Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by friedablass
Yes, but don't hold your breathe.

It's not the CDC making the announcement though, the administration will.
Actually no, the mandate expires UNLESS the White House comes out again with an ACTIVE statement of another extension as they did on March 18th.

All the best.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:12 am

Is it legal to fly into Canada from abroad, such as Europe (as a fully vaccinated US citizen) and take a bus across the border from Canada to United States to avoid the predeparture test? Has anyone done or considered doing this?
casey89 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mnhusker
Actually no, the mandate expires UNLESS the White House comes out again with an ACTIVE statement of another extension as they did on March 18th.

All the best.
oh, so the situation is that they must publish new regulation (or renew the existing one) or the tests and masks will be scrapped. My next trip is at the end of May and when I was in the US last time this February I was really hoping it was the last time when I was stressed with the pre-departure testing and having mask for 11 hours in plane.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: OW Emerald / BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Traveler2022
Is it legal to fly into Canada from abroad, such as Europe (as a fully vaccinated US citizen) and take a bus across the border from Canada to United States to avoid the predeparture test? Has anyone done or considered doing this?
oh also interested in this. I am traveling to YYZ in two weeks and planning to visit Buffalo and Niagara Falls. So you don't need a negative test when you are land crossing borders?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by casey89
oh also interested in this. I am traveling to YYZ in two weeks and planning to visit Buffalo and Niagara Falls. So you don't need a negative test when you are land crossing borders?
Nope, no predeparture tests needed crossing to Canada or United States via land borders. However, you do need to fill out Arrivecan to go to Canada regardless of how you enter. It's ironic - I'm triple vaccinated, I will wear a mask without complaint, and I would gladly test myself once I'm back home after my trip - but no, I have to take a test abroad and in the chance I'm positive have to quarantine there for 10 days. It's incredibly frustrating. I know going via Canada is a "loophole" but it seems perfectly feasible?! I'm hoping they will cut the test requirement soon due to these things. You can do this same thing crossing the land border with Mexico and you don't need a test to enter the US off a boat. It's crazy.
Laur0824 and casey89 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by casey89
oh, so the situation is that they must publish new regulation (or renew the existing one) or the tests and masks will be scrapped. My next trip is at the end of May and when I was in the US last time this February I was really hoping it was the last time when I was stressed with the pre-departure testing and having mask for 11 hours in plane.
Mask mandate currently has an end date- April 18, 2022. If not extended before then, it is no longer in place on April 19.

Testing requirement to enter the US via air is completely separate and has no end date in the regulations. It will only end when new regulations are put out ending it. Some people were conflating the two, hoping that the April 18 end of the mask mandate would spur the US government to remove the testing requirement in tandem. But they are in no way legally linked.
Smiley90, northinsouth and casey89 like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by mnhusker

All the best.
Is this true for both mask *and* international test? That is, do both need an affirmative extension by the government each time or is the international test requirement more like "its in force till we say otherwise".
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Is this true for both mask *and* international test? That is, do both need an affirmative extension by the government each time or is the international test requirement more like "its in force till we say otherwise".
Masks will be ended without an extension. Testing will continue until it’s repealed
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Masks will be ended without an extension. Testing will continue until it’s repealed
In that case, we'll have to wait for the next Admin, because this one ain't repealing diddly.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by Visconti
In that case, we'll have to wait for the next Admin, because this one ain't repealing diddly.
I had hoped they would repeal, but the NYT had a story that the NE has recorded a 60% case increase in new variant cases since end of March. Meet the next reason for more required mask time. Sigh.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Originally Posted by gudugan
I'll make an assumption
  • Person is a Chinese citizen with a visa to enter the US and is not a permanent resident of the US
Option 1 (they have a visa for Canada)Option 2 (no Canada visa)
  • A US visa can be substituted for several other countries such as Bulgaria, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Panama, Peru, or Uruguay.
  • Figure out if one of these countries vaccinates tourists.
  • Repeat steps in Option 1
  • This may also be possible if they qualify under the Come2hk/Return2hk quarantine exemption for Hong Kong

No test just vaccine over land
Revisiting this, it looks like Thailand is an option but they don’t have the JJ vaccine, making it a pretty long “medical tourism” trip.

Canada offers JJ for sure? Any idea if Mexico offers JJ? She does not have a visa for Canada but Mexico would be fine.

Really hope the government can drop the vax requirement because we all know that someone who took a JJ vax over a year ago has zero protection but is regarded as “vaccinated.”
Old Apr 8, 2022, 11:48 am

So has any American flown from USA - foreign country - Canada - drive to USA without any problems? I'm concerned that the airport/border may suspect I'm trying to circumvent the test and give me a hard time. Of course, I guess worst case scenario is that I'm given a covid test in that case.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So has any American flown from USA - foreign country - Canada - drive to USA without any problems? I'm concerned that the airport/border may suspect I'm trying to circumvent the test and give me a hard time. Of course, I guess worst case scenario is that I'm given a covid test in that case.
Who are you worried will give you a hard time? Canada or American CBP officers at the border?

If Canada lets you in without a test, they probably won't care that you are there to avoid testing before entering the USA.

And if you're American, CBP officers at the border won't care if you're vaccinated/tested. If they ask "Why did you fly to Toronto" you could say "Because I didn't want to do a COVID test" and you could add "... because I have COVID" and CBP will just let you in and lt you go on your way, even if you are feverish, coughing, etc.
Xyzzy and BuildingMyBento like this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Who are you worried will give you a hard time? Canada or American CBP officers at the border?

If Canada lets you in without a test, they probably won't care that you are there to avoid testing before entering the USA.

And if you're American, CBP officers at the border won't care if you're vaccinated/tested. If they ask "Why did you fly to Toronto" you could say "Because I didn't want to do a COVID test" and you could add "... because I have COVID" and CBP will just let you in and lt you go on your way, even if you are feverish, coughing, etc.
I was kind of concerned the airline or the officers at the border may see the transit as suspicious. Obviously if I fly out of the US to a foreign country and then back to Canada and bus to the US it probably looks like I'm trying to avoid the prearrival testing. However, it seems almost too easy of a way to do it - it's not too inconvenient for me to transit this way.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
I was kind of concerned the airline or the officers at the border may see the transit as suspicious. Obviously if I fly out of the US to a foreign country and then back to Canada and bus to the US it probably looks like I'm trying to avoid the prearrival testing. However, it seems almost too easy of a way to do it - it's not too inconvenient for me to transit this way.
You might be over-thinking the testing and under-thinking the ground transportation. Are you sure cross-border buses are running where you want to cross?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.