Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards Amex Card, described here: https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card/

No annual fee
Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
Earn 1 point on all other purchases
20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account

There are several similarly named PenFed cards. Please see the chart at the top of the
Master Thread: PenFed Family of Cards + Chip & PIN Questions to make sure you post in the correct thread!
Print Wikipost

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2010, 1:19 pm

Has anyone received what they need to access PriorityPass yet? I still waiting...
Old Dec 4, 2010, 6:00 pm

Has anyone received the $100 bonus gift card yet? Maybe they don't process that until after the statement closes. =D
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL, HH, SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by crpeck
Has anyone received what they need to access PriorityPass yet? I still waiting...
I finally received the invite letter. It takes about 3 months after you have reached the threshold. I have stopped using this as my primary, although the points are worth ~1.6 cents when used for travel and right now its two points/dollar making it ~3.2% redemption on everything. I really don't like the fact i need to spend at least 75% of the ticket price on points during redemption.

I will likely keep the card though just because it doesn't have international surcharge and i probably spend over 15k internationally which will give me the PP and a few points to play with.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:04 pm

it is said before approved, we should first become the member of a certain association, and pay some member fee first?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 5:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by apollo_liumin
... member of a certain association, and pay some member fee first?
Correct, you must become a member of a credit union before your can hold a credit card or use any of its services. What is your question?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:16 pm

I am a long-time customer and big fan of Penfed. Being very happy with their cash-back VISA, I got the AMEX. I have just been through a 12-hr Orwellian nightmarish experience attempting to redeem my points for an airline ticket, and I can NOT recommend the AMEX card any longer.

I guess I should be a little more specific: If you do not have a Windows machine running Internet Explorer, the reservations site for airline tickets will not work properly. And you will get NO assistance from the telephone customer service representatives: they will simply tell you that you must be doing something wrong, and they are NOT able to make your reservation over the telephone.

Last edited by mia; Dec 13, 2010 at 2:40 pm Reason: Combine two posts
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: DL, HH, SPG, AMEX
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
If you do not have a Windows machine running Internet Explorer, the reservations site for airline tickets will not work properly. And you will get NO assistance from the telephone customer service representatives: they will simply tell you that you must be doing something wrong, and they are NOT able to make your reservation over the telephone.
I had the same issue trying to book a flight using Chrome Browser. It works fine until the last screen where you pay for part of the flight with a credit card.

Who did you call? The number on the back of your card can't book the flight but reward services was able to book one for me. 1-800-253-8417
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:06 pm

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Originally Posted by crpeck
The 30K offer is no longer on the main page, anybody have a scaned copy of the 30K offer?

How much do you have to spend to get PP? Is it per annual year or anniversity of cc ownership?
thanks!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: AF/KL: FB Gold, A3 *G, DL GM, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silv, IHG Plat Ambassador
Included Travel Insurance

"The PenFed Premium Travel Rewards American Express Card also offers numerous insurance benefits, such as Travel Accident Insurance, Trip and Baggage Delay Insurance, Roadside Assistance and Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance."

I just had an issue with Baggage Delay and I cannot find any information about this coverage. Anyone have any info?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:58 pm

Two Words: STAY AWAY!!!

When I signed up for this card, the phone operator offered me 10K points for initial spend, and then something like 25K after an additional $650. Well, the 10K never posted and, after over many weeks of calling, they can't get their act together---they just continue to ask for more info and tell me that they will get back to me.

The poster above who used the word "Orwellian" was spot on: these guys are so disorganized. They pass me around from the Amex desk (they use the Amex label but it boggles the mind as to why Amex would sully their good reputation) to the rewards desk to the PedFed desk...rinse and repeat....

And just yesterday they sent me TWO separate account statements for the month of December with 2 different account numbers---when I called them about that, they told me they had a "security issue" and would be changing all card numbers soon. Wow...how about an explanatory letter, Penfed?

Until they get it together, I recommend that you stay away from this card.

Last edited by BigEdInVancouver; Jan 5, 2011 at 11:11 am Reason: I didn't like the bad tone of my email.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 6:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigEdInVancouver
...(they use the Amex label but it boggles the mind as to why Amex would sully their good reputation with such...
American Express has licensed many US-based banks to issue Amex-network cards: Bank of America, Barclays, Citi, GE, PenFed, etc. American Express is not involved in issuing or administering the accounts, they merely process transactions (same as MasterCard or VISA) and provide some of the bundled benefit packages.

Still, you make a worthwhile observation that each bank's customer service is different, and that consumers may have an expectation based on the branding.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigEdInVancouver
Wow...how about an explanatory letter, Penfed?
I received an explanatory email regarding a new card being issued, I would suggest re-reading their recent emails they sent and/or checking your spam folder.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I received an explanatory email regarding a new card being issued, I would suggest re-reading their recent emails they sent and/or checking your spam folder.
@nabeelj, What you wrote is what they told me on the phone but I never received this email--although I do get their advertisements. I would have thought that they could have included some sort of explanation with their written (snail mailed) statements, though, which they did not and that is what I found disturbing.

Anyway, my point is that these guys do not have their act together and I want to caution the flyertalk community out there. Maybe someone can crack the code and make it all worthwhile. I'd love to hear that.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 7:36 pm

Ive had nothing but great experience at Penfed. I had to call when I changed my address and was pleased that I wasn't sent to India.

My bonus points appeared immediately.

Plus, I think they got rid of the annual fee on the Amex?

https://www.penfedpremiumrewards.com/page.aspx?id=home
Old Jan 2, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by tjguitar85
Ive had nothing but great experience at Penfed. I had to call when I changed my address and was pleased that I wasn't sent to India.

My bonus points appeared immediately.

Plus, I think they got rid of the annual fee on the Amex?

https://www.penfedpremiumrewards.com/page.aspx?id=home
Whoah... no annual fee... that makes the 5x for airfare a deal. Thanks for sharing -- now I just need to wait for my PedFed pin to arrive in the mail (it's been ages, and they wouldn't give it over the phone since it had already been mailed).

--C

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.