Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards Amex Card, described here: https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card/

No annual fee
Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
Earn 1 point on all other purchases
20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account

There are several similarly named PenFed cards. Please see the chart at the top of the
Master Thread: PenFed Family of Cards + Chip & PIN Questions to make sure you post in the correct thread!
Print Wikipost

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
The terms and conditions still says 50$ annual fee - so which one is it?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we've had the card for more than a year, and they haven't billed me an annual fee. Given that experience, and the explicit wording on the website, I think there's now no fee. ^

So it would seem like this is now an excellent card to have just for the 5% airfare points -- which actually works out to more than a 6% rebate because the airline points are worth more than a penny a piece. I've also used the card overseas to avoid the foreign transaction fees.

BTW, does anyone know whether there's still a lucrative sign-up bonus? I got a card for my wife, and use a companion card, but never got around to apply for a separate card for myself.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by aduncan
... worth ~1.6 cents when used for travel ......
Originally Posted by iahphx
...works out to more than a 6% rebate ...
If it's accurate that the points are worth $0.016 it would appear to be an 8% rebate if used exclusively to buy airfare and redeemed for airfare.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
If it's accurate that the points are worth $0.016 it would appear to be an 8% rebate if used exclusively to buy airfare and redeemed for airfare.
Has it been firmly established that you get 1.6 cents in airfare for every point in this program?

When I briefly looked at using my points a few months ago for interisland Hawaii travel (I ultimately decided to redeem ff miles), it didn't seem like 10,000 points were worth $160.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: DL, HH, SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by iahphx
Has it been firmly established that you get 1.6 cents in airfare for every point in this program?
Its not an exact science (well i'm sure it is but i haven't figured it out yet). Usually when I calculate it out it will fluctuate some but i don't believe i've had a booking less then 1.5Cents/point.

Thing that makes me most Nervous is that they seem more likely to modify the program vs. Membership Rewards. However so far its been all positive modifications for the card member. Such as No Foreign Trans fees and now apparently no annual fee (although i haven't seen any emails to me directly about this change)
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by aduncan
...seem more likely to modify the program vs. Membership Rewards....
To be sure there is no misunderstanding, neither the card nor the rewards program is administered by American Express. It's PenFed's program. It appears PenFed has hired Maritz, Inc to operate the program on their behalf.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:03 am

Yes I understand that. I was just using MR as a baseline rewards program.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:25 am

Update on my "Stay Away" post

Post #85 (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15558560-post85.html) had me recommending not to use the card until they got their act together.

Since then, they have had additional problems funding 2 Certificate of Deposits, so I am not out of the woods with them yet. I spent an hour or two on the phone over that issue. Apparently, they have had some serious issues at end of year and are still working through them.

And just now I spoke with the CSR that did my original application and she says she is going to straighten it all out (Finally, a "buck stops here" person!). I hope that happens and, if it does, I will advise everyone to do their application through her.

For now, fingers are crossed. (I really want to like this card because, as others have pointed out, the large amount of points given out for airfare purchases are promising!)
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
can you book AA tickets on their online system or are they affected by the AA vs. Travelocity-Expedia-Orbitz fun?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by virmaior
can you book AA tickets on their online system or are they affected by the AA vs. Travelocity-Expedia-Orbitz fun?
It appears so. I just did a routing of MSP-MIA 1/15 - 1/18 on AA prices out to 14,819 Points.

Exact flight on AA Website prices out to: 233.10 USD

~.0157CPP
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:14 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
anybody else having issues with their faud dept. It seems like I get a call from Manila every other day, about airfare, multiple charges, large charges etc. I am not using the card anymore as much as I once did but boy the faud dept is on steroids, I have lost out on many points because of the endless freezes penfed has placed on the card.

I have also learned that the card has a 20 transaction a day limit.

That a large charge from a merchant that you have used in the past, for smaller charges, will usually not go through/and triger fraud alerts.

That multiple airline charges, as those who engage in MR are apt to do, will not go thru unless you request that the "matrix" is raised on airfares. This it seems cannot be done for other types of charges.

That to talk to a rep u now have to go thru a pin validation system for some pin that you may have /or/ have not remembered setting up. If not, then you have to wait for you your new pin to arrive at your billing address, even if its an emergency call!

Now that the dbl pts is over its back to FIA/schwab and starwood. What a relief...

The redemption program is great but the adminstration of the card is... well idiotic.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frank_10b
anybody else having issues with their faud dept. It seems like I get a call from Manila every other day, about airfare, multiple charges, large charges etc. I am not using the card anymore as much as I once did but boy the faud dept is on steroids, I have lost out on many points because of the endless freezes penfed has placed on the card.
I think they're a little sensitive these days. They also left a "fraud" message on my answering machine while I was using the card in S. America late last month (fortunately, they didn't stop the charges -- it was the only no-fee credit card I had brought, and I was using it for the end-of-year bonuses they were offering).

I received a letter from them 2 days ago saying that someone had hacked into their database and probably stole everyone's card number, ss number, etc. (I suppose if I were a hacker, I'd also target the less-sophisticated financial institutions). They're issuing everybody new credit cards. They're also providing card holders with some sort of free fraud protection service. I haven't read the details yet.

Annoying, but what are you going to do? Everyone has so much data "on line" these days that I guess you've got to assume some of that will be stolen somewhere, sometime. It obviously doesn't make me "trust" PenFed much, but if they're giving me an 8% credit card rebate on airline tickets with no annual fee, I'm not going to stop doing business with them over this.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:28 pm

They have stopped calling me about international charges finally but for the first few months it was an issue. I mostly only use the card international.

As far as the unauthorized account information access, everyone effected gets a 2 year membership with IDTheftSmart Credit monitoring service. I just received the details in the mail today and logged on without a problem.

Last edited by aduncan; Jan 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:43 pm

My two cents on this card and the administration:

I completely agree they leave a lot to be desired. Given fact that it comes at no annual fee, one of the best points redemption programs for Airline tickets (non-award), no ForeEx fees, Concierge service, and Priority Pass with 2 free visits (15k annual spend). I guess something has to give and in this case its the card administration.

My experience has been that this is a very self serve program. If you want to dispute a charge you walk your a$$ over to the company in question and work it out. Otherwise use your Amex Administered by Amex
Old Feb 8, 2011, 9:43 pm

Finally, a resolution

Originally Posted by BigEdInVancouver
Post #85 (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15558560-post85.html) had me recommending not to use the card until they got their act together.

Since then, they have had additional problems funding 2 Certificate of Deposits, so I am not out of the woods with them yet. I spent an hour or two on the phone over that issue. Apparently, they have had some serious issues at end of year and are still working through them.

And just now I spoke with the CSR that did my original application and she says she is going to straighten it all out (Finally, a "buck stops here" person!). I hope that happens and, if it does, I will advise everyone to do their application through her.

For now, fingers are crossed. (I really want to like this card because, as others have pointed out, the large amount of points given out for airfare purchases are promising!)
So, finally, I received all the points I was expecting. Thanks to the CSR who fought for the points I was expecting all along.

This took too much time but I now have my 35K points (10K signup + 25K for hitting my spend target). It is very hard to recommend a card so poorly administered but, if you do want a card that gives great points for flights (10 pts per dollar spent), I'd suggest the CSR I used (ask for Jill , ext 7665 at the main number). She was the only person at the organization that gave a hoo-haw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.