FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1272086-debit-cards-without-forex-fee-other-bank-atm-fees.html)

Explore Oct 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

I hear that Bank of Internet has started charging 1% on overseas ATM withdrawals using their Visa debit card. No charge accrues for withdrawals at other bank ATMs up to $8/month, since B of I has no ATMs of their own.

What debit cards are still forex-free overseas and also allow wide-ranging other-bank ATM use without fee?

cbn42 Oct 23, 2011 3:31 pm

Capital One has checking accounts which give you debit cards without international fees.

Maybe your local credit union or community bank might have such an account as well. Mine does not charge you to use another bank's ATM (domestic or foreign) as long as you have a $5000 balance. However you still have to pay the surcharge, but most countries don't have ATM surcharges.

aBroadAbroad Oct 24, 2011 9:22 am

Schwab High Yield Investor Checking/Savings and Interest Checking Plus refunds fees for ATM cash withdrawals only. Other fees associated with the use of the debit card are not refunded (e.g., balance inquiry, POS transactions, etc.).

MrPink Oct 24, 2011 1:56 pm

FYI Ally just changed things where they will no longer refund international ATM fees.

dchoe Oct 24, 2011 2:49 pm

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...reign_Exchange

diljs Nov 1, 2011 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by dchoe (Post 17328578)

was about to link the same.

lakers6902 Nov 1, 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by MrPink (Post 17328290)
FYI Ally just changed things where they will no longer refund international ATM fees.

I thought they always charged 1% in foriegn atm fees...

flydeu Nov 2, 2011 7:24 am

For those in Germany, DKB offer fee free cash withdrawls to any currency worldwide and the exchange rate is generally the same or slightly better than other providers.

mith Jan 18, 2012 10:37 am

ATM withdrawl

Which of those cards is the best for ATM withdrawals abroad? Which card also doesnt charge fees and which allows to have a postitive balance, so you dont get nailed with interest until you pay the bill (as many cards charge interest for cash withdrawal from the date you used the ATM)

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jan 18, 2012 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mith (Post 17837555)
Which of those cards is the best for ATM withdrawals abroad? Which card also doesnt charge fees and which allows to have a postitive balance, so you dont get nailed with interest until you pay the bill (as many cards charge interest for cash withdrawal from the date you used the ATM)

Charles Schwab Bank.

sdsearch Jan 18, 2012 11:02 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 17837596)
Charles Schwab Bank.

What Charles Schwab card are you referring to? The old one is esentially dead. That was the whole reason the OP started this thread!

(Note: By "this thread", I meant the credit cards with no transaction fee sticky that these posts originated in.)

mia Jan 18, 2012 11:12 am

Moderator action

mith's question has been moved to this thread from another. I believe the confusion arises because mith is asking about using a credit card for ATM withdrawals, and FlyMeToTheLooneyBin's reply refers to a debit card. Both options will probably be of interest to others.

Substantial discussion of the international ATM access with a Schwab debit card is embedded within this thread. The credit card discussed in the thread title is no longer available, but the ATM program should be unaffected:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...erything.html?

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jan 18, 2012 11:39 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 17837736)
What Charles Schwab card are you referring to? The old one is esentially dead. That was the whole reason the OP started this thread!

(Note: By "this thread", I meant the credit cards with no transaction fee sticky that these posts originated in.)

Sorry. I was running late so my reply was terse. :)

As mia said, I was referring to the debit card. I didn't know we were still talking about credit cards. :)

joshwex90 Jan 19, 2012 4:05 am

Incorrect info regarding Capital One

Capital One charges know foreign transaction fee when withdrawing from a foreign ATM. HOWEVER, they do charge the same $2 fee that they always charge when using a non-Capital One ATM. This is the same as TD Bank, for example. TD, however, waives the non-TD ATM fee in some cases. There are a bunch of accounts, that coupled with a minimum daily balance of $2500 will waive the non-TD ATM fee. These accounts are free.
Ally refunds all ATM fees within the USA. Outside the USA, they do not refund the fee AND charge a 1% foreign transaction fee.

I believe Charles Schwabb is the only bank left that will allow you to withdraw for no fee at all on any account. If you keep a higher daily balance than $2500, TD may be a good idea.

greenbed Jan 19, 2012 9:12 am

I have used TD Ameritrade, Charles Schwab Bank, and Fidelity Cash Management abroad and all three give the same exact exchange rate for ATM use with no fees whatsoever. There are reports of Fidelity charging a 1% foreign transaction fee but I have never been charged this. My experience is only with ATM use and not with visa debit at a merchant.

All 3 are great choices with no minimum balance.