Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
Bank of America Reconsideration phone numbers
1-888-663-6262 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)

877-665-5020, 877-261-3494 (Business apps to reach a person. Calling between 6 pm and 7 pm Eastern time may have shorter wait times.)

1-800-354-0401 (8-7pm EST M-F) STILL working for personal apps 9/25/17
1-877-721-9405 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)
from posts #113 and 122: 1-866-224-7803 (no longer active)
from post #92: 1-888-221-6262 (no longer active)

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Reconsideration?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:19 pm

Data point suggesting having a checking account doesn't negate too many apps

I'm at LOL/6/12/24. No new BofA cards in over a year and two in the past 24 months. I have averaged about 1 new card per month (probably slightly over that) for many years. Some business cards but mostly personal cards. After reading reports about opening a checking account with BofA to improve the chance of getting approved, I opened an account with a little over $3,500 in it. I then waited a week and applied and just received an instant denial. I will wait for the letter, but it will almost certainly say I have too many new accounts. My last rejection said too many new accounts and not enough invested with BofA or something similar. [Edited to add: I was correct. The letter said too many new accounts. No mention of not having enough invested with BofA.] Maybe opening a checking account works for some people who have a few too many new accounts but doesn't help if you are way over what BofA considers reasonable?

Last edited by LWT3; Aug 17, 2018 at 5:01 pm
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LWT3
I'm at LOL/6/12/24. No new BofA cards in over a year and two in the past 24 months. I have averaged about 1 new card per month (probably slightly over that) for many years. Some business cards but mostly personal cards. After reading reports about opening a checking account with BofA to improve the chance of getting approved, I opened an account with a little over $3,500 in it. I then waited a week and applied and just received an instant denial. I will wait for the letter, but it will almost certainly say I have too many new accounts. My last rejection said too many new accounts and not enough invested with BofA or something similar. Maybe opening a checking account works for some people who have a few too many new accounts but doesn't help if you are way over what BofA considers reasonable?
Or maybe it's the history that BofA cares about, rather than just whether you have it?

Ie, if you'd had a checking account open with them for a decade or more, might it be different?

And have you had one card open with them for a decade or more? I got a Choice BofA card many years ago, and then years ago BofA dropped all no-fee hotel cards (and Choice went to Barclay, but the card accounts were not sold to Barclay) and it cconverted to a no-fee generic BofA card, which I kept thought barely used, and still have. Do they "like" me better because of that? (I can't tell you that, because I've never churned as heavily as you, and I have done nothing but business cards for about 18 months until a few months ago when I got a Chase personal card after dropping under 5/24 due to only applying for business cards for 18ish months.)

I try to keep one (no-fee) card open as long as I can at each bank I want to churn at. I' have a 30-year old card at Citi, decade-old cards at Chase and BofA and US Bank and Barclay, and well over a decade old card at Amex. Does it help? I don't know, but I don't know see how it can hurt.

Obviously, without a time machine, you can't change the past along these lines, but assuming you might want to still apply for credit cards years from now, think about what might make banks "like you" years from now, looking at your past at that bank. If all they see is opening and closing, and never holding and using, aren't they less likely to look favorably at you, than if they at least see a mix of the two behaviors?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Or maybe it's the history that BofA cares about, rather than just whether you have it?

Ie, if you'd had a checking account open with them for a decade or more, might it be different?
There are a lot of unknowable maybes. That's why I posted mine as a single data point rather than pretending I know what the rules are. I agree having a long history might help and couldn't hurt. I opened my account based on this comment and others like it:
Originally Posted by Morkai
Interestingly, I was told by someone on Reddit that I could open a BoA checking account, put a couple thousand dollars in it and call recon again. This individual stated they have done this and had their application subsequently approved after initially being denied Has anyone else heard of anything like this?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:34 pm

Anyone know how long it is BofA looks back at write offs?

Applied for a card and BofA denied my Alaska Airlines application due to a write off in 06' due to my divorce and ex filing for bankruptcy but since then carry little or no debt and have a score of over 749. they denied my card due to the write off but will give no guidance to when they won't consider the 11 year old issue???
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass Morning Calm Club
Instantly rejected for Alaska. Pulled Experian (now 13 inquiries in the last 2 years, according to Experian)

Was planning to combine hard pulls with Travel Rewards. Applied anyways, instant rejection, no additional pull.

10/24 personal, + 5 biz cards (4 Amex, 1 Chase).

BofA history: 1 checking, 1 savings, 1 cash rewards card, all opened nearly 10 years ago.

past 3 months: 2 amex
past 6 months: past3months + 2 amex biz + 1 amex mercedes plat
past 12 months: past6months + 4 assorted cards

Last edited by rwong48; Aug 29, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by rwong48
Instantly rejected for Alaska. Was planning to combine hard pulls with Travel Rewards. Pulled Experian (now 13 inquiries in the last 2 years, according to Experian)

10/24 personal, + 5 biz cards (4 Amex, 1 Chase).

BofA history: 1 checking, 1 savings, 1 cash rewards card, all opened nearly 10 years ago.
Wow. they rejected you even though you have a 10+ year history with them? That is terrible; small chance of approval from those that don't have a relationship with BofA. I wonder if the inquiries was the reason?

Curious: did AMEX account for any of the inquiries? I read that AMEX does a soft pull once you have existing cards with them.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass Morning Calm Club
Originally Posted by robchow
Wow. they rejected you even though you have a 10+ year history with them? That is terrible; small chance of approval from those that don't have a relationship with BofA. I wonder if the inquiries was the reason?

Curious: did AMEX account for any of the inquiries? I read that AMEX does a soft pull once you have existing cards with them.
Definitely the 12 (now 13) inquiries. 6 from Chase, 4 from Amex. I've definitely opened some Amex cards with soft-pulls, but there are still hard pulls.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:38 pm

Programs: free agent
Applied Amtrak card and they denied despite 800+ credit score. Ok with me if they don't want my business (I actually travel on Amtrak frequently).
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
I applied for all 4 family members for Amtrak card. We all churn. My wife and I both churn about 10 cards a year. My parents churn about 4 cards a year. We all have the Amtrak card in past. My mother is the only one who doesn't have the card and she was the only one who got approved. We all got a denial letter stating too many accounts open in the past. I wonder if not having history with Bank of America better?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA
Any DPs about Platinum Honors status bypassing 2/3/4? How about convincing recon to disregard "opened in error" cards in their count?

I've recently consolidated all my investment/retirement accounts with Merrill/BoA so I could qualify for their Platinum Honors tier with the goal of getting a BoA cash rewards card with the Platinum bonus.

Today I applied for the rewards card and got a hard no due to having 4 BoA cards on in my file (1 Merrill and 2 Alaska, plus one more Merrill which was "opened in error" yet they still dinged me for). Only the Merrill is still open, which she pointed out repeatedly, and the oldest of those cards will be 24 mo in December.

I know that "opened in error" cards counting against 2/3/4 isn't news, but I'm curious what my chances are of approval once the Platinum status kicks in (which takes 90 days) and the 1 card ages off.

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Morkai
Denied for 2nd Alaska Air (closed the 1st a week ago). Lowered my BoA credit limits beforehand. I am clear of the 2/3/4 rule.

Called to recon and was told I could submit a reconsideration request - no dice. Was asked about income, investments, and any delinquent credit card payments (none). Was told decision stands based on too many accounts opened recently (I've opened 8 in last 12 mo) and not enough investments with BoA or their affiliates. Income is $145k and investments around $50k.

Interestingly, I was told by someone on Reddit that I could open a BoA checking account, put a couple thousand dollars in it and call recon again. This individual stated they have done this and had their application subsequently approved after initially being denied Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

Alternatively, would it be smarter to open a BoA, park some money in it, keep a clean report for 3-6 months and try again?
Are you saying u have $50K investment IN BoA and they still rejected u?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:44 pm

Wife and I both denied for Amtrak cards. Credit Score over 800.
too many recent accounts. I am 3/24 and wife is 4/24.

No offer to open a CD or anything like that. just straight up too many cards too recent. I asked for a time frame and she said every application is going to be different so there are no hard rules from what she was saying.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Larry Weyer

No offer to open a CD or anything like that. just straight up too many cards too recent. I asked for a time frame and she said every application is going to be different so there are no hard rules from what she was saying.
WOW LOL? 3/24 is hardly ANYTHING.

"every application is going to be different", WELL LETS TALK ABOUT THIS one. For this application what is the time frame!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...

Wow, this is a tough one. Chase atleast has multiple good cards and some of them may be worth the wait, but BoA saying 3/24 is too many ! Seems credit score is just a number then !
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The CD offers are only for business cards. But I presume you applied for Amtrak personal cards.

Meanwhile, what exactly do you mean by 3/24 and 4/24? Only 3 cards (open or closed) showing on your credit report with "opened on" dates in the past 24 months? What about AUs (authorized user cards) between you two? Those show up separately on credit reports, and some banks count those!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.