Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Google Doc - Debit Cards Available with no Fees

Please refer to the Google doc and update as needed for the most comprehensive list of debit cards and their charges (or lack thereof)

Visa Exchange Rates

MasterCard Exchange Rates
Print Wikipost

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Just an update for you all. I did get my atm fee reimbursed, but no message was ever written back which is fine as all I care about is the fee reimbursement.

Since I didnt get a message I am wondering if it was automatic? But then how would schwab know there was a 2 dollar fee?

Some atms roll the fee into your withdrawal, and others charge it seperately as another line item. Are both reimbursed automatically? But then how would schwab know how much the fee was if it was all one transaction?

A 40 dollar withdrawal and a 2 dollar fee I imagine they will reimburse automatically, but if it shows up as a 42 dollar withdrawal that isnt automatic right?
Old May 2, 2015, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I have used my Schwab Platinum debit card (I have only a brokerage account) at ATMs in the States, Israel, and Europe and have always had the ATM fees returned immediately.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
I keep on reading posts about how Schwab is superior to Fidelity. Well, Fidelity reimburses me almost immediately for ATM fees...YMMV...
What's the idea of getting reimbursement in the first place?

I use PenFed, I'm charged the exact exchange rate for the dollar that I see on XE.com - no reimbursement, no waiting, no nothing ... just take what I need from the ATM and pay the EXACT amount in USD in return .. why do I need to bother dealing with "reimbursement" cards instead?!
Old May 6, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jumperabv3
What's the idea of getting reimbursement in the first place?

I use PenFed, I'm charged the exact exchange rate for the dollar that I see on XE.com - no reimbursement, no waiting, no nothing ... just take what I need from the ATM and pay the EXACT amount in USD in return .. why do I need to bother dealing with "reimbursement" cards instead?!
The reimbursement is of ATM fees that you are charged by the banks that own the ATMs you use. When you withdraw money, there are two ATM fees, one that your bank charges you and another that the bank that owns the ATM charges you. No ATM fees could mean your bank doesn't charge you a fee, but the bank owning the ATM may charge you. Schwab reimburses you for the latter fee.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I've been thinking about how MC seems to provide better exchange rates at least in certain instances and am wondering if anyone's found anything better than Capital One's checking account with a MC debit card. Its debit card is definitely not ideal compared to Schwab or Fidelity's though (no EMV and doesn't reimburse ATM fees are the two big issues). OTOH the savings from a better exchange rate might not make up for the ATM fees being charged so perhaps Schwab's Visa debit card still works out better in the end?
Old May 16, 2015, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I've been thinking about how MC seems to provide better exchange rates at least in certain instances and am wondering if anyone's found anything better than Capital One's checking account with a MC debit card. Its debit card is definitely not ideal compared to Schwab or Fidelity's though (no EMV and doesn't reimburse ATM fees are the two big issues). OTOH the savings from a better exchange rate might not make up for the ATM fees being charged so perhaps Schwab's Visa debit card still works out better in the end?
USAA apparently refunds foreign ATM fees. It definitely refunds domestic ones, up to $15 per month, but the reports on foreign fees are mixed. You still get charged a 1% fee, but it's a Mastercard. For a limited time, there's a way for general public people to join. According to their site, debit will have chip mid this year. https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bk_cc_chipcardLP_landing_mkt?adID=VURL_chipcard
Old May 16, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Originally Posted by Phantom707
USAA apparently refunds foreign ATM fees. It definitely refunds domestic ones, up to $15 per month, but the reports on foreign fees are mixed. You still get charged a 1% fee, but it's a Mastercard. For a limited time, there's a way for general public people to join. According to their site, debit will have chip mid this year. https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bk_c...=VURL_chipcard
Is USAA signature or pin priority these days (was definitely switched to signature a while back)?

"When a card is inserted, you'll leave it in the terminal during the transaction. You'll sign if required. And don't forget to take your card."

isn't very encouraging to me.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
USAA apparently refunds foreign ATM fees. It definitely refunds domestic ones, up to $15 per month, but the reports on foreign fees are mixed. You still get charged a 1% fee, but it's a Mastercard. For a limited time, there's a way for general public people to join. According to their site, debit will have chip mid this year. https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/bk_c...=VURL_chipcard
How exactly can the general public join?
Old May 16, 2015, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
How exactly can the general public join?
Invest some time into maximizing your money and you should be able to broker some clues. Mystery.

USAA only allows you to open banking accounts if you're already a USAA member. For a limited time, you can become a member (despite not being part of the military) by opening up a brokerage account. This will also give you 50 free trades (I forget when they expire; I opened my accounts years ago). The public opening apparently lasts until June 30. http://www.maximizingmoney.com/inves...des-promotion/
Old May 16, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Invest some time into maximizing your money and you should be able to broker some clues. Mystery.

USAA only allows you to open banking accounts if you're already a USAA member. For a limited time, you can become a member (despite not being part of the military) by opening up a brokerage account. This will also give you 50 free trades (I forget when they expire; I opened my accounts years ago). The public opening apparently lasts until June 30. http://www.maximizingmoney.com/inves...des-promotion/
Any pulls for the brokerage account?
Old May 16, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Any pulls for the brokerage account?
Honestly, it's been so long since I actually opened my USAA brokerage account that I really don't know and would not be able to check (greater than two years). At worst, you could call them up and ask; USAA is known for being pretty good at customer service.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles

Expiration 90 days per link you provided.

"After 50 free trades or 90 days, whichever comes first, your account will revert to the gold or platinum fee schedule, depending on asset and activity levels."

Without pin priority, what is the benefit (not available with even better rewards elsewhere) of USAA MC card please?

Wonder if brokerage account can be closed after getting USAA membership?

Last edited by uds0; May 17, 2015 at 8:27 am Reason: wonder ...
Old May 26, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Fidelity Cash Management ATM Card

Used the Fidelity ATM card in Asia ATMs last year without any problems. Now going to Europe. Should I expect the same easy use there? Any problems using it in European ATMs?

Thanks for your insights!
Old May 27, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by 747FC
Used the Fidelity ATM card in Asia ATMs last year without any problems. Now going to Europe. Should I expect the same easy use there? Any problems using it in European ATMs?

Thanks for your insights!
Should be fine.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Just an update for you all. I did get my atm fee reimbursed, but no message was ever written back which is fine as all I care about is the fee reimbursement.

Since I didnt get a message I am wondering if it was automatic? But then how would schwab know there was a 2 dollar fee?

Some atms roll the fee into your withdrawal, and others charge it seperately as another line item. Are both reimbursed automatically? But then how would schwab know how much the fee was if it was all one transaction?

A 40 dollar withdrawal and a 2 dollar fee I imagine they will reimburse automatically, but if it shows up as a 42 dollar withdrawal that isnt automatic right?
The bank is told how much was withdrawn and how much was fee. It might not show on the receipt, but Schwab knows, otherwise the other bank would be committing fraud.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.