Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
I don't see why you can't use them. It says "use with any unopened ihealth test, or purchase here". I'm not flying back to the US until the end of April but if this requirement is still in place I'm planning on using this service with my existing still sealed tests.

Has anyone used Flowflex tests with Azova successfully? I have a couple of these as well and would like to use them for my kids. Can I schedule tests just for them without also scheduling for myself?
i contacted them and i was told that yes they can be used i just wanted to confirm with them
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:43 pm

Unfortunately it looks like they won't proctor a BinaxNow kit, which is all I have. Guess I'll be buying a couple of Flowflex kits...
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:48 am

Return to US Covid test requirement.

Current rule
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.

So just to clarify if I am flying from India to JFK with a connecting flight in Doha should the Covid test be within 1 day for the flight from Doha to USA? Or must the test be within one day from the initial flight that I will be taking from India? Airline is Qatar Airways.

Last edited by Shovad747; Mar 23, 2022 at 12:56 pm
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by Shovad747
Current rule

So just to clarify if I am flying from India to JFK with a connecting flight in Doha then the Covid test must be within 1 day in order for me to take the flight from Doha to USA? Or must the test be within one day from the initial flight I will take from India?
Your test should be taken the day before your originating flight ie India on the assumption you are just transiting in Doha.
Shovad747 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Shovad747
Current rule

So just to clarify if I am flying from India to JFK with a connecting flight in Doha then the Covid test must be within 1 day in order for me to take the flight from Doha to USA? Or must the test be within one day from the initial flight I will take from India?
- Are you flying on a single ticket? If so, then the airline checking you in in India will ask for the test results and you will not be asked again in DOH. This is what happened when we were flying ZNZ-DOH-MIA on Qatar last fall: we were asked to show test results in ZNZ but not DOH.
However, I am not sure what would happen if you are asked to check in in DOH.
Shovad747 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- Are you flying on a single ticket? If so, then the airline checking you in in India will ask for the test results and you will not be asked again in DOH. This is what happened when we were flying ZNZ-DOH-MIA on Qatar last fall: we were asked to show test results in ZNZ but not DOH.
When I went ZRH > CDG > USA, they checked the test twice. On check in at ZRH, and just before boarding in CDG.
Last week in DXB they also checked twice, on check-in and just before boarding.
So maybe they run things a bit differently in DOH?
Shovad747 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by wooootles
When I went ZRH > CDG > USA, they checked the test twice. On check in at ZRH, and just before boarding in CDG.
Last week in DXB they also checked twice, on check-in and just before boarding.
So maybe they run things a bit differently in DOH?
- Did you travel on the same airline? I suspect that Covid test data may not be shared by airlines. In my case we were traveling on the same Qatar.
- In case of OP, the question what constitute a transit vs. stopover? A stay <24 hrs? Travel on the same ticket?

Last edited by Alex_I; Mar 23, 2022 at 12:03 pm Reason: additional comment
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wouldn't expect transit rules to apply with separate tickets. The rule is likely to be enforced as one day before the first flight (in the given direction if RT or multicity, or after an official stopover over 24 hours) on a ticket, with separate tickets also needing to satisfy all entry requirements (including testing) for the destination shown on the first ticket.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:55 pm

With a flight to the US booked for late April, it would be great if they ditched the testing requirements on the 18th as requested in the article below.

https://archive.ph/YPQv8
LETTERBOY and VRFast like this.

Last edited by tartan 201; Mar 23, 2022 at 1:13 pm
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:59 pm

ok thanks for clarifying that, yes mine is also Qatar Airways and it’s on a single ticket with a transit at Doha.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:03 pm

- Did you travel on the same airline? I suspect that Covid test data may not be shared by airlines. In my case we were traveling on the same Qatar.
- In case of OP, the question what constitute a transit vs. stopover? A stay <24 hrs? Travel on the same ticket?

Yes it’s a single ticket (Qatar Airways), so it seems Qatar will only check at the originating flight from India.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 4:58 pm

In my particular case, it was AF on both legs.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by wooootles
In my particular case, it was AF on both legs.
How long was your transit at CDG? I'm travelling with AF soon and have an overnight (circa 18-hour) layover at CDG.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by danger
How long was your transit at CDG? I'm travelling with AF soon and have an overnight (circa 18-hour) layover at CDG.
was ~4hrs IIRC, just enough to enjoy the new AF lounge
Old Mar 25, 2022, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by SFOTerry
I also received the free iHealth test kits from the feds; and am happy to see the site above offers proctored tests for $20. But when I click on the appointment availability link on their site ["Available by appointment only. (Check the availability here)"], my malware monitor gets upset.
Has anyone here actually booked and used the iHealth proctored tests? I have 4 unopened 2-packs and will need to test 2 humans in Paris on April 11th (per the current rules). My AVG anti-virus still objects vehemently to some supposed malware embedded in the schedule preview site (https://ihealthcvidtest.com/verifyTest/previewschedule - replace the with o). I believe someone above noted that the test can't be done on a phone - not a problem, but I need to get past this malware issue.

I suppose we could go to a pharmacy nearby, but would prefer to do it in our room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.