Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Google Doc - Debit Cards Available with no Fees

Please refer to the Google doc and update as needed for the most comprehensive list of debit cards and their charges (or lack thereof)

Visa Exchange Rates

MasterCard Exchange Rates
Print Wikipost

Debit cards without forex fee and other-bank ATM fees?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Originally Posted by hiima
The bank is told how much was withdrawn and how much was fee. It might not show on the receipt, but Schwab knows, otherwise the other bank would be committing fraud.
Interesting ... I understood that if a fee was charged, it had to be disclosed rather than buried in a single amount.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by uds0
Is USAA signature or pin priority these days (was definitely switched to signature a while back)?

"When a card is inserted, you'll leave it in the terminal during the transaction. You'll sign if required. And don't forget to take your card."

isn't very encouraging to me.
I just received my USAA credit card with chip, and on the activation site, it clearly says that you can create a PIN for use with merchants who accept it. I would guess that that's good indication that the debit card will also be PIN enabled.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Phantom707
I just received my USAA credit card with chip, and on the activation site, it clearly says that you can create a PIN for use with merchants who accept it. I would guess that that's good indication that the debit card will also be PIN enabled.
It might still be signature preferring. If it preferred PIN I'd imagine you'd be forced to set one.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
It might still be signature preferring. If it preferred PIN I'd imagine you'd be forced to set one.
I do understand that PIN preference is much more secure than signature preference, but is there any practical difference for the consumer? If a card is signature preferred but is PIN enabled, will it be accepted at all of the same locations as a PIN preferred card?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do understand that PIN preference is much more secure than signature preference, but is there any practical difference for the consumer? If a card is signature preferred but is PIN enabled, will it be accepted at all of the same locations as a PIN preferred card?
It should be, yeah. The PIN will likely just be asked at unmanned terminals like ticket machines and gas pumps. There's rare cases of businesses voiding transactions and requiring another form of payment but they're not supposed to do that.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:43 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Radius Bank and specifically their Smarter Bucks program? I looked at their descriptions, and they seem to indicate reimbursement of all ATM fees, and they don't explicitly exclude international transactions. It's a Mastercard, so that may be a plus for some people.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:34 pm

Since no one else answered, I tested it myself in Europe. Radius Bank charges no foreign transaction fees but according to the terms and conditions, they pass on a 0.9% and 0.2% fee from Mastercard. I got confirmation from multiple representatives that they still reimburse for any ATM fees around the world, although I haven't tried that as I haven't come to any ATMs that charge fees.

Even with the aforementioned Mastercard fees, the exchange rate still came out ahead of Visa. It looks like this will be my main international debit card from now on.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since no one else answered, I tested it myself in Europe. Radius Bank charges no foreign transaction fees but according to the terms and conditions, they pass on a 0.9% and 0.2% fee from Mastercard. I got confirmation from multiple representatives that they still reimburse for any ATM fees around the world, although I haven't tried that as I haven't come to any ATMs that charge fees.

Even with the aforementioned Mastercard fees, the exchange rate still came out ahead of Visa. It looks like this will be my main international debit card from now on.
Even with the effective 1.1% FTF? From the thread below it seems like the answer is more "it depends":

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...e-rates-5.html
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Even with the effective 1.1% FTF? From the thread below it seems like the answer is more "it depends":

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...e-rates-5.html
Sorry. I should have been more specific. I was comparing the Radius card to a Fidelity Visa. The former got me a very slightly better exchange rate. When I've been able to use it, I prefer using an American Express card from US Bank because it gets me points and has an exchange rate slightly better than what I've seen on XE.

Edit: I'm pretty sure of my above statement, but I'll have to look to make sure. I did the withdrawals on different days, so the market exchange rates were slightly different, but I think my math is correct.

Last edited by Phantom707; Jul 13, 2015 at 4:09 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So apparently the Capital One 360 debit card is now EMV enabled according to a couple of reports. I was going to sign up for an account but I saw this in their FAQs (color mine):

Are there any charges for using the Card?
In addition to worldwide cash access, we provide free access to your cash at over 38,000 ATMs in all 50 states through our partnership with the Allpoint® Network (ATM Locator Opens a new window).

Please Note: When using your Card(s) for transactions made in foreign currency or for what MasterCard® classifies as a cross-border transaction, a charge may be applied by MasterCard® (if it’s in a foreign currency, this will be based on the amount after it’s converted to U.S. Dollars by MasterCard®).
Under what circumstances does this fee get charged? A quick search in this thread doesn't seem to indicate that it's been charged to anyone yet at least for ATM transactions. Their FAQ also doesn't seem to mention how much this fee is exactly.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:09 pm

I finally had the chance to compare my Radius to my Fidelity debit card. The former was 0.18 % higher than the latter. I withdrew 20 EUR a few days ago and was charged $22.07 with Fidelity and $22.11 with Radius. That small of a difference is fair enough given the flexibility of having a Mastercard instead of a Visa since there were quite a few ATMs that only took Mastercard.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
...there were quite a few ATMs that only took Mastercard.
Seriously? Where? They did not accept Interlink, Plus or Star?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Seriously? Where? They did not accept Interlink, Plus or Star?
This was in Cologne in Germany. I saw more than a couple that only had symbols for Mastercard and associated brands like Cirrus and Maestro. I don't remember seeing any other symbols. In other cities, there were ATMs that took other cards, but it was interesting to see that as I hadn't really heard of this happening in Europe. I didn't use the ATMs, though, because I didn't need cash at that moment.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
This was in Cologne in Germany. I saw more than a couple that only had symbols for Mastercard and associated brands like Cirrus and Maestro. I don't remember seeing any other symbols. In other cities, there were ATMs that took other cards, but it was interesting to see that as I hadn't really heard of this happening in Europe. I didn't use the ATMs, though, because I didn't need cash at that moment.
OK. Thanks for the data point. I'll report back from Northern Europe soon....
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They may have taken Visa as well; I don't think the stickers mean much most of the time. I noticed a lot of businesses when I was in Puerto Vallarta earlier this year that only had Visa logos on their windows for instance, but they probably would have taken a MasterCard too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.