Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is for discussion of the PenFed Premium Travel Rewards Amex Card, described here: https://www.penfed.org/PenFed-Premium-Travel-Rewards-American-Express-Card/

No annual fee
Earn 5 points on airfare purchases
Earn 1 point on all other purchases
20,000 bonus points when you spend $2,500 within the first 3 months of opening the Card account

There are several similarly named PenFed cards. Please see the chart at the top of the
Master Thread: PenFed Family of Cards + Chip & PIN Questions to make sure you post in the correct thread!
Print Wikipost

PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:41 am

Despite the fact that it says $1000+ I would wait to hear back on what sort of cap they put on the prices. I cannot believe they would let you use 100k pts for a $1k or $5k ticket.

Just my 2 cents. When its too good to be true, it usually is.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:55 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by easygoing77
So they might be saying using 15K points one can get free airline ticket up to $250.
I see it in the program terms but not mentioned anywhere else and not in the "browse" of the rewards site. Hmmmm...

Maybe it's one of the "coming soon" features for January 29?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
This card has the most confusing marketing and communications associated with it. Also $15K for two passes to an airport lounge? How does that equal "free membership" in any sense of the language?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just saw this card promo earlier in the week when I logged into my PenFed account.

One of the things I find intriguing is that the list of rewards included AA, Hyatt and a few other travel (car rental, etc.) gift cards , which you could redeem points for on a 1:1 basis (10K points = $100 gift card). So...earn 5% points for airfare purchases, then redeem those points for AA gift cards to fund mileage runs, buy segment upgrades, pay for Admiral's Club membership, etc.etc.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
F.Y.I. Found this in the "Find Out More" Section on Apply Now page.

Complimentary VIP Membership in Airport Lounges Worldwide.

Cardmembers receive exclusive access to luxury with two free visits to over 600 airport lounges around the globe if eligible. So sit back, relax and refresh. Now your journey can include a welcome touch of luxury even before you reach your destination. Eligible Cardmembers receive membership and two complementary passes to over 600 airport lounges around the world. Eligible members must spend a minimum of $15,000 annually.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:24 pm

Priority pass and 2 free visits...

Well since Priority Pass has 3 levels of membership that you can purchase on your own, I will assume that is what PenFed is doing for you. Here are the 3 levels:
- $99: access and $27/visit
- $249: access plus 10 free visits and then $27/visit(11th and subsequent)
- $399: access plus unlimited free visits

So, PenFed must be buying you the basic level, the $99 membership and throwing in two $27 vouchers for the two free visits. Not as good as unlimited but they are basically throwing another $153 our way ($99+$27+$27).
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:21 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
it seems like a great card for my spending pattern.

5% on airfare, and use it 15000 points to book a cheap transcon!
and i can use this to book my family travel.
so. 5% also application to tax/fees on award tickets, right?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 3:47 pm

There are new details up in the terms and conditions section. Basically the conversion value is 62.5 points/$

Ticket cost $250: 15,625 Points
Ticket cost $350: 21,875 Points
Ticket cost $500: 31,250 Points
Ticket cost $750: 46,875 Points
Ticket cost $1,000: 62,500 Points

So my current annual airline spending alone (which now goes on Delta Reserve Amex) would yield about $2000 in points toward travel.

Hmmm...not bad. How does this compare to the U.S. Bank Flexperks Visa?

The Travel Privileges section also mentions 10% off the lowest published airfare...

However, I did ask about the other rewards available (gift cards, merchandise, etc.) and you can only look at those after you accept the card.

Last edited by pbjag; Jan 28, 2010 at 4:54 pm
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
For flexpoints, I think u can only get at most 4% off airfare (assuming airfare is the highest spending area, and it gets 2 points for each dollar spent. then each point can get at most 2c.

however, from the calculation that u show, one can get more than 7% on this card.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:30 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Did anyone get the benefits guide for this that explains the terms of the other insurance...trip delay, baggage protection, etc.?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I spent my $650 -- where do I find ANY information about the awards available for my purchases? I don't see anything on the PenFed website.

This doesn't seem like a very well run program. Which perhaps means there are some "opportunities" -- if you could at least find the rules!
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:17 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
Is the offer still valid?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by frank_10b
Is the offer still valid?
Seems to be, yes.

If you spend on airlines and redeem on airlines you can get a 8% return according to the chart posted. It is very unclear, however.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, guys, I took some time to figure out what "the deal is" with this card. As you can already tell, we're talking "minor leagues" here in terms of management.

In a nutshell, "the real deal" is achieved by buying airline tickets with your PenFed card and, to a lesser extent, using the card for hotel and dining. You get 5 points per dollar spent on air travel and 3 points for hotel and dining (although the hotel/dining bonuses are only good until the end of the year). I think you have to be a member to see the actual rewards, but here's the link:

https://www.penfedpremiumrewards.com/page.aspx?id=home

The award site is somewhat mickey-mouse (contracted out to a 3rd party), but it reminds me of Citi's Thank You Network. If you buy gift cards with your points, a point is basically worth a penny. So $10,000 in "ordinary" spending gets you a $100 gift card at a reasonable selection of travel and non-travel merchants (this makes the 20,000 sign-up bonus worth $200).

That's pretty standard and unexciting, but the deal here is that they're giving 5 points for air travel and 3 points for hotel/dining (the latter for this year only), so that's a 5% and 3 cashback, respectively.

And, as Billy Mays used to say, there's even more.

If you book an airline ticket through their website (it seems linked to Expedia or Travelocity, but shows fares in points), a point seems to be worth more than a penny! I think pbjag may have posted the right conversion rate. A point is worth a little more than a penny and a half. So a $300 airfare "costs" a little less than 20,000 points. It prices each fare individually in points.

So if use your PenFed card to buy airline tickets, such purchases earn you about an 8% cashback when used to buy more airline tickets. Hotel/dining spending would get you about 5% back on airline tickets. BTW, I think those tickets qualify for frequent flyer bonuses, so that's another advantage over using an airline-branded card.

The only hassles of this are using their website and, after the first year, being hit up for a $50 membership fee. Without that fee, this would undoubtedly be a good card to carry and use over time.

BTW, the rest of the "benefits" seem pretty useless. As best I can tell there's no 10% back on airline tickets -- that's limited to some crummy AMEX program if you buy premium economy tickets on Virgin Atlantic. All the other travel benefits are similarly worthless, except perhaps the basic prioritypass membership which would get you into 2 lounges for free. I haven't figured out how to actually sign up for that yet.

And, other than gift cards and air travel, I don't think there are any other good uses for the points. I just saw overpriced merchandise.

I look forward to reading other "tricks" about this program. There's definitely some value here, you just have to uncover it.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
OK, guys, I took some time to figure out what "the deal is" with this card. As you can already tell, we're talking "minor leagues" here in terms of management.

In a nutshell, "the real deal" is achieved by buying airline tickets with your PenFed card and, to a lesser extent, using the card for hotel and dining. You get 5 points per dollar spent on air travel and 3 points for hotel and dining (although the hotel/dining bonuses are only good until the end of the year). I think you have to be a member to see the actual rewards, but here's the link:

https://www.penfedpremiumrewards.com/page.aspx?id=home

The award site is somewhat mickey-mouse (contracted out to a 3rd party), but it reminds me of Citi's Thank You Network. If you buy gift cards with your points, a point is basically worth a penny. So $10,000 in "ordinary" spending gets you a $100 gift card at a reasonable selection of travel and non-travel merchants (this makes the 20,000 sign-up bonus worth $200).

That's pretty standard and unexciting, but the deal here is that they're giving 5 points for air travel and 3 points for hotel/dining (the latter for this year only), so that's a 5% and 3 cashback, respectively.

And, as Billy Mays used to say, there's even more.

If you book an airline ticket through their website (it seems linked to Expedia or Travelocity, but shows fares in points), a point seems to be worth more than a penny! I think pbjag may have posted the right conversion rate. A point is worth a little more than a penny and a half. So a $300 airfare "costs" a little less than 20,000 points. It prices each fare individually in points.

So if use your PenFed card to buy airline tickets, such purchases earn you about an 8% cashback when used to buy more airline tickets. Hotel/dining spending would get you about 5% back on airline tickets. BTW, I think those tickets qualify for frequent flyer bonuses, so that's another advantage over using an airline-branded card.

The only hassles of this are using their website and, after the first year, being hit up for a $50 membership fee. Without that fee, this would undoubtedly be a good card to carry and use over time.

BTW, the rest of the "benefits" seem pretty useless. As best I can tell there's no 10% back on airline tickets -- that's limited to some crummy AMEX program if you buy premium economy tickets on Virgin Atlantic. All the other travel benefits are similarly worthless, except perhaps the basic prioritypass membership which would get you into 2 lounges for free. I haven't figured out how to actually sign up for that yet.

And, other than gift cards and air travel, I don't think there are any other good uses for the points. I just saw overpriced merchandise.

I look forward to reading other "tricks" about this program. There's definitely some value here, you just have to uncover it.
Thanks for posting the additional details, iahphx! I agree regarding the other rewards being fairly useless (except the hotel and airline gft cards). A couple of questions regarding using points on their website to book travel - does it allow you to "purchase" higher fare categories (to improve upgrade odds) or select the fare category you want (e.g., discounted first class) when booking?
And what does the confirmation/receipt show as the cost - points redemption or $ value of the ticket?

Thanks!

Last edited by pbjag; Mar 4, 2010 at 8:26 pm Reason: typos!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.