Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:19 am

I'd hold off on the Chase BA card in hopes of another 100K offer later this year or early next year. From your list, definitely add the Amex Benz card and/or SPG biz. You could also do the Barclays Lufthansa card or the Virgin Atlantic card from BofA.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by summerdayshopping
johnnie198x is right, all real time inquiries now. One benefit of AOR is that some banks consolidate all same day credit pulls to one...
Any more information on this? Like which banks combine all pulls into one? Is it within the same bank, or with other bank's pulls?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by pricesquire
I'm a (Relative) newbie here...and from what I can gather, the only two plusses of doing an AoR versus staggering your apps are these:

1) Hard credit inquiries take 24-48 hours to post, so CC companies won't see you've been applying for a lot of cards recently.

2) Easier than staggering...get it all out of the way...

By that logic, is the only negative of staggering vs AoR:

1) Higher chance of denial bc CC companies will see what you're up to

2) May get more confusing/messier?

*Long story short, I started churning before I knew about AoRs and FT. I've been staggering. Part of me wants to wait 6-12 months to "restart" this mess and start doing AoRs. The other part of me says I've yet to have a single CC denial and I like staggering my spending requirements.

Am I wrong?

Mine is very similar. I do 5-6 per year for myself and 5-6 for my wife. Makes spend easier, I'm not into mfg. spend. I usually have apps dropping off at same time I'm adding. Like you said I've never been denied and only had to call once. Like some one else said if it works for you that's all that counts. Information is to be used and filtered to make what works best the for you.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:36 am

have the hyatt and virgin atlantic, I have 2 barclays cards that are less than 9 months old(us air, travelocity)...I think I will just apply for 1 more barclays for now...I heard they are tightening up.

I think I will add spg biz and amex benz to the 3 I already picked
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: Work in progress.
1-800-947-1444

Please read all the posts made by user gpapadop in the Club Carlson thread.
I've included the link.

Start at the bottom, and go up. Open each post and read it. From what I remember, he managed to get somebody to MANUALLY review his account, and then approve it.

That's all that I can suggest. Let us know how it goes.

P.S - Did you not apply for the Club carlson before the other cards?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:29 pm

Have you considered buying the car with Gift Cards that you bought though an Office Supply Store to get 5 points for your Ultimate Rewards?

I am not serious, just messing around.

However, after you finish negotiating the price, pull out your credit card and say you plan to pay the down payment on the credit card. Most dealers will let you pay $2,000-$5,000 on a CC, it never hurts to ask. So if that is the case, you should do the credit card churn and hit the spending bonus in one shot on your Ink Bold or Ink Plus or whatever you end up getting.

Also, IMHO I don't think you will drop 40+ points below 720 with a CC churn and once your score clears that hurdle, it is unlikely that loan originator will care if you recently applied for a few cards.

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:53 pm

Skip the churn, especially if you think it'll affect your credit score so much it takes you below the 750 level. Most car loan/leases have tiers based on credit scores so if you want the best rate, you'll want the best score possible. You could do the churn the same day the dealer pulls your credit, or just wait til after.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 12:35 am

Planning an apporama in a week. I have successfully been accepted for two new chase cards in each of my last two apporamas. Now I'm thinking about going for 3. I want the Bold/Ink card, the Marriott card, and the Sapphire. My plan was to apply for the Marriott. Assuming automatic acceptance I would apply for the Bold card and call recon if needed. Then I could go into the branch and apply for the Sapphire with 2000 spent instead of 3000. Is this possible or am I crazy?
Would it be better to apply in branch before or after the rest of the apporama? Thanks for the help guys!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by TravelSummary
I'd hold off on the Chase BA card in hopes of another 100K offer later this year or early next year. From your list, definitely add the Amex Benz card and/or SPG biz. You could also do the Barclays Lufthansa card or the Virgin Atlantic card from BofA.
I'd agree with this. Also, are you comfortable doing business cards? Try to break up 2 Chase cards into 1 personal, 1 business.

Also, what are your goals? That would probably help us make better recommendations. The Citi Hilton Reserve gets you 2 free nights which is valuable if you're looking at using them at higher end resorts.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:30 pm

Help me plan my AoR for this Friday

I would try my luck on the Barclay LH if you can handle the spend. It'll be going away at the end of the month and the last time they have 50k promo was over a yr ago. I would even go as far as applying for this before the Barclay US MC cuz in case you get denied on your second Barclay card then you can try again in 90 days (there is a good chance the Barclay US MC will still be around)
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:48 pm

citi mastercard aadvantage 40k - approved after call
amex prg 25k - instantly approved
BOA alaska airways 25k w/100 statement credit - pending - after hours could not call
barclays arrival - pending - after hours could not call

chase business united 50k - denied, too many inquires/credit, I called twice
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:43 am

BOA alaska airways 25k w/100 statement credit - approved after call, and moving 5K credit from virgin atlantic card

barclays arrival - denied, too many inquires/credit, I called once

So not the best outcome...I think I need to cool off for awhile and let these inquiries get off my record. Any advice?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by drdrew450
BOA alaska airways 25k w/100 statement credit - approved after call, and moving 5K credit from virgin atlantic card

barclays arrival - denied, too many inquires/credit, I called once

So not the best outcome...I think I need to cool off for awhile and let these inquiries get off my record. Any advice?
what order did u do it at? i would have submitted chase united biz first, gotten approval, then applied for the others.

u can try again tomorrow morning 8am. i've found that i get more approvals that way in the morning when they've had their coffee in a good mood...hehe.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by webazoid
what order did u do it at? i would have submitted chase united biz first, gotten approval, then applied for the others.

u can try again tomorrow morning 8am. i've found that i get more approvals that way in the morning when they've had their coffee in a good mood...hehe.
I pretty much applied for all of them at once, within a few mins. The Amex was last cause it didn't go through the first time. Actually the Boa alaska was last, I threw it in cause I was upset about my chase denial (I know thats rational right)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450
I pretty much applied for all of them at once, within a few mins. The Amex was last cause it didn't go through the first time. Actually the Boa alaska was last, I threw it in cause I was upset about my chase denial (I know thats rational right)
lol. why did u apply for 25k prg? i've seen promotions for 50k prg before. if it's spg, i'd wait til august when they have 30k bonuses from time to time.

my other tip is always try to get at least one biz card in with each churn. it's a good way to "hide" your cards from other banks and closing it won't affect ur credit score. for example, if u had a amex biz spg, chase is not gonna know that u had opened it, and they're not gonna know that u had closed it. all they're gonna see is a credit pull. on the other hand, if u had a personal amex card, chase will see that u had opened a new card and how much credit was issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.