Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
Are there any rumblings about the US dropping the vaccine requirement? I have an acquaintance trying to fly to the US from China, but her vaccine is not one of the WHO approved ones, and it is rather tricky to get injected with another one.
I'll make an assumption
  • Person is a Chinese citizen with a visa to enter the US and is not a permanent resident of the US
Option 1 (they have a visa for Canada)Option 2 (no Canada visa)
  • A US visa can be substituted for several other countries such as Bulgaria, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Panama, Peru, or Uruguay.
  • Figure out if one of these countries vaccinates tourists.
  • Repeat steps in Option 1
  • This may also be possible if they qualify under the Come2hk/Return2hk quarantine exemption for Hong Kong

Originally Posted by casey89
and do you still need negative test or the vaccine is enough?
​​​​​​​No test just vaccine over land
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by drwook
Has anyone flown from UK to US based on recovery from covid rather than a test? I had to cancel a trip due to getting it (still on tail end, day 7....) and will be rescheduling in the next few weeks once over it - I am conscious I might be getting false positives still, the CDC seems happy with;
  • You are required to show a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 when you travel to the United States by air.
it would make logistics easier if I can travel based on the proof of recovery document from the NHS app, and I have the confirmed positive from a PCR not just LFTs. Has anyone on here successfully done so?
For UK to US flights too, some have used the (Danish-issued) EU Digital Covid-19 Recovery Certificate to meet the US “testing” requirement. I assume the airlines at UK airports at least are more familiar with the local/UK equivalent than with the EU equivalent, so if you have something like that it would presumably meet the US requirement.
drwook likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by roberto99
The US policy currently requires a negative test taken up to 1 day before initial boarding.

So if your KRK-FRA flight departs on a Wednesday at 18:00, then you could get your test sample taken as early as 00:01 Tuesday morning.

Some would interpret the rule to be 1 day before the US bound flight. I can envision some airport employees doing this.

It is 1 day before initial departure, not 24 hours.
I am going to fly to ORD in the next few days, my first flight will leave around 20:20. Most testing centers won't open until 08:00. so I only have a 12hr window to get tested and receive the result before I can fly if I will be tested using RT-PCR. I am from the Philippines, I am not sure if there are antigen tests available here that is accepted for travel to the US.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by boybi
I am going to fly to ORD in the next few days, my first flight will leave around 20:20. Most testing centers won't open until 08:00. so I only have a 12hr window to get tested and receive the result before I can fly if I will be tested using RT-PCR. I am from the Philippines, I am not sure if there are antigen tests available here that is accepted for travel to the US.
You actually have a 24+12 hour window, since you can get tested the day before, not the day of.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:00 pm

... I am not sure if there are antigen tests available here that is accepted for travel to the US.
The Wiki post for this thread lists all the acceptable antigen tests.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:47 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90
You actually have a 24+12 hour window, since you can get tested the day before, not the day of.
Please clarify, if my flight will be on Thursday 20:00, I can get tested on Wednesday morning? (The testing center near my place is only open for covid testing from 8-10AM).
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Please clarify, if my flight will be on Thursday 20:00, I can get tested on Wednesday morning? (The testing center near my place is only open for covid testing from 8-10AM).
Yes you can get tested any time from 12:00 a.m. Wednesday. As long as your test is dated 1 calendar day before your flight, it's fine. It doesn't have to be within 24 hours.
GUWonder and boybi like this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 5:51 am

I (USA citizen) will be going WAW-MSY (KLM is the first leg, will not be leaving airport) on Apr 13. I have a BINAX test with me, as presumably I was to take that a day before (I have no idea how I am supposed to use that to generate the proper documentation to get me on the flight), I have had the 3 Moderna shots, and have the CDC card attesting to that.

What will I need to do? KLM's website seems to say that all I need is my vaccination card.

EDIT: Since I was present in Russia on Feb 28, 2022, it looks like the test requirement is waived.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/fr-pr...tive-test.html

I wonder how I should proactively ensure that I won't have any hassles from the check-in agent. Perhaps I could go a day early to the airport and talk to the KLM check-in desk just to make sure that they know this rule.

I am trying to do Messenger with a human at KLM, but it looks like it might be a while. Is there an E-mail address I could use to converse with someone at KLM?

Last edited by swampwiz; Mar 30, 2022 at 9:10 am
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Try using this to see how it should go for you meeting the requirements:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/A...ing_UPDATE.pdf
Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Try using this to see how it should go for you meeting the requirements:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/A...ing_UPDATE.pdf
This seems to only be for non-citizens.

EDIT: There is a link in that document to this document, that seems to say that all that is required is an attestation to being fully vaccinated (which in my case is documented by my CDC card):

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/N...ec2021_508.pdf

Last edited by swampwiz; Mar 30, 2022 at 12:05 pm
Old Mar 30, 2022, 12:37 pm

OK, I've talked with a very unknowledgeable KLM agent (the kind that has the rooster cawing in the background); all she did was read off from the website, which I did as well, but it still is not clear to me - or at least as clear as needed that I would expect the gatekeeper agent to fully be able to figure out, which is the most important link in this whole situation.

Does anyone know of a good E-mail address that way I can get my question answered, and also if the gatekeeper doesn't perform properly, I could tell xer to call XXX at KLM.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by swampwiz
OK, I've talked with a very unknowledgeable KLM agent (the kind that has the rooster cawing in the background); all she did was read off from the website, which I did as well, but it still is not clear to me - or at least as clear as needed that I would expect the gatekeeper agent to fully be able to figure out, which is the most important link in this whole situation.
Does anyone know of a good E-mail address that way I can get my question answered, and also if the gatekeeper doesn't perform properly, I could tell xer to call XXX at KLM.
Even if you can reach XXX at KLM right now, that will not do you any good when you are unable to reach them again at the airport (which you almost certainly will not be able to). Plus the office staff handling the customer service is usually completely disconnected from the gate staff, and they will have completely different responsibilities and protocols to follow. The airport staff will be infinitely more well-versed on the matters that they deal with every day, including your situation, and they will not really care what someone on the phone told you. Your safest bet would be to head to the airport early and speak with the people who will be making the decision. But even then, the people at the airport today may not be the people there tomorrow, so early means same day as the flight. If I were you, I would just take the test as early as possible and be done with it (BinaxNow will give you a digital cert that you can provide to the airline). This is a lot of trouble to try and exploit a technicality that really has nothing to do with your situation, especially given that you already have the test in your possession.
NWIFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 12:46 am

I was surprised that the CDC lowered the risk category for cruises today. I am somewhat hopeful that this portends a similar change wrt testing, but who knows. I would hope that we would have an announcement one way or another by the end of next week (or maybe Monday the 11th) given that more than a week's notice was given before the last extension.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:22 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Heathrow HALO- LAMP/NAAT test

Hi,
Just wanted to report back my experience with the HALO/LAMP test - both me and my travel companion did this test and we will NEVER do this again. Main reason was the sensitivity of the test. Mine was fine, but my travel companion's sample was rejected. We followed the rules of not eating/drinking 30 mins before testing.
In the end, luckily we managed to get a slot for the usual Rapid Antigen test at T3 the next morning before our 11am flight.

All in all, really do not see the difference between this LAMP test and the Rapid Antigen test (offered by HALO) - yes I understand LAMP is sent to a lab, but during the sample taking, there's no supervision, so how is that even in a controlled environment. They can also just offer the Rapid Antigen test with the person on duty supervising the test and therefore making it valid.
Wasted the $$ for this LAMP/NAAT test.

Cheers!
Old Mar 31, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Daedalus7
I was surprised that the CDC lowered the risk category for cruises today. I am somewhat hopeful that this portends a similar change wrt testing, but who knows. I would hope that we would have an announcement one way or another by the end of next week (or maybe Monday the 11th) given that more than a week's notice was given before the last extension.
This is a good point, and something I thought of when I saw it. Other things I've noticed that could portend positive news on this front are: 1) the Senate voted on a (somewhat) bipartisan basis to end the mask mandate. This will never come to a vote in the House, Biden would veto it if it passed, and this will likely end before the legislative process completed, but it does increase the political pressure on the White House to drop it; 2) There have been numerous articles the past couple of days about the White House dropping the Title 42 immigration restrictions (allowing illegal immigrants to be expelled quickly at the southern border under the public health emergency). I think it would be difficult for the administration to justify keeping the international testing rule if these rules were dropped; 3) Fauci emerged from hiding to give an interview that contained two interesting tidbits. First, he said that we could be at the end of the emergency. Second, he said he was thinking about retiring. IMO, all of these point to the international testing rule (and the mask mandate, for those who are interested in that) being ended fairly soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.