Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
I'm waiting for this offer also, but it has been elusive so far... arghh!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by lebowski2222
Currently have this card but If I apply for this card again, do I leave the US Airways FF# blank or use the one I already have.
I included the FF# info and was approved without a problem the second time around. Good luck!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I applied using the Chairmans version and left the employee id blank. Instantly approved for $5000. I have another card open from April 2012 with a limit of $1k. I was taken to online account set up and I see both cards in my barclays account now.

I was hoping barclays had some more interesting offers but I didn't want to decrease average age of my accounts for offers like priceline, wyndham, virgin america.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I applied using the Chairmans version and left the employee id blank. Instantly approved for $5000. I have another card open from April 2012 with a limit of $1k. I was taken to online account set up and I see both cards in my barclays account now.

I was hoping barclays had some more interesting offers but I didn't want to decrease average age of my accounts for offers like priceline, wyndham, virgin america.
You mean right after the instant approval screen you were redirect to Barclay's account online and you saw the new card already showed up? If this is the case then it is quite impressive that Barclays would generate a new card number so immediately after instant approval, and have it up online to view...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:52 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Yes. I was surprised too. Hope I got approved fit the 40k version. Too bad I didn't pay attention to the version
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by Happy
You mean right after the instant approval screen you were redirect to Barclay's account online and you saw the new card already showed up? If this is the case then it is quite impressive that Barclays would generate a new card number so immediately after instant approval, and have it up online to view...
Confirmed. And same experience with Chase United MP card last week.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:55 pm

Same experience, except I received my first card in August. Number two was in the mail today. Barclays rep confirmed offer; 40,000 miles after first purchase and annual fee is waived for the first year.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 8:18 pm

Just some data points... got approved fourth time this year (March, June, September and now December), so every 91 days or so, so far so good. It's nice to have it in a rotation, as Barclays pulls from TransUnion on the East Coast, good alternative to Experian (Citi, Chase and Amex). Employee # is left blank everytime.

Good luck everyone, enjoy this offer!

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by PedroNY
Just some data points... got approved fourth time this year (March, June, September and now December), so every 91 days or so, so far so good. It's nice to have it in a rotation, as Barclays pulls from TransUnion on the East Coast, good alternative to Experian (Citi, Chase and Amex). Employee # is left blank everytime.

Good luck everyone, enjoy this offer!

Cheers,

PedroNY
What was your schedule for cancelling each card or do you have 4 active cards?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetsarefast2
Same experience, except I received my first card in August. Number two was in the mail today. Barclays rep confirmed offer; 40,000 miles after first purchase and annual fee is waived for the first year.
What was your spend pattern on the 1st card?

Originally Posted by PedroNY

PedroNY
Do you close older cards before get the new ones?

Very tempting. Mine 1st one was opened in Aug with instant approval albeit only $5K CL. I believe it pulls TU which is squeaky clean as everyone else pulls either EX or EQ.

US Bank, the other very picky bank just gave me a 17K CL on the new Club Carlson card.

So may be I can try my luck once we get to January.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:38 am

What was your spend pattern on the 1st card?

Do you close older cards before get the new ones?

Very tempting. Mine 1st one was opened in Aug with instant approval albeit only $5K CL. I believe it pulls TU which is squeaky clean as everyone else pulls either EX or EQ.

US Bank, the other very picky bank just gave me a 17K CL on the new Club Carlson card.

So may be I can try my luck once we get to January.
Everyone makes me so jealous when they talk about Barclay's being the only one to pull TU. In PHL, almost everything pulls TU. Chase, Citi, Barclay's, USBank - all TU. Sigh. The only thing that pulls EX is Amex. As a result, I have tons of pulls on TU, a handful on EX, and EQ is totally clean.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:46 am

Got pending message and then denied after call in. Reason is "too many new credits opened recently". Can anybody give me some advice on how to explain to the CSR?

I called the reconsideration line twice, and both of them asked the same questions then denied me for the same reason.

Some background of me:
I am a college graduate who is going to work for a large firm with a really good projecting annual income. My credit card history is:

Discover student card, since Sept 2010
Chase Freedom, Banana Republic, since May 2012
Chase Sapphire Preferred, since Oct 2012
Citi AA (X2), Chase BA, two weeks ago

Never made a late payment, low usage ratio

Questions they asked me:
1. They asked my annual income, I told them my projecting salary.

2. Asked how long have I been working for my employer, I said I will start working in one month.

3. Asked if there is a particular reason I applied to so many credits recently, I answered since I will start to work my expenses will increase in all categories, so it'd be nice if I can maximize my rewards with different cards.

Should I try again and answer these questions differently? For question 2 should I lie and say I have been working for this company for a few months? I don't ever plan on using this CC much, just want the signing bonuses...

What are some good answers for question 3 in my case?

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S.: I'm in Michigan. I don't know what they pulled, but they seem to know that I got all the credit cards from Chase and Citi recently, does that mean they pulled EX?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:31 am

I did close each card prior to opening another one. However my September card remained open and just opened another one in December. So now I have total of 2 U.S. Airways cards. I will likely close one of them prior to trying it again in March. I haven't identified any specific pattern (nothing like Citi 2 apps every 61 days), but keeping it a simple, every 90+ days, work it into my regular application rotation, it is TransUnion for me, and no one else pulls from there, so maybe that report is very clean on inquiries.

Enjoying the trial and error, hopefully more success than error with this additional data point.

P.S. I am excited about upcoming ANA flight next year, great way to use of U.S. Airways miles for travel to Asia.

P.P.S. Everything I am describing is x2 as Mrs. PedroNY is having this same success.

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:38 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kevinwangjk
Got pending message and then denied after call in. Reason is "too many new credits opened recently". Can anybody give me some advice on how to explain to the CSR?
I think you handled it perfectly. You're a victim of your own thin credit file. Since I'm not sure there's anything you could do better, perhaps calling in again and handling it the same way with a different CSR would work. But most likely, you'll just need to wait for your file to catch up to your aspirations.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by kevinwangjk
3. Asked if there is a particular reason I applied to so many credits recently, I answered since I will start to work my expenses will increase in all categories, so it'd be nice if I can maximize my rewards with different cards.

I agree with MDtR-Chicago, there's likely not much you could do that would have made a difference, you're just a little too green for them right now.

However I would suggest changing the response to this question should it be asked again in the future. Say you're looking to keep expenses separate for each category and easier to track for reimbursement rather than trying to maximize rewards. Again I don't think it would have made a difference, but don't give them any extra ammo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.