Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards Amex Card, described here: https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card/

No annual fee
Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
Earn 1 point on all other purchases
20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account

There are several similarly named PenFed cards. Please see the chart at the top of the
Master Thread: PenFed Family of Cards + Chip & PIN Questions to make sure you post in the correct thread!
Print Wikipost

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by fikio
I am considering getting this card; it seems that it has the best cash back equivalent for airfare at 4.25%?

Most of the discussion here is on redeeming it for GCs, can it not be redeemed for airfare? And is there a minimum amount of points that one must have before redemption?

Most of my credit cards have dramatically reduced their benefits over the years. If this one is still giving 5 points per dollar spent on airfare, then even with any devaluation it seems to be a great deal.
there are other cards (Chase CSP, Citi Prestige) that give better reward for airfare when redeemed for travel.

but this seems like the best no annual fee card.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by runb4fun
there are other cards (Chase CSP, Citi Prestige) that give better reward for airfare when redeemed for travel.

but this seems like the best no annual fee card.
How is the Citi Prestige better for airfare? I can see the value for hotels, but for airfare it gives 3 points per dollar spent as opposed to 5 points per dollar spent for Penfed travel rewards. Also, since there is a $250 travel credit per year, this is $250 less spend getting 5 points per dollar with Penfed (and the $250 is not free since the annual fee on the card is $450).
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:12 pm

I called Penfed and asked a bunch of questions. Points expire in 5 years. One can only redeem rewards for travel, merchandise, and restaurants; there is no longer an option for a VISA gift card, as someone pointed out. So the value of the card depends on whether one can redeem it for travel at fair market value, since one has to use Penfed's travel agency.

For those of you that have the card, if you look up a flight on Kayak first and then call Penfed's agency, are you getting the same rate?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:26 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
How is the Citi Prestige better for airfare? I can see the value for hotels, but for airfare it gives 3 points per dollar spent as opposed to 5 points per dollar spent for Penfed travel rewards.
Have you also looked at the US Bank FlexPerks Travel Rewards Visa? It pays 2x on airfare but the points are worth up to 2 cents each for travel redemptions. The redemptions are in tiers (i.e. 20000 points = UP TO $400 of fare) but if you work the system you can get very close to 4% back on airfare and redemptions tend to be pretty close to the availability on Orbitz.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...er-thread.html
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:52 am

How is the Citi Prestige better for airfare? I can see the value for hotels, but for airfare it gives 3 points per dollar spent as opposed to 5 points per dollar spent for Penfed travel rewards. Also, since there is a $250 travel credit per year, this is $250 less spend getting 5 points per dollar with Penfed (and the $250 is not free since the annual fee on the card is $450).
for prestige:
3*1.66=4.98 towards AA

also, 450-100 (apply at branch)-250 (can do refund trick) = $100 AF. You get PP, 4th stay at hotel, etc for $100 which is worth.

last but not least, you get to supercharge Citi Forward into a 8% card

Last edited by runb4fun; Jan 9, 2016 at 11:58 am
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Silver; HHonors Silver; HyattGP Platinum; Hertz PC
For those of you that have the card, if you look up a flight on Kayak first and then call Penfed's agency, are you getting the same rate?
I just booked a flight on F9. One way DCA-DEN. Worked out to 3.7%. Same price as Kayak and F9's site. And you don't have to call PenFed's travel agency...you can book directly on the PenFed rewards site. For no annual fee, I don't know of a card that gives that rate or better. (I have CSP...so if there is a way to get more than 3.7% - 4.25% back on flights...I am all ears.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.