Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:56 am

The Non-Citi, Chase, Amex, AoR

Til now, for about 2 years I have gotten most of the cards of consequence from those three so I am thinking about the following cards mainly with an eye on cash back- Will it be possible to get all of these?

Us Bank: Club Carlson
Pen Fed: 3%
Bank of America: Virgin atlantic, alaska?
BankAmericard Privileges® with Cash Rewards
travelocity 4% back
Barclay Arrival

Right now I have the virgin atlantic from BA and the US and Lufthansa cards from Barclays

And in what order should I apply?

Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
You might not be able to pull off 3 BoA cards in one AoR.

If you are going to apply for more than one card, do it all in the same day.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
Looking for help/advice...

I'm thinking of my next AOR and have questions on when/if I can do the following:

1. US Air card - 35k, no fee.
I last had this card in Jan 2013 - has it been long enough for me to reapply?
Can I apply for both the Personal and the Business at the same time?

2. Starwood
I'm looking at applying for this for the first time, they keep hitting me up.
Can I apply for both the business and the personal at the same time?
I also had an Amex Plat card that was cancelled 2 months ago - will this affect me with SPG?

Any advice would be awesome!!
Thanks!
T
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
2. Starwood
I'm looking at applying for this for the first time, they keep hitting me up.
Can I apply for both the business and the personal at the same time?
I also had an Amex Plat card that was cancelled 2 months ago - will this affect me with SPG?

Any advice would be awesome!!
Thanks!
T
You should be fine.

Historically, Amex has increased the SPG bonus to 30K around the end of July/month of August. Waiting may net you an additional 5K per card.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by agp423
You might not be able to pull off 3 BoA cards in one AoR.

If you are going to apply for more than one card, do it all in the same day.
I hear- So with alaska being only 25k Id prob try another VA and the cash back card.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: US, AA, UA, LH, VX
Hi All- Planning on doing my Second AoR tomorrow (First one was in Feb.) but my goal is more towards hotels (which I am less familiar with compared to airlines) since I have a trip planned for Copenhagen, Istanbul, and Greece coming up beginning of September. I don't normally stay in major chain hotels when traveling, so looking for advice if I'm on the right track for these hotel cards (am I missing anything? Here are the cards I'm planning on applying for:

US Bank Club Carlson (85k)
Chase Hyatt (2 free nights)
Chase Priority Club (80k)
AMEX Starwood (25k)

Debating to throw in the Barclays Lufthansa Card (50k) b/c I have 10K LH orphan miles

Scores: (Credit Karma 778 / Credit Sesame 734)
Last AoR (Feb.) 4 Cards: CSP, US Air, 2 AA (50K/30K)
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by michael21
Right now I have the virgin atlantic from BA and the US and Lufthansa cards from Barclays
How long have you had your Barclays cards? Any shorter than 6 months and it'll be a tough sell to add another one. At 6 months, they seem to like to see you with consistent spending on your cards.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by jmdeng
How long have you had your Barclays cards? Any shorter than 6 months and it'll be a tough sell to add another one. At 6 months, they seem to like to see you with consistent spending on your cards.
Well the Us airways is coming up on a year but practically no spend on it and the lufthansa about a month but I've put about 5,000 and obviously will pay it all off...I feel barclays is a crap shoot any way you slice it.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:19 pm

travelocity is also barclays card.
There are mixed reports about 2 barclays cards in 1 AOR.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Ah so I might apply, try to get it approved and then apply for next one.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:31 pm

td bank

Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Any thoughts on the TD bank 5%?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 5:46 pm

My opinion, which may differ from others, is the following. US bank Club Carlson:good bonus and attractive earn rate, with good coverage in Scandinavia. Check which bureau, they pull, though.US bank does not like a lot of recent inquiries. If they pull a different agency from CITI and Chase, you should be fine. You probably should pick just one card from Chase, since you just got one
from them recently. Besides, two are unlikely to be approved at one time. I suggest Priority club, since it gives free night anywhere each year and points might go further,
although I am not familiar with your destinations. Personally, I would hold off on SPG
card , till they increase the bonus to 30000, unless the places you are going to, have
hotels in category 1 or 2 AND you can meet the spend quickly. To me beyond those categories, conversion to miles makes more sense. My 2 cents.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:07 pm

The modified app-o-rama (mAOR)

With the recent abrupt closure of some good deals like aa 50k, us 40k, amex biz 75k, and amex plat 100k, I've adopted a modified app-or-rama where i basically apply for 1-3 cards if a good deal comes around and i wait at least 1-2 months in between.

For me, i managed to get amex plat 100k (jan) aa 50k x2 (jan) and us 35k (feb) but missed out on us 40k and amex biz 75k. Got ink 50k april.

This month or next will get hawaiin airlines biz 35k with first purchase and first year free before that deal goes away.

If history repeats itself, spg will be 30k around august.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by nrdk
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did just open the Ink Bold about 2 months ago, so figure I may wait another couple months to do a churn. My AAoA is 6 years + some change. I've had 4 inquiries on my credit report over the last year, 2 for a mortgage, 1 for the Ink, and 1 due to opening a new bank account (which they swore up and down wouldn't generate a hard inquiry but it did). My credit scores average out to 770.

Making up the 22k United wouldn't be too bad, as my local office store has GC that I can churn at $6.95/1000 points with Ink.

For the planned AOR, what is the best method to meet requirements? And order to apply for best chance of all approvals?
If you got the Ink plus it would make your life easier by 10k UA miles...but I'd try getting it only if the AOR is atleast 2 months away.

There's a very small chance of you getting approved for the Ink Plus so soon after the Bold.

Assuming the current list stands,here's what I'd do.

In order of priority.

Club Carlson
CSP (or Ink Plus)
Chase United
Amex Hilton
BoA HA
BoH HA

As for meeting spend...Check out the "manufactured spend" forum.
Amazon Payments, Vanilla Reloads, Gift Cards, Google Wallet...Take your pic.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by familypoints
My opinion, which may differ from others, is the following. US bank Club Carlson:good bonus and attractive earn rate, with good coverage in Scandinavia. Check which bureau, they pull, though.US bank does not like a lot of recent inquiries. If they pull a different agency from CITI and Chase, you should be fine. You probably should pick just one card from Chase, since you just got one
from them recently. Besides, two are unlikely to be approved at one time. I suggest Priority club, since it gives free night anywhere each year and points might go further,
although I am not familiar with your destinations. Personally, I would hold off on SPG
card , till they increase the bonus to 30000, unless the places you are going to, have
hotels in category 1 or 2 AND you can meet the spend quickly. To me beyond those categories, conversion to miles makes more sense. My 2 cents.
I agree with this.
BrandonDuh, ditch the SPG and try getting the Chase Priority Club card.
Choose the Hyatt only if you're planning to stay at a really fancy Hyatt,because that's where the real value of those 2night certs lie. The PC card is a better option.

If you're focusing on hotels...How about this.

Citi Hilton. 50k
Amex Hilton. 50k
Bank of American Hawaiian Airlines. 35k miles transferred over to Hilton converts to 70k points.
Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines. Same. = 70k.

Total Hilton haul = 240k points. Enough for about 3 nights.

Or substitute the Citi Hilton for the Citi Hilton Reserve and get 2 certs valid on weekends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.