Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards Amex Card, described here: https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card/

No annual fee
Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
Earn 1 point on all other purchases
20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account

There are several similarly named PenFed cards. Please see the chart at the top of the
Master Thread: PenFed Family of Cards + Chip & PIN Questions to make sure you post in the correct thread!
Print Wikipost

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: DL, HH, SPG, AMEX
Has anyone received their priority pass invitation yet? I reached the threshold but haven't seen anything.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
Is the foreign transaction fee no longer waived with this card? I just saw a posting on Nerd Wallet that states they now charge a 2% fee with this card. It was posted on August 30. However, when calling PenFed, they still state that there is no foreign transaction.

Have any of you current cardholders heard anything? I just applied for the card today, but if they no longer waive the foreign transaction fees, I may have to reevaluate.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by elbombo
Is the foreign transaction fee no longer waived with this card? I just saw a posting on Nerd Wallet that states they now charge a 2% fee with this card. It was posted on August 30. However, when calling PenFed, they still state that there is no foreign transaction.

Have any of you current cardholders heard anything? I just applied for the card today, but if they no longer waive the foreign transaction fees, I may have to reevaluate.
are per the terms of the card and based on my recent travels there is no foreign exchange transaction fee for this card. IIRC, for a short time Penfed had a foreign exchange fee on this card but then eliminated it.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Has anyone tried booking the $1000+ (more like 5-6K) ticket and then calling the airline directly and canceling or taking a lower fare ticket and taking the voucher for the rest of the money? I guess it will the same as the Thank you points
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
There is a new promotion offering 2 points on all other purchases with this card:

https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRa...Cards/amex.asp
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have this card and notice the materials mention roadside assistance, but the website doesn't provide specific. Anyone have any idea?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
I have this card and notice the materials mention roadside assistance, but the website doesn't provide specific. Anyone have any idea?
They don't give details when you get the card either, there is no explanation of benefits, they printed out 30 pages for me and mailed it. I don't have it handy now, but I vaguely remember it wasn't much of a benefit, you can call and check. I was interested in the overseas medical evacuation benefit, it seems not bad comparable to what you might buy when you travel, but there is no medical coverage component to this.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: DL, HH, SPG, AMEX
I haven't used roadside assistance but i know the phone number is 1800-245-5095.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
On the website:

Roadside Assistance and Car Rental Insurance Coverage.

As a Cardmember, our roadside assistance covers you in your own car or any car you drive virtually anywhere in the world. Charge a rental car to the Card and you also receive automatic coverage for damage to due collision or theft.

Roadside Assistance services are provided by AXA Assistance USA. Certain conditions and restrictions apply. For complete program details on Roadside Assistance services please refer to your Benefits Guide.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by angel.x.martinez
On the website:

Roadside Assistance and Car Rental Insurance Coverage.

As a Cardmember, our roadside assistance covers you in your own car or any car you drive virtually anywhere in the world. Charge a rental car to the Card and you also receive automatic coverage for damage to due collision or theft.

Roadside Assistance services are provided by AXA Assistance USA. Certain conditions and restrictions apply. For complete program details on Roadside Assistance services please refer to your Benefits Guide.
Exactly, as I indicated, the website does not provide specifics.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:29 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Does PenFed require employer name to apply for their card? A family member who is ex-military might be my way into PenFed, but I don't want to go through becoming a member and then not be able to get a card. Citi just asks for household income.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:58 pm

Something that might be key for me in considering this card is whether I can get the 5% return on business-travel (not, alas, class) airfare purchases made via my employer's travel agency (Egencia, basically the corporate version of Expedia). I didn't see anything explicit about this on their website, one way or the other.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
Joining PenFed - easy

I joined this week for $5. I applied and self-qualified through Option #6 American Red Cross.

https://www.penfed.org/howToJoin/overview.asp

(You are eligible to become a member of Pentagon Federal if you are an employee or volunteer of the American Red Cross.) Since I donate blood, I figure that qualifies me as a volunteer of the American Red Cross.

There is no verification process nor did I have to supply or was I asked for any Red Cross volunteer number, etc.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA, BA, WN CP, CO, AK, LH, DL, UA, VS, SPG, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Carlson, Fairmont Lifetime Plat
30K bonus point opportunity for current card holders

If you currently hold the PenFed Travel Amex, watch your email for an opportunity to get 30K bonus points with $650 spend between 11/1/10 and 12/31/10. The email points out that I haven't been using the card much (since my initial spend for the bonus back in April when I first got the card).
Old Nov 16, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA, BA, WN CP, CO, AK, LH, DL, UA, VS, SPG, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Carlson, Fairmont Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by tima1212
If you currently hold the PenFed Travel Amex, watch your email for an opportunity to get 30K bonus points with $650 spend between 11/1/10 and 12/31/10. The email points out that I haven't been using the card much (since my initial spend for the bonus back in April when I first got the card).
Statement hasn't closed yet, but all 30K bonus points have posted as of today ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.