Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
Bank of America Reconsideration phone numbers
1-888-663-6262 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)

877-665-5020, 877-261-3494 (Business apps to reach a person. Calling between 6 pm and 7 pm Eastern time may have shorter wait times.)

1-800-354-0401 (8-7pm EST M-F) STILL working for personal apps 9/25/17
1-877-721-9405 (auto line, option 3 for recent apps)
from posts #113 and 122: 1-866-224-7803 (no longer active)
from post #92: 1-888-221-6262 (no longer active)

Print Wikipost

Bank of America Reconsideration?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:14 pm

I just got my recon failed, reason being too many account. It is true I am a churner and had 7/12.
Asked what is the # I have to get down to within a month, she said she couldn't answer.
Asked if opening a CD or bank account or investment account would help, she said she couldn't answer.

Then what is her job?
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by ahh.lun
I just got my recon failed, reason being too many account. It is true I am a churner and had 7/12.
Asked what is the # I have to get down to within a month, she said she couldn't answer.
Asked if opening a CD or bank account or investment account would help, she said she couldn't answer.

Then what is her job?
I mean, they aren't required to disclose specifics with their underwriting such as how many new accounts are acceptable. It could definitely vary with one's profile. You won't necessarily be approved just because you fall below the "threshold" (if there is even a firm one) for new accounts. Keep in mind that all regular underwriting would still apply.

Sometimes we fixate too much on these "x/y/z/12/24" rules and forget that overall profile still matters and that banks are unlikely to give you specifics such as "when you are below xyz, you will be approved". They won't tell you these things because it's not like they want to promise you an approval later, only to have you upset if you are denied for some other reason.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ahh.lun

Then what is her job?
It just very well maybe (and likely is) whoever you spoke with simply doesn't have the authority/function to approve your requests. Nor are allowed to give information you requested either because they do not know themselves, and or there is script which must be followed that provides a standard answer.

In nearly all areas of CS today who can see or do what is tightly controlled *upstairs*. Going from a Tier 1 CSA to "retention" or whatever still may not get someone what they want because the system is programs are what they are.

Years (decades) ago when things were largely paper and pen, and or far less powerful computer systems were in use yes, it was possible to get low level rep or someone to speak personally with a supervisor or someone that could override a system generated response. That today is largely gone.

Those who make the decisions/write programs or whatever for approvals, acceptance, retention, offers, etc... likely are far removed from CS departments and take their marching orders from *upstairs*. That is whatever goals BofA or any other CC company has in mind.

Probably only persons with enough juice to override these decisions are CEOs and some others very high up on the food chain. CSR, supervisors, various other "review" departments obviously don't have that kind of pull. The latter three maybe able to finesse things to within acceptable set parameters, but again the system is what it is.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Larry Weyer
Wife and I both denied for Amtrak cards. Credit Score over 800.
too many recent accounts. I am 3/24 and wife is 4/24.

No offer to open a CD or anything like that. just straight up too many cards too recent. I asked for a time frame and she said every application is going to be different so there are no hard rules from what she was saying.
I was just denied for the Amtrak World MC (which I've had in the past). Also have credit scores 800+, flawless history. Recon rep cited too many new CC accounts in the past year (3 in the past year, yet none in the past 6 months), and no banking relationship with BofA. However, I have a 17-year continuous CC relationship (2 cards currently open with BofA), which apparently doesn't count for much. She also cited my weak spending on the existing CCs. I offered to reallocate credit from another card, no dice.

I just opened a basic Rewards Savings account, plan to dump six figures into it then call back towards the end of the 90-day recon window, and to also put significantly more spend on my existing BofA CCs. I'll be down to 2 new CCs in the past year at that point, and hopefully the savings deposit being in place for a few months by then (plus the spend activity) will help?
LWT3 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Since when was 3/24 or 4/24 a lot?

I'm at 4/24 if we only take personal cards into account since business cards don't show up on our credit reports right? I've had a BoA credit card for 13 years now, but I put little spending on it since the earn rate sucks. Now I have a card in mind, but you guys are getting me worried.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwong48
Instantly rejected for Alaska. Pulled Experian (now 13 inquiries in the last 2 years, according to Experian)

Was planning to combine hard pulls with Travel Rewards. Applied anyways, instant rejection, no additional pull.

10/24 personal, + 5 biz cards (4 Amex, 1 Chase).

BofA history: 1 checking, 1 savings, 1 cash rewards card, all opened nearly 10 years ago.

past 3 months: 2 amex
past 6 months: past3months + 2 amex biz + 1 amex mercedes plat
past 12 months: past6months + 4 assorted cards
Can BoA see that you have biz cards? If not, then your profile looks better since you won't appear as a churner to them right?

I've had a BoA credit card and chequing account with them for 13 years now. When I see posts like these, it makes me think that I won't get my new app approved. Can BoA see the credit inquiries on my report? I haven't put my spending on BoA over the years because I just have a basic credit card with them. It's hardly worth the time to put any spending on it. I only kept the card to help make my credit history look good.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I was just denied for the Amtrak World MC (which I've had in the past). Also have credit scores 800+, flawless history. Recon rep cited too many new CC accounts in the past year (3 in the past year, yet none in the past 6 months), and no banking relationship with BofA. However, I have a 17-year continuous CC relationship (2 cards currently open with BofA), which apparently doesn't count for much. She also cited my weak spending on the existing CCs. I offered to reallocate credit from another card, no dice.

I just opened a basic Rewards Savings account, plan to dump six figures into it then call back towards the end of the 90-day recon window, and to also put significantly more spend on my existing BofA CCs. I'll be down to 2 new CCs in the past year at that point, and hopefully the savings deposit being in place for a few months by then (plus the spend activity) will help?
My strategy worked: I made a large savings deposit and was immediately approved for the AGR card upon reconsideration. I would have waited a big longer to let the savings sit. But when I made the deposit in-branch, the teller intro'd me to a manager (naturally, attempting to grow the relationship, pitch me ML products, etc.). At the end of the conversation, I mentioned my denied card app in passing. We called recon together and voila. ^

Incidentally, my wife has zero prior history with BofA and a shorter credit history/lower score, but she was approved for the AGR card instantly online. Looking forward to the 80K combined bonuses!
808traveler likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Phone Number for Business Card Reconsideration?

Hi all. Searched the post, tried the numbers in the wiki, and yes, the only one that works is 800-354-0401 to get to a live person.

However, that live person is in Consumer and couldn't do anything other than to transfer me to someone. Where I sat on hold for 45 minutes earlier listening to inane hold music before having to leave for a meeting. On hold right now for 35 minutes and counting right now while I work.

Anyone have a phone number that works? My stats shouldn't have been an issue, over 800 scores, no personal cards since November 2018, 4 in the last 24 months, thought the Alaska Business Card would be easy...
Old Sep 13, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by HappyTravelingConsultant
Hi all. Searched the post, tried the numbers in the wiki, and yes, the only one that works is 800-354-0401 to get to a live person.

However, that live person is in Consumer and couldn't do anything other than to transfer me to someone. Where I sat on hold for 45 minutes earlier listening to inane hold music before having to leave for a meeting. On hold right now for 35 minutes and counting right now while I work.

Anyone have a phone number that works? My stats shouldn't have been an issue, over 800 scores, no personal cards since November 2018, 4 in the last 24 months, thought the Alaska Business Card would be easy...
I got through for a business card at 866-570-1603. Hold time was probably 25-30 minutes though and they did a business review asking revenue, profit, years in business, etc.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Thank you! Tried the number and after 20 minutes, got through. My apologies application is now upgraded to in process and pending...
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by HappyTravelingConsultant

This number worked. I actually got a live person almost immediately. Needed to verify an application due to a fraud alert.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
I miss-dialed. May still be working
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Business Card Numbers

These numbers go directly to the business card credit department. Wait times can be brutal but these are verified numbers to reach a person. It was suggested that calling between 6 pm and 7 pm Eastern time may have shorter wait times.
877-665-5020
877-261-3494
My wife applied for the business card for a new business with $0 income. After faxing the previous two years tax returns per their request, the app was denied. Reason: too little info and no relationship with the bank. The agent said a checking account qualifies as a relationship but did not have a suggested minimum balance or other information.

Last edited by rxgeek; Nov 15, 2019 at 4:23 pm Reason: Added info.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Long story short, but I tried to apply for the Bank of America Asiana Card over the phone. The rep was unable to tell me the status after I gave her my info so I checked online. Unfortunately for me, I got declined and this is my first application declined in a while. Not sure what to do and I'm sure my credit score is not a problem. I currently have a Bank of America Travel Rewards card with a credit limit approaching $10,000. What can I do with reconsideration to get my application approved? My understanding is that I can't do a product transfer from BoA Travel Rewards to the Asiana card. If BoA cannot extend anymore credit to me, is it possible to shift some credit from my Travel Rewards card to help get that application approved?

Thank you!
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Long story short, but I tried to apply for the Bank of America Asiana Card over the phone. The rep was unable to tell me the status after I gave her my info so I checked online. Unfortunately for me, I got declined and this is my first application declined in a while. Not sure what to do and I'm sure my credit score is not a problem. I currently have a Bank of America Travel Rewards card with a credit limit approaching $10,000. What can I do with reconsideration to get my application approved? My understanding is that I can't do a product transfer from BoA Travel Rewards to the Asiana card. If BoA cannot extend anymore credit to me, is it possible to shift some credit from my Travel Rewards card to help get that application approved?

Thank you!
No one here got declined by BoA recently? So I called BoA Recon and asked about my application. They said they cannot reallocate credit from my existing account to help open the Asiana card. Furthermore, I have 6 inquiries in 2019 and a total of 13 inquiries in 2 years. Is this a lot? I don't have an installment loan because I don't need a loan. Even though I don't have any late payments and my bills are always paid in full, I'm still denied. I don't have a lot of deposits in my BoA chequing account because it doesn't make any sense to deposit a lot of money into an account that accrue almost no interest...So what do I do now? Apparently the decision stand and I'm not sure how to move forward on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.