Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Is Covishield from India recognized for USA entry?

We have a visitor from India who has Covishield vaccine administered in India, with the second dose done in Sep 2021.

Knowing that Covishield in AstraZenica, I still have to ask if Indian version of AZ vaccine would be valid for the US entry.

Thanks.

Old May 4, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by invisible
We have a visitor from India who has Covishield vaccine administered in India, with the second dose done in Sep 2021.

Knowing that Covishield in AstraZenica, I still have to ask if Indian version of AZ vaccine would be valid for the US entry.

Thanks.
It took me less time to look this up than it probably did for you to start this thread.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...covid-vaccines
Old May 4, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I was specifically asking regarding locally India manufactured AZ vaccine. Glad if it is not a problem.

One potential problem I see is that vaccination requirement documentation has the following entry

All forms of proof of COVID-19 vaccination must have

• Personal identifiers (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number) that match the personal identifiers on the passenger’s passport or other travel documents
  • Name of official source issuing the record (e.g., public health agency, government agency, or other authorized vaccine provider)
  • Vaccine manufacturer and date(s) of vaccination
I see the problem with the bolded above. If anyone have seen Indian vaccination card, it has name, age, gender and three other fields - ID verfied, health ID, beneficiary reference ID. It DOES NOT have passport number or date of birth.

So my question is if the above will be a problem. Especially in Heathrow, when boarding the flight to SFO....

Last edited by invisible; May 4, 2022 at 12:28 pm
Old May 4, 2022, 12:31 pm

24 hours in the UK… [before returning to the USA]

I have to go to the UK (from the US) for 24 hours — can I simply get a covid test in the US pre-departure and use it for my US re-entry?

it kind of shows how stupid the rule is to begin with, because if I somehow get covid in the 24 hours it won’t even show up on an antigen test.

(and for what it’s worth, I’m vaccinated AND recovered from Covid in December, but that is too far out to have the “recovered from covid” clause apply — it’s 90 days)
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Two conditions this can work - 1) If you're taking a morning flight over to the UK and then leaving the following day, or 2) Leaving the same day you arrive in the UK. Otherwise if you leave US on Day 1, Arrive UK Day 2, and Depart on Day 3, you'll have to get a test on Day 2 or 3.
Old May 4, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by rampguy
I have to go to the UK (from the US) for 24 hours — can I simply get a covid test in the US pre-departure and use it for my US re-entry?

it kind of shows how stupid the rule is to begin with, because if I somehow get covid in the 24 hours it won’t even show up on an antigen test.

(and for what it’s worth, I’m vaccinated AND recovered from Covid in December, but that is too far out to have the “recovered from covid” clause apply — it’s 90 days)
If you're flying to Heathrow, they have testing in each terminal you can do on arrival or even in the hours before your flight.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
One issue is the testing time stamp you have to be careful about, especially when it asks for your local time....
Old May 5, 2022, 7:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rampguy
Here's what is supposed to work: a Covid-19 test taken no earlier than the calendar day before the date of the flight departure from the UK back to the US.

If you leave on a Thursday evening from the US to the UK with a pre-flight test taken in the US before you fly to the UK but happen to be scheduled to fly back on Saturday, then that test shouldn't work for the trip back to the US.
Old May 5, 2022, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
[Mod edit]

Pre-departure testing has no updates, it's a completely different reasoning and order.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 5, 2022 at 10:44 am Reason: Redacted comment on off-topic discussion
Old May 5, 2022, 10:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Moderator note

This thread is about pre-departure testing for those flying to the US. Please do not (re-)start discussion on mask mandate which is not related to pre-departure testing.
EmailKid likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Travel industry CEOs push to end COVID test mandate for re-entry to the U.S.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/trav...144121267.html

Not a whole lot of detail here, but this may be of interest.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; May 7, 2022 at 12:55 am Reason: To comply with FT rule 7
Old May 6, 2022, 4:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Hello Boys and Girls

I have held off doing this solely in the vain hope that this might go away but it does not seem so inclined.

Where can we be Antigen tested for US entry in central Madrid. The question was asked about 2 years ago . The answer was Echevarne Laboratories. Is this information still current? Are they still doing so and if so does one need to make an appointment? Is there anywhere else that anyone can recommend?

I want some sort of certificate, preferably within an hour to upload to Verfifly (or itinerary is MAD-LHR (night stop) LHR-ORD, I was thinking of having it done locally in France the day before checking-in in MAD? However as I am flying to ORD and there is no direct flight - my Verifly must start in LHR and I wondered if Verifly would accept a Covid test taken two days before even though the itinerary starts in MAD the day before? I am aware that this is not the place to ask this but some of you may have had this issue already.

Many Thanks in advance!
Old May 6, 2022, 5:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This year too, I have often been tested in the Schengen zone on Day N — the day of my flying from Schengen airports to LHR — so as to overnight in London and then fly on Day N+1 to the US on the same-ticketed PNR that brought me into LHR from the Schengen zone. And it’s been the airlines at LHR that checked me for my compliance with the US testing requirement.

It’s rather frequently the case for me since 2021 that I test in say one Schengen country, originate a trip out of another Schengen country and have an overnight layover in London en route to the US. I haven’t had any problems with it, but I also don’t care to count on the Verifly-type stuff since things work fine for me at the airports on such US-bound itineraries anyway.

Testing two days before the LHR-US flight? While you shouldn’t be at the mercy of the airline reps or VeriFly type services on an itinerary that involves this kind of MAD-LHR+overnight LHR+LHR-US itinerary — since testing the day before MAD-LHR should work on a single ticketed PNR that has the LHR-US flight — sometimes it could depend upon whom you encounter at check-in (or with VeriFly or whatever) even as it can meet the US requirement.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 6, 2022 at 5:12 am
Old May 6, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold. IHG Diamond Elite / Ambassador
Similarly holding off in the vain hope it would go away.
I've got plenty of free NHS tests and would test myself before heading to the airport but having to pay for an official test and fit it into my schedule and deal with extra paperwork is a pain.

We're doing 0945 LHR T3 - BUD on Tue 10th
then on Wed 11th doing 0720 BUD - LHR T3 (arr 0942) and 1250 LHR T5 - JFK

Am I right in thinking a £35 ExpressTest Lateral Flow on the T3 forecourt around 0700 on Tue 10th before heading to BUD will do the job for the US flight the following afternoon?

Has anyone used this site without prebooking? Slots from 0600 appear to be wide open.
Old May 6, 2022, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Hello Boys and Girls

I have held off doing this solely in the vain hope that this might go away but it does not seem so inclined.

Where can we be Antigen tested for US entry in central Madrid. The question was asked about 2 years ago . The answer was Echevarne Laboratories. Is this information still current? Are they still doing so and if so does one need to make an appointment? Is there anywhere else that anyone can recommend?

I want some sort of certificate, preferably within an hour to upload to Verfifly (or itinerary is MAD-LHR (night stop) LHR-ORD, I was thinking of having it done locally in France the day before checking-in in MAD? However as I am flying to ORD and there is no direct flight - my Verifly must start in LHR and I wondered if Verifly would accept a Covid test taken two days before even though the itinerary starts in MAD the day before? I am aware that this is not the place to ask this but some of you may have had this issue already.

Many Thanks in advance!
DAM Health, C. Rafael Calvo 37, Madrid. They use a spit in the cup method, I was in and out with printed result and email in 15 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.