Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist

Here is the White House Briefing Notes for today - new 24 hour testing requirement goes into effect next week.
feysul, jspira, SamirD and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The test requirement is to be for it to be done within one day of departure. Not a firm 24 hours.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
New rules to be announced at 1:40pm EST

The press conference where the new U.S. rules will be arrived appears to have been scheduled at 1:40pm EST. Hopefully shortly after that CDC pages will be updated, and we can all calibrate our testing plans for upcoming trips.

1:40 PM ET President Biden Delivers Remarks on the COVID-19 Winter Plan: President Biden Delivers Remarks on his Administration’s Plan to Continue the Fight Against COVID-19 as we Enter the Winter Months and Face the Omicron Variant (source: https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/)
feysul and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 9:25 am

I just got an email from Virgin Atlantic advising me the changes are from the 6th

Hello from Virgin Atlantic:
This is an important message regarding your upcoming flight to the US and recent changes to testing requirements. From the week commencing 6th December, all customers aged 2 and above must complete a Covid-19 test within 1 day of departure to the US and present the test certificate with the negative result. A lateral flow self-test is permitted providing that this is observed via a telehealth consultation.
Silver Fox, CREN and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:36 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by uktank
I just got an email from Virgin Atlantic advising me the changes are from the 6th

Hello from Virgin Atlantic:
This is an important message regarding your upcoming flight to the US and recent changes to testing requirements. From the week commencing 6th December, all customers aged 2 and above must complete a Covid-19 test within 1 day of departure to the US and present the test certificate with the negative result. A lateral flow self-test is permitted providing that this is observed via a telehealth consultation.
got the same for our flight next week. A relief that it’s a LF and massive relief no quarantine
Old Dec 2, 2021, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by FlyingfromDC
On pins and needles, as CDC pages have not been updated yet. Will the new rule be to test 1 day before departure or < 24 hrs before boarding? Will rapid antigen tests continue to be accepted?

News stories out so far seem to suggest the only changes are the change in timing of departure test and extension of mask mandate.
  1. Stronger Public Health Protocols for Safe International Travel: Last month, the Administration implemented stronger international travel protocols, including requirements for foreign travelers to be fully vaccinated. The very day the WHO identified the new Omicron variant, the Biden Administration took immediate steps to restrict travel from the countries in the region where it was confirmed to be spreading quickly. The President will announce additional steps to strengthen the safety of international travel as we face this new threat – just as we have faced those that have come before it.
  • Strengthening global pre-departure testing protocols: Early next week, the United States will tighten pre-departure testing protocols by requiring all inbound international travelers to test within one day of departure globally, regardless of nationality or vaccination status. This tighter testing timeline provides an added degree of public health protection as scientists continue to assess the Omicron variant.
  • Extending the requirement to wear a mask on airplanes, rail travel, and public transportation: The Administration will continue to require masking during international or other public travel – as well as in transportation hubs such as airports or indoor bus terminals – through March 18 as we continue to battle COVID-19 this winter. The Transportation Security Administration will extend its implementing orders to maintain these requirements through March 18. Fines will continue to be doubled from their initial levels for noncompliance with the masking requirements – with a minimum fine of $500 and fines of up to $3,000 for repeat offenders.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...9-this-winter/

The fact sheet doesn't mention anything else for international travel. I'd think it unlikely they will add more, but we shall see.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze. MLife Gold, Cunard Diamond, Total Rewards Diamond.
Same issue here But with a UK domestic departure . Original flights booked flying from ABZ on ChrIstmas day with an easy connection to Las Vegas, l thought it odd BA were flying on Christmas day from up here anyway. Then last month they cancel the domestic to London , so it's rebooked for Dec 24th . Then a few weeks ago they cancel the flight to Las Vegas and its rebooked to San Francisco on Dec 25th with morning departure and change at San Francisco.The agent from South Africa assured all was well and the paid for seats would be moved over. They havent , but l don relish another hour long wait on hold. It's all on one booking reference number. So given the new testing regulations of entry into the USA does the one day start before checkin at Aberdeen or the following day at Heathrow.when its checkin for San Francisco Signed up for the Verifly . I guess all hope of an online checkin is out the window .
While Aberdeen Airport is doing testing it starts at 0800 and with a flight departure time of 10.30am its looks pretty tight.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Just to triple check - this requirement does NOT apply for travel to the lower 48 from US territories, correct?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:35 pm

can this be an antigen test, 1 day before? i assume so, it would be kind of hard to get a PCR test within a day, since now EVERYONE has to do it ugh...
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:39 pm

Ok, so flying on the 5th - test can still be 3 day prior?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by michael1023
can this be an antigen test, 1 day before? i assume so, it would be kind of hard to get a PCR test within a day, since now EVERYONE has to do it ugh...
I have the same question.
enviroian, SamirD and gudugan like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cunardqueen
So given the new testing regulations of entry into the USA does the one day start before checkin at Aberdeen or the following day at Heathrow.when its checkin for San Francisco Signed up for the Verifly . I guess all hope of an online checkin is out the window .
The bit we do know is that what counts is the departure time of the flight that gets you into America. So it's relative to the LHR-USA service, not the UK domestic flights. I think "one day" actually means the day of departure or the day before, but that is my conjecture. When this has happened before the CDC update their website in a clear way and will give an example like "if you flight departs on a Wednesday you need to be tested on Tuesday or Wednesday", or some such, but we probably need to wait a day or so for that level of clarity.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by tr3k
Ok, so flying on the 5th - test can still be 3 day prior?
Everything I have read indicates it won’t begin until the 6th at the earliest.

I fly AMS>LHR>PHL>MCO on the 5th. Having a PCR done tomorrow morning with results promised by tomorrow night. They need to provide more than 24 hours notice, particularly on a weekend!
Silver Fox, SamirD and tr3k like this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The bit we do know is that what counts is the departure time of the flight that gets you into America. So it's relative to the LHR-USA service, not the UK domestic flights. I think "one day" actually means the day of departure or the day before, but that is my conjecture. When this has happened before the CDC update their website in a clear way and will give an example like "if you flight departs on a Wednesday you need to be tested on Tuesday or Wednesday", or some such, but we probably need to wait a day or so for that level of clarity.
it should be the 1 day before the first flight on the single itinerary heading towards US, as it always been

not everyone live within 7-10h flight away from US.

so for people flying from the other side of the world (eg S or SE Asia), it wouldnt be reasonable to expect them to always stop somewhere and get tested at transit zone.

BUT if you have long layover, intentionally, then you are putting extra risk on yourself for getting the covid test result rejected while boarding the flight at transit country.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Honestly, its complete BS to announce this and not have a date or any more info 6 hours after the announcement.
I have a flight out of YVR on Sunday and have a valid test already, but have had to book a backup test on Saturday just in case it goes into effect quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.