Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Old Dec 3, 21, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flights departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Old Apr 23, 22, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by nk15 View Post
Does anyone know which time-zone is used in calculating "the day before"? Let's say you fly Monday morning for your return to the US trip, will it count as "the day before" if you do the test at 2am Sunday in country of departure (but it is 8pm Saturday in the US, due to the time difference?

Is the proctored BinaxNOW test via Navica available 24/7 including weekends, or do you need appointments?
It is the timezone of your first flight. The eMed PDF shows the time in UTC. The Navica app displays the date/time in the local timezone as well.
nk15 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 11:15 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; HH Diamond
The free test kits sent out in the US (iHealth) offer a proctored test for $25 (doesn't include the test kit). They say they are CDC-compliant for return/flights to US.

Will be testing it out next week.

https://ihealthlabs.com/products/ihe...d-test-service
Old Apr 23, 22, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by TommyD2 View Post
The free test kits sent out in the US (iHealth) offer a proctored test for $25 (doesn't include the test kit). They say they are CDC-compliant for return/flights to US.

So, the makers of this free test kit the USPS has mailed to anyone requesting one is also offering the proctor verification services for an additional $25? Not too bad--still don't like coughing up $$ to these people though.
Old Apr 23, 22, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
So, the makers of this free test kit the USPS has mailed to anyone requesting one is also offering the proctor verification services for an additional $25? Not too bad--still don't like coughing up $$ to these people though.
Different manufacturer kits were sent out, not just ihealth

Some people got the binax ones. However, binax don't offer online proctoring as a separate addon (you have to buy their specific binax+emed version one, and the packaging is different)
Visconti likes this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
Different manufacturer kits were sent out, not just ihealth

Some people got the binax ones. However, binax don't offer online proctoring as a separate addon (you have to buy their specific binax+emed version one, and the packaging is different)
Got it. Ok, these ihealth are the ones I'm the most familiar with, and probably because the Gov't sent these to me. Looking forward to the poster's report above and it if it's efficient, I'll just order these and cough up the $25. At least, I know how to use these kits in my sleep now.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I ended up buying a qured test for my visit to my mom in the UK. They only ship tests within the UK so I couldn't get one for PVR trip. I then went to emed (where I bought before) but was quickly reminded they only sell a six pack and I'm sure as hell not going to waste my money on 6 tests for $150 when I only need one.

I'm staying at the Westin PVR and I'm sure I could tweet PM bonvoy and ask if they could put me in touch with a concierge to see what onsite anti-gen testing they have but would have to assume such a hotel driven price would be high. Other than that are there any places to get just 1 proctored test mailed to my US based home?
Old Apr 23, 22, 12:43 pm

There are a million places in Mexico/PuertoVallarta to get a negative result certificate. I wouldn't worry, just ask around once there.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 23, 22, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by TommyD2 View Post

Do you know how far out you can schedule the proctoring?
Old Apr 23, 22, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by drminn View Post
Do you know how far out you can schedule the proctoring?
it's in the faq
Do I need an appointment to use the service?Yes. After placing an order, you will receive an email containing a ticket number and instructions on how to make an appointment. You can check the availability prior to your purchase here.
https://ihealthcovidtest.com/verifyTest/previewschedule
Says laptop with chrome browser only, no phones/tablets (unlike the emed one)
Old Apr 23, 22, 6:09 pm

What's the average cost these days? This might be a better option since, as far as I know, my medical insurance reimburses tests from a Pharmacy, but I'm not sure if it will on one of these net/proctor type deals.
In Playa del Carmen they had a nurse occupying a room each morning and you could make appointments. It cost $25, charged to the hotel room. I got hyatt points for it, which is really the key.
Old Apr 24, 22, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by jettad View Post
I just had a rapid test done at LHR Monday at ExpressTest in Terminal 5 for 32GBP. Very easy, quick (did it at 6:30am for an 11:50am flight) and had the results back within 35 minutes.
Did you book the tests or just walk up?
Old Apr 24, 22, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS View Post
Did you book the tests or just walk up?
I booked the test the day before, but would advise to book early earlier if possible. Also when I was there someone was being turned away as they had not booked, so I don't think they accept walk ups.
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.
Old Apr 24, 22, 9:46 am

Qured ship in the USA. I used them for a trip to Spain and my daughter for a trip to Scandinavia. Delivery was quick, I think 3 or 4 days.
Old Apr 24, 22, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Hornetcoach View Post
Qured ship in the USA. I used them for a trip to Spain and my daughter for a trip to Scandinavia. Delivery was quick, I think 3 or 4 days.
there was no option to ship to USA on the drop down. Only UK was available.

This leads me to the question: Is there any *single* anti gen proctored tests for sale in the US that mail to your home?
Old Apr 24, 22, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
$25? For LHR-USA, the test is c. $15 + public transit bus fare to get the antigen test done in person at the testing site at the Hyatt Place LHR. I would go for the cheaper option.

Most of my Covid-19 tests to fly to the US this year have not required me to buy anything from a test provider/seller: thank you Denmark for the free testing at the airport working out with the US 1 calendar day testing requirement.

Search this Thread