Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards Amex Card, described here: https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card/

No annual fee
Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
Earn 1 point on all other purchases
20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account

There are several similarly named PenFed cards. Please see the chart at the top of the
Master Thread: PenFed Family of Cards + Chip & PIN Questions to make sure you post in the correct thread!
Print Wikipost

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
The terms and conditions still says 50$ annual fee - so which one is it?
terms have been updated. No annual fee.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA, Lifetime Platinum, 2MM
I just saw this offer recommended in Bottom Line.

Can I use the points to buy a ticket on American? I ask this because I saw a post that said they used Travelocity who no longer uses AA on its site. Also, since I haven't joined yet I cannot find the scale they use for ticket value versus points needed. Does anyone have that, or a link I can access? Is there any danger of them canceling? I'd hate to lose miles I could get on my Citi Aadvantage card? And last, is there any limit to the value of tickets I can redeem as long as I have the points?

Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mwinnick
...Travelocity who no longer uses AA on its site.
Travelocity still lists and sells AA tickets. See here for example:

http://leisure.travelocity.com/Promo...aeurope&WA5=IM
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:58 pm

Auto Rental Insurance

Just got my penfed amex premium travel rewards card today. Surprisingly, it did not come with a brochure explaining all the benefits of the card (including fine print). I called customer service because, when I had applied for the card, I was told the car rental insurance benefit was worldwide and did not exclude any countries. I wanted to confirm whether this was the case. After being placed on hold for a while, the very helpful rep came back on the line and said he'd found a 3 page document listing the terms of the car rental benefit, had read the entire document while I was on hold (!), and it did NOT seem to exclude any countries, including Israel (where I am visiting soon and will need to rent a car). He printed it out and I expect to receive it in the mail later this week to confirm. (And then I will take it with me to show the guys/gals at the rental counter.)

Has anyone had any experience at all with this card and trying to cover a car rental in the countries that are usually excluded (israel, ireland, jamaica, etc)? I'd love to hear about your experience and see if I can use it when arguing with the Avis reps in the airport.

Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL, HH, SPG, AMEX
Exclamation Points Promo

Looks like they are upping the anti again for the next 3.5 months. 5X points on Hotels and 5X points on Dining April 15 - August 31st...Might have to pull this card out again.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by aduncan
Looks like they are upping the anti again for the next 3.5 months. 5X points on Hotels and 5X points on Dining April 15 - August 31st...Might have to pull this card out again.
Link?

Where'd you see this information? Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by aduncan
http://penfed.org/productsAndRates/c...DInsert700AMEX

Never mind, found it! It's one of the scrolling pictures on the main rewards site.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gm9928
http://penfed.org/productsAndRates/c...DInsert700AMEX

Never mind, found it! It's one of the scrolling pictures on the main rewards site.
I assume this is good for existing cardholders, right?

Surprised they didn't send us an email announcing it.

I'll definitely stick the card in my wallet for the dining deal. And does anyone know how picky they are in awarding bonus points for hotels? Like if I buy a hotel room from Expedia, would that count? I assume that if I buy a hotel room from the DailyGetaways/DiscoverAmerica promo, that would not earn a bonus.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:54 am

Surprised they didn't send us an email announcing it.
I got an e-mail. Also, a few weeks ago got an e-mail with targeted 5X points on gas.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjguitar85
I got an e-mail. Also, a few weeks ago got an e-mail with targeted 5X points on gas.
So is the restaurant bonus targeted or for everybody? If it's on the website, I assume everybody -- unless it's just new cardholders.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iahphx
So is the restaurant bonus targeted or for everybody? If it's on the website, I assume everybody -- unless it's just new cardholders.
it is for everyone.
^
Old May 5, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
it is for everyone.
^
I just re-applied for this card once I saw the email with extra miles. I had it when it first came out but was not impressed by the initial offer. I closed it after getting my sign up bonus and redeeming the miles they gave me. At that time you had to have the card to see the available awards.

That is still the case, but now that there is no annual fee we decided it will be our everyday card for our dining and hotel purchases...plus Costco. I don't mind holding on to it with no annual fee....
Old May 6, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA, CO, Delta
What credit agency does Penfed pull?
Old May 6, 2011, 6:58 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this card and travelocity mastercard. I mean, can anyone lay out the pros and cons specially for air travel ?

Originally Posted by appl3
What credit agency does Penfed pull?

Please excuse my ignorance but I have seen this question raised at many other places too. Does that matter what credit agency is pulled. I thought they all are the same. Why would that matter ?

Last edited by mia; May 7, 2011 at 4:37 am
Old May 6, 2011, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by maulah
Please excuse my ignorance but I have seen this question raised at many other places too. Does that matter what credit agency is pulled. I thought they all are the same. Why would that matter ?
Penfed always pulls Equifax.

It matters for some people because Penfed is inquiry sensitive. Some get denied for having too many inquiries.

Pulls for other creditors often vary by region. Where I live, everyone wants to pull Experian. So after getting a bunch credit cards for the bonuses, I now have 10 inquiries on Experian. I have none on Equifax. So if I see a new card I want, if they pull Equifax, I am much more willing to give them a go than if they pull Experian. I'm worried that I will begin to be denied for too many inquiries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.