Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Google Doc - Debit Cards Available with no Fees

Please refer to the Google doc and update as needed for the most comprehensive list of debit cards and their charges (or lack thereof)

Visa Exchange Rates

MasterCard Exchange Rates
Print Wikipost

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I did a bit more research and if the comments on http://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/the-...eign-atm-fees/ are accurate, Capital One 360 actually has a 1% FTF as of four months ago. Meaning that even with the supposed favorable exchange rate MasterCard gives compared to Visa, it ends up being no better than Schwab and may in fact be worse due to the former not reimbursing ATM fees. I really wish they just said that in the FAQ instead of using the weasel language that they used. Google Doc updated.

(If they were more forthcoming I may have gotten one anyway. An online PIN preferring debit card would have been nice to use to occasionally test EMV deployments in the US with. It may have also been a good backup in the event I ever run into an ATM abroad that doesn't support Visa so I don't end up paying cash advance fees/interest.)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by tmiw
I did a bit more research and if the comments on http://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/the-...eign-atm-fees/ are accurate, Capital One 360 actually has a 1% FTF as of four months ago. Meaning that even with the supposed favorable exchange rate MasterCard gives compared to Visa, it ends up being no better than Schwab and may in fact be worse due to the former not reimbursing ATM fees. I really wish they just said that in the FAQ instead of using the weasel language that they used. Google Doc updated.

(If they were more forthcoming I may have gotten one anyway. An online PIN preferring debit card would have been nice to use to occasionally test EMV deployments in the US with. It may have also been a good backup in the event I ever run into an ATM abroad that doesn't support Visa so I don't end up paying cash advance fees/interest.)
Thanks for the update re Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct). I was about to open a checking account with them to get access to their debit card but if they are charging 1% ftf then they are out. Their FAQs aren't very clear on the ftf fee http://helpcenter.capitalone360.com/...ory=C3BNKEOBAS
"Foreign Transaction. When using your Card(s) for transactions made in foreign currency or for what MasterCard® classifies as a cross-border transaction, a charge may be applied by MasterCard® (if it’s in a foreign currency, this will be based on the amount after it’s converted to U.S. Dollars by MasterCard®). Please remember to notify us if you are travelling overseas."

Does anyone have any experience with the Capital One 360 debit card overseas in the past few months? Is a 1% fee charged?

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Aug 1, 2015 at 5:08 pm
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday I used my Schwab card at a credit union ATM and noticed that there was a Deposit option in the main menu. I was going to try it and see if it worked but the ATM wanted to charge me $2.50 to do so (free to withdraw though!) My questions are:
  1. Would it have worked at all? I thought I saw something a while back that said it wouldn't have so I'm not sure.
  2. If it worked, would Schwab reimburse that charge or do they only do that of withdrawal fees?
If Yes for both it would be a good alternative to depositing in my main bank's ATM first and then doing an electronic transfer. ^
Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Thanks for the update re Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct). I was about to open a checking account with them to get access to their debit card but if they are charging 1% ftf then they are out. Their FAQs aren't very clear on the ftf fee http://helpcenter.capitalone360.com/...ory=C3BNKEOBAS
"Foreign Transaction. When using your Card(s) for transactions made in foreign currency or for what MasterCard® classifies as a cross-border transaction, a charge may be applied by MasterCard® (if it’s in a foreign currency, this will be based on the amount after it’s converted to U.S. Dollars by MasterCard®). Please remember to notify us if you are travelling overseas."

Does anyone have any experience with the Capital One 360 debit card overseas in the past few months? Is a 1% fee charged?
I called Capital One today to inquire about the FTF, and was told that only the MC charge and any bank fee (by another bank) would be charged. Also that you will not be charged a bank fee for using any Allpoint ATM, including those not in the US.

I have two trips to Europe planned over the next 6 months, and after ridiculous BOA fees in Canada last month, am willing to give Cap1 a try.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I called Capital One today to inquire about the FTF, and was told that only the MC charge and any bank fee (by another bank) would be charged. Also that you will not be charged a bank fee for using any Allpoint ATM, including those not in the US.

I have two trips to Europe planned over the next 6 months, and after ridiculous BOA fees in Canada last month, am willing to give Cap1 a try.
I believe the Mastercard charge they are referring to is the 1% charge although not 100% sure.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I know Capital One charges $2 for using non-Capital One ATMs. Does Capital One 360 have that charge when using ATMs? What about internationally?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:24 pm

Debit Card: Foreign Withdrawls & Fee's

Sorry I cant find a dedicated Debit card forum, so I'm posting here.

I'm leaving in a month to Europe for a few weeks and while I have a few credit cards that don't have foreign transactions fees, I would like to have some cash on hand, especially when paying for cheaper things and having a coffee or drink at a cafe. No need to use a credit card for 3 euros

I'm looking for a bank/branch that doesn't charge any fees when withdrawing money internationally. I currently have Chase. I dont want to open any money market like the Charles Swab, etc. Is there another bank or credit union I that doesn't have any fee's?

I've done some searching a lot of articles are now a few years old with mixed information. I know bofa now charges when before they didnt, etc.
Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, OneWorld, SkyTeam
Get a Fidelity Cash Mangement account, no Fees.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-manage...count/overview
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by styxl
Get a Fidelity Cash Mangement account, no Fees.

https://www.fidelity.com/cash-manage...count/overview

Found this in their terms

Please note, there is a foreign transaction fee of one percent that is not waived, which will be included in the amount charged to your account.

Seems capital one 360 and fidelity both charge 1% ftf
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I already had a Schwab brokerage account when I opened my Schwab checking account, so now I have two. The second one has nothing in it though. In short, you don't actually have to use it, but it's nice to have the option of using it in the future.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by czech99
Found this in their terms

Please note, there is a foreign transaction fee of one percent that is not waived, which will be included in the amount charged to your account.

Seems capital one 360 and fidelity both charge 1% ftf
You wanted a quick cheap solution, you got a pretty good one. Yes, it will cost you 1%, that's a whole $1 when you withdraw $100. An ultra low fee compared with what the big banks charge.

See the google doc summary/wiki if you want a 0% solution, but may take you more than 1 month to set up. Even Fidelity takes some time to ship the debit card.

FYI I have used my Fidelity card all over the world without any security issues. That's another factor to consider.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by czech99
Sorry I cant find a dedicated Debit card forum, so I'm posting here.

I'm leaving in a month to Europe for a few weeks and while I have a few credit cards that don't have foreign transactions fees, I would like to have some cash on hand, especially when paying for cheaper things and having a coffee or drink at a cafe. No need to use a credit card for 3 euros

I'm looking for a bank/branch that doesn't charge any fees when withdrawing money internationally. I currently have Chase. I dont want to open any money market like the Charles Swab, etc. Is there another bank or credit union I that doesn't have any fee's?

I've done some searching a lot of articles are now a few years old with mixed information. I know bofa now charges when before they didnt, etc.
Thanks
I don't understand. Charles Schwab doesn't have any fees (either to open their acct or to use their card Internationally). But you don't want to open one. Yet you say you do want to open an account with another bank or credit union that doesn't have these fees. What is the difference? If you're going to open an account - why not open an account that meets your needs?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I don't understand. Charles Schwab doesn't have any fees (either to open their acct or to use their card Internationally). But you don't want to open one. Yet you say you do want to open an account with another bank or credit union that doesn't have these fees. What is the difference? If you're going to open an account - why not open an account that meets your needs?
Because from what I thought I read the Charles swab isn't a plain checking account.

Edit so it seems I misread. Did some further reading and turns out you don't need to use the brokerage account.

Opened the Charles swab account. Thanks guys

Last edited by czech99; Oct 1, 2015 at 6:20 pm
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

City National Bank's Platinum checking account reimburses ATM fees like Schwab does: https://www.cnb.com/sitepages/accoun...code=010&st=ca. I hesitated posting it in this thread though due to the 3% FTF but it might be an option for primarily domestic travelers who call California or one of the few other states with CNB branches home.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Anyone have experience with Capital one 360 in India/South Asia?

From what I recall, the 1% Mastercard fee for foreign withdrawals is covered by Capital One

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.