Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Master Thread: PenFed Family of Cards [5x/5% back] + Chip & PIN Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
PenFed cards are cashback or proprietary points redemption cards issued by Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

This thread is for general discussion of joining the credit union and choosing the best card, plus Chip & PIN questions/discussion across all PenFed cards.

Threads to discuss specific cards:

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]
No annual fee
Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
Earn 1 point on all other purchases
20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account

Penfed Platnum Rewards Visa [5x/3x/1x points + $0 fee]
No annual fee
Earn 5 points on gas purchases at the pump
Earn 3 points on supermarket Purchases
Earn 1 point on All Other Purchases

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card [5% on gas, no annual fee]
Plus Version, for which most people can easily qualify:
No annual fee
5% Cashback for Gas Purchases at the Pump
No cashback on other purchases

Qualifications for joining PenFed: https://netmember3.penfed.org/NetMember/Forms/OpenAccounts/Eligibility.aspx

The easiest way to qualify is to be a member of the US military or a government employee. If none of the eligibility criteria apply to you, you can still join by first becoming a member of the National Military Family Association ($20 tax deductible) or Voices for America's Troops ($15 not tax deductible).

Other reasons to join:

Many FTers use PenFed for auto loans, as they usually offer very attractive rates. The auto loan product is also a qualifying product for "Plus" level on the Cash Rewards card.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have a PenFed Visa with chip-and-PIN. I've never used the PIN (Haven't been out of the US since getting it) but I'm going to France in a month and will use it there.

I don't quite remember what I set my PIN to...I think it's one of three or four possibilities. I called PenFed to ask, and they sent me the PIN on my card that's used for ATM withdrawals.

Questions:

1. There is a separate PIN for the built in chip - right?
2. Is there any way to verify what the chip's PIN is besides trying to use it?
3. If I enter the wrong PIN a few times, what happens?

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
PenFed Chip and PIN question

The increased privacy and enhanced security rules make it difficult to get you old PIN - the easiest solution is to reset you PIN and start over.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I have a PenFed Visa with chip-and-PIN. I've never used the PIN (Haven't been out of the US since getting it) but I'm going to France in a month and will use it there.

I don't quite remember what I set my PIN to...I think it's one of three or four possibilities. I called PenFed to ask, and they sent me the PIN on my card that's used for ATM withdrawals.

Questions:

1. There is a separate PIN for the built in chip - right?
2. Is there any way to verify what the chip's PIN is besides trying to use it?
3. If I enter the wrong PIN a few times, what happens?

Thanks!
It should be the same PIN. I've never heard of a different PIN being used for CA vs. purchases.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
The increased privacy and enhanced security rules make it difficult to get you old PIN - the easiest solution is to reset you PIN and start over.
When I got my card (beginning of 2013) there was no way to reset the PIN. Has that changed?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
What's the best PenFed Chip + PIN CC?

The other day, I tried to buy a ticket for the tube in London using my CSP Chip + Signature, but no luck. No problem, I had some cash on hand for cases like this. Still, I thought it may be time to get a Chip + PIN CC for my next trips. I'd like to avoid annual and foreign transaction fees. I've been a PenFed member from the days when their CDs were competitive, so I thought a PenFed would be a logical choice.

The following PenFed CCs seem to meet the above criteria:
PenFed Visa Platinum Rewards Card
PenFed Promise Card
PenFed Visa Gold Card

Of those, it seems that the PenFed Visa Platinum Rewards Card is the best as it actually does come with some rewards.

What am I missing? Are there any other cards I should look at that may be better? I'm not the kind that applies for CCs left and right (not that I'm implying any of you would).
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've had the PenFed Cash Rewards card for a while now. Not sure if they stlil offer it.

Note that PenFed charges $25 annual fee if you have a credit card but no other PenFed products and an insignificant amount of money with them.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:17 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer
... tried to buy a ticket for the tube in London using my CSP Chip + Signature, but no luck.
How do you know that the failure was due to the lack of a PIN?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Good point. I actually, just checked my records and it was the S-Bahn in Frankfurt where I had the problem, but even there I cannot be certain what the issue was. I was able to buy the London tube ticket at the kiosk using my CSP Chip + Signature.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:24 pm

I've had the PenFed Cash Rewards card for a while now. Not sure if they stlil offer it.

Note that PenFed charges $25 annual fee if you have a credit card but no other PenFed products and an insignificant amount of money with them.
How much money does one need to have with them to avoid the annual fee?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mia
Good point. I actually, just checked my records and it was the S-Bahn in Frankfurt where I had the problem, but even there I cannot be certain what the issue was. I was able to buy the tube ticket at the kiosk using my CSP Chip + Signature.
Some of the German S-Bahn kiosks are *very* specific in what cards they accept. In Berlin it's only Maestro and Eurocash.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Some of the German S-Bahn kiosks are *very* specific in what cards they accept. In Berlin it's only Maestro and Eurocash.
Yeah, that's possibility. I have a German DKB Cash Card (with a chip) and it didn't work either. I actually ended up a Schwarzfahrer as I didn't have cash. No risk no fun.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
How much money does one need to have with them to avoid the annual fee?
I have $25 in a savings account and was told that would be sufficient.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
I have $25 in a savings account and was told that would be sufficient.
Ok, I suppose my CDs will suffice then.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:57 pm
Original Member

The other day, I tried to buy a ticket for the tube in London using my CSP Chip + Signature, but no luck. No problem, I had some cash on hand for cases like this. Still, I thought it may be time to get a Chip + PIN CC for my next trips. I'd like to avoid annual and foreign transaction fees. I've been a PenFed member from the days when their CDs were competitive, so I thought a PenFed would be a logical choice.

The following PenFed CCs seem to meet the above criteria:
PenFed Visa Platinum Rewards Card
PenFed Promise Card
PenFed Visa Gold Card

Of those, it seems that the PenFed Visa Platinum Rewards Card is the best as it actually does come with some rewards.

What am I missing? Are there any other cards I should look at that may be better? I'm not the kind that applies for CCs left and right (not that I'm implying any of you would).
I still use the PenFed VisaŽ Platinum Cash Rewards Card for gasoline purchases. I still get 5% back for same, and the card still does not charge for foreign purchases. I had to open a $25 money market (or CD- can't remember which) to maintain these benefits.

Your post prompted me to change my current card to the Chip card. To convert your current card to a Chip card, log into your PenFed account, click on the Credit Cards tab, then under your credit card listings click on the + at More account info and actions, then then click on Convert to a Chip Enabled Card.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 4:25 pm

So it seems I need to add the PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card to the list of candiates as well since that annual fee waiver is extremely easy to obtain and as a matter of fact, I already qualify for the fee waiver.

https://www.penfed.org/Platinum-Cash-Rewards/
You can earn 5% on gas purchases paid at the pump and avoid an annual fee by obtaining a qualifying PenFed product:
Active checking account with direct deposit ($250 min.)
Money Market Certificate or IRA Certificate
Mortgage
Installment loan
Equity Loan or Equity Line of Credit with a balance
Thrifty Credit Service
Personal Line of Credit
Education Line of Credit
Money Market Savings Accounts
The Money Market Savings Accounts seems like an easy one, considering it has no fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.