Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Google Doc - Debit Cards Available with no Fees

Please refer to the Google doc and update as needed for the most comprehensive list of debit cards and their charges (or lack thereof)

Visa Exchange Rates

MasterCard Exchange Rates
Print Wikipost

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2019, 12:19 pm

Aspiration update... they are now charging (or passing on) a 1% forex fee, which posts separately to your initial withdrawal.

And a shutdown from Needham Bank (which offers a Mastercard debit product)... they closed my debit card after three weeks of use and four withdrawals (around $20 in ATM fees) while leaving the checking account open. No notification given, only when I called to find out why the debit card was no longer working.

Last edited by mjjckc; Sep 17, 2019 at 2:28 pm Reason: consolidate posts
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:49 pm

USAA's system still attempts to refund ATM fees worldwide, but it's only a stated benefit in the US. If you get hit with a fee outside the US and their computer doesn't catch it, their employees are no longer interested in giving you the €2.50 back.

USAA does get 1% FTF, and they hide it--it's illegal to roll it into the amount on a statement... so your statement will show, say, €100 as $110.50 plus $1.11 in FTF, but online banking will show it as a single charge for $111.61.

I do most of my USD banking with USAA, but I have a Schwab checking account specifically for the ATM card to use it outside the US.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Sep 23, 2019 at 3:00 pm
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:29 am

Now that State Farm Bank is going to be taken over by US Bank, does anyone have any personal experience with Alliant CU savings account or Capital One 360 money market? Since savings accounts no longer have the 6 withdrawals/month limit.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by michael_v
Now that State Farm Bank is going to be taken over by US Bank, does anyone have any personal experience with Alliant CU savings account or Capital One 360 money market? Since savings accounts no longer have the 6 withdrawals/month limit.
I haven't used my Capital One 360 card overseas yet or really in ATMs in general but it seems to work well enough domestically for regular purchases. I will say that they require a DL scan to add their card to Google Pay, though, which seems more intrusive than any other bank or CU I've dealt with.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:10 pm

Since savings accounts no longer have the 6 withdrawals/month limit.
Just wanted to thank you for this. I somehow missed this when it happened. Good to know!
Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Do be careful, even though Reg D for the six saving withdrawals is gone, many banks still have fees if you exceed it, like BofA. So, it is not yet a free for all.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I haven't used my Capital One 360 card overseas yet or really in ATMs in general but it seems to work well enough domestically for regular purchases. I will say that they require a DL scan to add their card to Google Pay, though, which seems more intrusive than any other bank or CU I've dealt with.
I've used the card overseas, no issues. The exchange rate was slightly worse than my Schwab and credit cards, but not enough to make a difference. Be awareCapital One 360 doesn't reimburse ATM fees charged by operators.

Also I didn't have to put in my DL for google/samsung pay, but I had 2 factor authentication enabled.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 3:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Since savings accounts no longer have the 6 withdrawals/month limit.
I am missing the context for this sentence. ATM withdrawals were never included in the 6/month limit, and ATM use seems to be the topic of this thread?
Old Aug 29, 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I am missing the context for this sentence. ATM withdrawals were never included in the 6/month limit, and ATM use seems to be the topic of this thread?
I did not know ATM withdrawals were not subjected to the 6/month limit. Thank you!
Old Sep 7, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: Skypass/Krisflyer
Has anyone used the Betterment ATM debit card either in the US or in Europe? I signed on with them because they claim there are no fees for ATM use
anywhere. But if someone knows this to be the case from experience I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.

Well, so I just talked to a rep on the phone and she said Yes, that they refund all fees for overseas ATMs as well as domestic. And their debit card has cell phone insurance. However, when I called the number on the Betterment page to ask about the details on the cell phone insurance, I wound up with a health insurance rep
who had no clue what I was on about. I think Betterment screwed up their copy and paste on their webpage and if they can't get that right, well, do I want to use them?

Last edited by kavade; Oct 10, 2020 at 5:53 pm Reason: More info
Old Sep 10, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by mia
From a checking account, you are correct, but from a savings or MMA, ATM withdrawls did count toward the 6 transfer/withdrawal limit. However, most accounts used for international ATMs are not saving accounts.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 1:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rasheed
....from a savings or MMA, ATM withdrawls did count toward the 6 transfer/withdrawal limit....
This does not appear to be accurate. Here is the Federal Reserve explanation:

The two most significant features of savings deposits are the ‘‘reservation of right’’ requirement and the restrictions on the number of ‘‘convenient’’ transfers or withdrawals that may be made per month (or per statement cycle of at least four weeks) from the account. In order to classify an account as a ‘‘savings deposit,’’ the institution must in its account agreement with the customer reserve the right at any time to require seven days’ advance written notice of an intended withdrawal. In practice, this right is never exercised, but the institution must nevertheless reserve that right in the account agreement. In addition, for an account to be classified as a ‘‘savings deposit,’’ the depositor may make no more than six ‘‘convenient’’ transfers or withdrawals per month from the account. ‘Convenient’’ transfers and withdrawals, for purposes of this limit, include preauthorized, automatic transfers (including but not limited to transfers from the savings deposit for overdraft protection or for direct bill payments) and transfers and withdrawals initiated by telephone, facsimile, or computer, and transfers made by check, debit card, or other similar order made by the depositor and payable to third parties. Other, less-convenient types of transfers, such as withdrawals or transfers made in person at the bank, by mail, or by using an ATM, do not count toward the six-per-month limit and do not affect the account’s status as a savings account. Also, a withdrawal request initiated by telephone does not count toward the transfer limit when the withdrawal is disbursed via check mailed to the depositor.
It could be that there is some distinction between the institution's own ATM's, and access through other ATM's?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 8:58 pm

This is what Discover Bank says about savings accounts:
  • Federal law limits certain types of withdrawals and transfers from savings and money market accounts to a combined total of 6 per calendar month per account.
  • There are no limits on ATM withdrawals or official checks mailed to you.
Obviously the information about federal law is outdated but at least it shows there are no limits on ATM withdrawals.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Let's try to stay on topic. Every bank has different rules about how many ATM withdrawals are free. For example Chase Private Client limits to 5 free per month. I think CitiGold also has limits. I don't think Fidelity and Schwab have limits. The limits for savings accounts can be posted in the wiki where applicable.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by kavade
Has anyone used the Betterment ATM debit card either in the US or in Europe? I signed on with them because they claim there are no fees for ATM use
anywhere. But if someone knows this to be the case from experience I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.

Well, so I just talked to a rep on the phone and she said Yes, that they refund all fees for overseas ATMs as well as domestic. And their debit card has cell phone insurance. However, when I called the number on the Betterment page to ask about the details on the cell phone insurance, I wound up with a health insurance rep
who had no clue what I was on about. I think Betterment screwed up their copy and paste on their webpage and if they can't get that right, well, do I want to use them?
I signed up for their free checking account. Their FAQ states plainly that they reimburse 100% of ATM fees. Although I have the Fidelity card, it is good to have a backup. A machine ate my Fidelity card in Buenos Aires. Luckily, my wife had hers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.