Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by dwei
Recently got an e-mail for a 30k offer expiring 16/1/14 for SPG Amex Personal (10k+20k after 5k spend in 6 mos). Anyone else get this e-mail?
Be sure you confirm the bonus before you apply and then hope for the best. Wife and applied for this same AMEX offer this fall and after completing the minimum spend, AMEX refused to honor the 20k bonus offer. I spoke with several reps and I was told that since we already had an AMEX card (Blue Cash), we were not going to get any bonus points, We have since cancelled the Starwood cards and will likely not look to AMEX for any new cards. Too bad as I was looking to open a business account but will now use Chase.

Good luck!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
No. Not even for a job that required a credit pull because the company had to issue a CC for travel. I had ~20 inquiries across the three bureaus from the past year and opened about 8 or 9 CCs. The employer did not say a word.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I don't know that poor credit will automatically disqualify a prospective employee for non-financial jobs. Rather, the credit report provides just one more datapoint on the applicant.

It isn't just employers using credit reports as part of hiring criteria, insurance companies also use them when calculating premiums (at least in the USA).
Credit data is used as a proxy for stability and willingness in many areas. Definitely used in insurance premium calculations and good credit yields a larger discount than anything else including g multiple lines etc. Credit data is also used in healthcare, for instance a score has been built predicting propensity to take medications that have been prescribed. Télécom and mobile phone providers use credit data to determine the need for and amount of a deposit.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: UA, AA EXP
Recently got an e-mail for a 30k offer expiring 16/1/14 for SPG Amex Personal (10k+20k after 5k spend in 6 mos). Anyone else get this e-mail?
thats nice. recently my 18months old got targeted for 50k PRG :/, i dont mind that either... tho
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mystiqz
Not really if you go to Chase's web site, you wont find the Airtran card. Not too sure where you found this link, I wish I had gotten the old offer, for 2 rt ticket and 2 upgrade cert to biz...
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by babycakes01
Quote:

Be sure you confirm the bonus before you apply and then hope for the best. Wife and applied for this same AMEX offer this fall and after completing the minimum spend, AMEX refused to honor the 20k bonus offer. I spoke with several reps and I was told that since we already had an AMEX card (Blue Cash), we were not going to get any bonus points, We have since cancelled the Starwood cards and will likely not look to AMEX for any new cards. Too bad as I was looking to open a business account but will now use Chase.

Good luck!
We also had this issue when I was applying for my parents in August. They didn't use any benefits with the delta platinum (and I wanted to switch them to UR and AA points) so I decided to cancel that card and then apply for the gold card for the sign up bonus (would've given them enough for two RT to Europe by topping off their points). Plus no annual fee the first year, so they will close it next year and be done with Delta.

BEFORE I signed up for the card, I went and chatted online with them about making sure we would receive the bonus. They said yes and I PDF'd the conversation.

Fought with AMEX hands and fists about how we signed up under the terms with the sign up bonus, etc etc. Finally some CSR gave me the idea to take it up with their marketing department, so I did and messaged them copies of the app terms and conversation. Points posted within a month! Didn't expect them too but what happily surprised when my mom let me know.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Etihad Gold, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by babycakes01

Good luck!
That's crazy! How could they do that? If you had SPG already and wanted another SPG bonus, that would make sense. But BCP is completely different than SPG.

Healthnut's example is a bit more understandable, since they were both Delta bonuses, but still very shady on AmEx's part. Good job documenting ToC and correspondence.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by nmp0
I am planning a AOR on 12/23 and would appreciate any feedback.

{SNIP}

Plan (in order, CR I think they will pull):

(TU) US Bank: Club Carlson Premier Personal 85k & Business 85k (I froze the 2 bureaus)
(TU) Barclays: Arrival 40k & US Airways Premier World 30k
(?) CapitalOne: Venture $200 & Spark Cash $150
(Ex) Amex: SPG Business 25k & Hilton Reserve 60k
(Ex/Eq) Citi: AA Plat Personal 50k & Business 50k (8 days later)
(Ex/Eq) Chase: Ink Bold 50k & British Airways 100k

{SNIP}
UPDATE:

I ended up applying for 7 cards. I'm 5/7 and waiting on the last two.

1) Club Carlson Personal - Only ARS froze, other didn't. Approved with generous CL. Pulled EQ which had 8 pulls in 12 mos, got lucky I guess.

2) British Airways 100k - Not instant, called 1 hour later, verified identity and approved for 3x CL of existing Chase cards. Pulled EX & EQ.

3) SPG Business - Instant Approval. Asked lots of questions about business when I activated and started with low CL but said will raise in 3 months if I show need. Pulled EX.

4) Citi AA Personal - Website glitched during app but called in and was approved with generous CL. Pulled EX.

5) Ink Plus - Not instant approval. Called in and answer lots of questions about business. Approved with decent CL. Pulled EX & EQ (don't know if personal pulled one and business pulled other)

6) TD Bank (5% for 6mos) - Not instant approval. I'll probably wait and see what comes in the mail. Pulled EX.

7) Amex Hilton (no fee) - Not instant approval. Called and they said I had to wait 5 days since I applied for 2 cards in the same day. Will call back 12/30. Only 1 Pull from AMEX so far, hopefully they don't do a second pull.

I'm pleased and will have plenty to keep me busy for 6 months till the next AOR.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:04 pm

UPDATE:

I ended up applying for 7 cards. I'm 5/7 and waiting on the last two.

1) Club Carlson Personal - Only ARS froze, other didn't. Approved with generous CL. Pulled EQ which had 8 pulls in 12 mos, got lucky I guess.

2) British Airways 100k - Not instant, called 1 hour later, verified identity and approved for 3x CL of existing Chase cards. Pulled EX & EQ.

3) SPG Business - Instant Approval. Asked lots of questions about business when I activated and started with low CL but said will raise in 3 months if I show need. Pulled EX.

4) Citi AA Personal - Website glitched during app but called in and was approved with generous CL. Pulled EX.

5) Ink Plus - Not instant approval. Called in and answer lots of questions about business. Approved with decent CL. Pulled EX & EQ (don't know if personal pulled one and business pulled other)

6) TD Bank (5% for 6mos) - Not instant approval. I'll probably wait and see what comes in the mail. Pulled EX.

7) Amex Hilton (no fee) - Not instant approval. Called and they said I had to wait 5 days since I applied for 2 cards in the same day. Will call back 12/30. Only 1 Pull from AMEX so far, hopefully they don't do a second pull.

I'm pleased and will have plenty to keep me busy for 6 months till the next AOR.

I might be coming into this conversation late, but I noticed that you skipped the Barclay's cards in your AOR that were in your original list. How come? Was it a concern that they would not be approved because of all of the other applications? Planning some applications of my own in January.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jetsfan
I might be coming into this conversation late, but I noticed that you skipped the Barclay's cards in your AOR that were in your original list. How come? Was it a concern that they would not be approved because of all of the other applications? Planning some applications of my own in January.
Especially since Barclay pulls Transunion exclusively.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Not really if you go to Chase's web site, you wont find the Airtran card. Not too sure where you found this link, I wish I had gotten the old offer, for 2 rt ticket and 2 upgrade cert to biz...
Just where all good things are found--elsewhere. The offer is working, although there are no upgrades anymore. However, AF is waived for the first year, the old offer didn't waive AF.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by woow14610
Thank you so much. Could you please clarify what is Transfer means? Also since my wife already have AA personal cards and planning to cancel in this round will that effect her approval for the business cards?

Thanks,
You can transfer Chase UR points to some airlines at 1:1, like United, Southwest, Korean, British Airways.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Especially since Barclay pulls Transunion exclusively.
They pull Experian for me. Dangerous to overgeneralize.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
They pull Experian for me. Dangerous to overgeneralize.
Strange. Other threads I've read say Barclays reliably pulls only Transunion except for reconsiderations.

Fortunately it was Transunion for me too.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

You will ONLY be approved instantly with AMEX on one card the other card will have to wait, usually 5 days. you were sent a e-mail that allows you to check to see the status of the app. I had to wait 6 days but was approved..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.