Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
so will the BINAXNOW supervised test still work to come to the US?
SamirD and Avarela66 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Amil
so will the BINAXNOW supervised test still work to come to the US?
Seems so, if the sample/test date/time is there with the results.

I am curious if the airlines may have to print out new attestation forms. I would assume so, but maybe this time some trees can be saved?
Amil and princeville like this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 2, 2021 at 6:18 pm
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
First, plan. People who don’t plan well enough sometimes have to pay a price for not planning well enough to include contingency planning.
Well said. People with complicated itineraries and a small financial margin for error should not be attempting travel to the U.S. right now. E.g. a multi-day layover in London Heathrow en route to the U.S. with intermediate testing could be very costly.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Arrivals testing — if it were required at airport of entry — would be a big mess with bottlenecks in the US and likely cause crowding and/or other problems at US airports. The approach being taken instead distributes the test load across more locations, minimizes ugly scenes on arrival at US airports of entry, and reduces the proportion of passengers on US-bound flights who may be pre-symptomatic or be perceived as asymptomatic.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Seems so, if the sample/test date/time is there with the results.
Btw, under the new rules any such at-home test should be covered by insurance. That should, at least, make it free to test.

If they improve distribution so that these tests can be easily purchased everywhere - problem solved.
SamirD and FlyingfromDC like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
Btw, under the new rules any such at-home test should be covered by insurance. That should, at least, make it free to test.

If they improve distribution so that these tests can be easily purchased everywhere - problem solved.
The insurance doesn't kick in till Jan 15. It is also unclear if insurance will cover both supervised & unsupervised tests. The White House page says "Providing health plan coverage of no-cost rapid, over-the-counter (OTC) COVID-19 tests". But I will be happy if the eMed proctored tests were covered as well.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by tr3k
If this starts Monday, they better officially publish it today. Otherwise anyone that takes a test on Friday will not be able to fly (and will have no notice)
Well, I'm sure somewhere in the eastern hemisphere people with Monday flights to the US already took a test tomorrow (Friday).

And if the new regulation doesn't begin on the same calendar day across the US (stretching from UTC+10 [GUM/SPN] to UTC-11 [PPG]), but at 9 pm PST Sunday, and if there are late evening arrivals especially for the west coast, people already took their tests on Thursday.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I'm flying CPH-CDG-IAD on Monday/Tuesday. CPH has 15 minute antigen tests available, so easy to comply, but I should probably show up early so I can dive into any chaos with equanimity
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 8:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SpinEcho
Do we know when that one-day requirement comes into force?
CNN and Reuters reporting Monday.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/polit...-us/index.html

Washington (CNN)The Biden administration's new, stricter Covid-19 testing requirements for all travelers coming to the United States will take effect on Monday, an administration official told CNN.
https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...ay-2021-12-02/
WASHINGTON, Dec 2 (Reuters) - New rules requiring international air travelers arriving in the United States to obtain a negative COVID-19 test within one day of travel will take effect Monday at 12:01 a.m. ET (0501 GMT), U.S. officials confirmed Thursday.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I guess with emed, 1day vs 3 shouldn't be a big deal. I'm always worried about an invalid result or false positive. It's allot harder to find a test within the day vs within 3.

It's seems like the people who write these rules (in any country), have never traveled before or are use to having people take care of everything for them
84fiero and cemlaw like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by zymm
I'm flying CPH-CDG-IAD on Monday/Tuesday. CPH has 15 minute antigen tests available, so easy to comply, but I should probably show up early so I can dive into any chaos with equanimity
I believe foreign visitors are eligible for free covid rapid tests in Denmark (will check shortly)
SamirD and zymm like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr
there are multiple ways to deal with this. First, don’t travel. Second, have some layover with an intermediate test. Third, oh yeah, don’t travel.
I have friends who couldn't come to dying parents or siblings or attend funerals because of restrictions. Others had to postpone weddings as close family couldn't come.
A coworker is heading to India next week to brothers wedding that was postponed once last year when situation there was dire...
84fiero likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
It makes sense if the true purpose of the rule is to discourage international travel during a global pandemic by making it more of a hassle, which is what I believe it is.
Brilliant assessment of what is really going on. A 1-day vs 3-day testing window accomplishes nothing. It's merely an impediment to predictable travel. I, for one, am canceling all international travel for fear of being trapped overseas due to these new testing requirements.

I am triple-vaccinated, and have tested positive around 15 times since this pandemic began (I have had to be PCR tested almost weekly for work requirements), and, every time, I was asymptomatic. So, I was either the "Typhoid Mary" of COVID or there are a lot of false positives (or maybe it's just normal for the vaccinated to have a high viral load of COVID without getting sick).

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 2, 2021 at 10:54 pm
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:41 pm

Can someone comment on this?
CDC updated page about connections:
If your itinerary has you arriving to the US via one or more connecting flights, your test can be taken within 1 day before the departure of the first flight.
I have an AAdvantage award ticket booked like this.
Dec 12 MLE-CMB 2100-2255
Dec 13 CMB-DOH 2005-2235
Dec 14 DOH-IAD 0130-0835

My plan was to get tested at the resort in the MLE on Dec 11. This would have for sure complied with the 72 hour requirement for CMB and the USA.
We are spending the night at a hotel in CMB and will only pass through the airport at CMB.
The ticket is clearly written as a through ticket. It prices at 70,000 miles and since the stops are less than 24 hours, they are, in the airline ticketing world, considered connections.
Does this mean I can still get my test in MLE on Dec 11?

That would still meet the requirement for MLE and the USA 1-day prior to the first flight?

Thanks.
SamirD and jmhendersonuk like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
The newly dated CDC covid Travel Requirements are posted. Nothing has changed other than 3 day -> 1 day. "1 Day" not 24 hours.

Just like the last document, answers are there for people who wish to be fully informed of facts in regards to Abbot BiNax meeting the requirements (nothing has changed), and timing and validity of testing for connecting flights and flight delays. It's all really quite clear.

As usual, I've printed it out and highlighted the relevant passages should the need arise to educate a check-in agent.
PTahCha, GUWonder, Boraxo and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.