Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by michael1023
i can't imagine literally "walking" across the border, right?
Google "CBX". It's a footbridge from Tijuana Airport into the US. Only arriving passengers can pay (~$15) to use. Land border rules apply.
SamirD and michael1023 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 6:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by michael1023
in my situation in a few weeks, if i needed to do this, i would have to fly from GYE to Quito, then the Mexico City(no negative Covid test needed), then to Tijuana. and i guess take a taxi across the border to san diego airport? i can't imagine literally "walking" across the border, right?
Yes, you walk across the border. Check for a thread about CBX in the Mexico forum. There is a bridge from the Tijuana Airport to the US. It costs $18 or so. If you were leaving Tijuana from the US side, you would check in at the counters on the US side, then walk across the bridge to the airport.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Yes, you walk across the border. Check for a thread about CBX in the Mexico forum. There is a bridge from the Tijuana Airport to the US. It costs $18 or so. If you were leaving Tijuana from the US side, you would check in at the counters on the US side, then walk across the bridge to the airport.
When did they start charging to cross the border? Last time I crossed at Otay Mesa and Tijuana was 2005 - but there was never a charge to cross by car or walking.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
When did they start charging to cross the border? Last time I crossed at Otay Mesa and Tijuana was 2005 - but there was never a charge to cross by car or walking.
The 18$ Charge is specific to Cross Border Xpress (CBX).
SanDiego1K and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
The bridge had been proposed for decades and finally came to fruition just in the past few years. The businessman spent US$120M to build it. Only TIJ air passengers can access it. And TIJ passenger throughput almost doubled following the bridge's opening.
SanDiego1K and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
It has NOTHING to do with standard CBP land border crossings, it is a way for passengers in the US to utilize TIJ airport and TIJ arriving passengers to enter the US. CBX REQUIRES a valid airline booking either outbound or inbound to use the facility. It is a private operated facility where the operator is paying for CBP agents to be present. You can still catch a cap to the Otay Mesa crossing and walk over for free. That's ~ 40 min if lucky. This CBX facility is 5 min and you are across.

Side note; this allows lots of us in So Cal (Orange County and SD County specifically) to get a wider selection of Mexican Domestic flights which are non-existent from SAN and limited from SNA while giving us a way to avoid the border crossing challenges.
SanDiego1K, HkCaGu, SamirD and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere but multiple searches failed to provide a definitive answer to the following questions:

If a traveler has recovered from Covid-19 in the past 30 days, can the "recovered from Covid 19" page and QR code found within the UK's NHS app act as the "letter from a licensed healthcare provider" that the US entry rules say is required to visit without having to give evidence of a negative Covid test? If not, what are UK residents who have recovered from Covid using to travel to the US?

TIA for any insights.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Where can you get a PCR test result within 24 hours? I mean is it possible at YYZ or YUL?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Where can you get a PCR test result within 24 hours? I mean is it possible at YYZ or YUL?
you don’t need PCR can be antigen
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 5:59 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Mileometer
If a traveler has recovered from Covid-19 in the past 30 days, can the "recovered from Covid 19" page and QR code found within the UK's NHS app act as the "letter from a licensed healthcare provider" that the US entry rules say is required to visit without having to give evidence of a negative Covid test? If not, what are UK residents who have recovered from Covid using to travel to the US?
We received an email yesterday from the US Embassy in Oman addressing this issue.

If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country, and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

But on rereading your post, I'm not sure that adds clarity.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So the antigen doesn’t detect the Omicron strain right?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
So the antigen doesn’t detect the Omicron strain right?
only certain pcr tests can distinguish omicron strain from other strains, not all

antigen tests cannot distinguish

but both antigen and pcr tests can detect the presence of coronavirus, including omicron strains
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:55 pm

Just a reaffirmation

Flying LH TBS-MUC-FRA-ATL (US citizen, triple vaxed, BinaxNOW proctored test)

Day before flight to MUC BinaxNOW test (will probably do it mid-evening as we have a 5am flight next morning).

TBS-MUC (0500-0700) then 4 hour layover. FRA-MUC (1100-1200).

Have a 22 hour (noon-10am the next day) layover in FRA......Still so far so good (but will probably take another BinaxNOW test that evening just in case).

10AM flight next day to ATL.

The way I'm reading everything I'm good to go with that original test the day before leaving Tbilisi.

In the words of Jack Swigert on Apollo 13, can someone check my math. I think we're good (better by doing another test in FRA, bust just making sure).

I do appreciate it, thanks.

CJ
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Flying LH TBS-MUC-FRA-ATL (US citizen, triple vaxed, BinaxNOW proctored test)

Day before flight to MUC BinaxNOW test (will probably do it mid-evening as we have a 5am flight next morning).

TBS-MUC (0500-0700) then 4 hour layover. FRA-MUC (1100-1200).

Have a 22 hour (noon-10am the next day) layover in FRA......Still so far so good (but will probably take another BinaxNOW test that evening just in case).

10AM flight next day to ATL.

The way I'm reading everything I'm good to go with that original test the day before leaving Tbilisi.

In the words of Jack Swigert on Apollo 13, can someone check my math. I think we're good (better by doing another test in FRA, bust just making sure).

I do appreciate it, thanks.

CJ
if flight to ATL is day N, then test needs to be done on day N-1 and not anytime earlier in order to enter US. even if your 22h didnt break the itinerary on paper, you are best to assume it does
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
if flight to ATL is day N, then test needs to be done on day N-1 and not anytime earlier in order to enter US. even if your 22h didnt break the itinerary on paper, you are best to assume it does
If that's the case, even though I'm on 1 PNR with just one long connection, will I even be allowed to board in TBS? Day N-1 I will already have left Tbilisi.

I'm going by this note on the CDC FAQ's about connecting flights. We'll be fine. LH has only 1 flight a day from FRA to ATL that leaves before we get to FRA on our transit day.

Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability
84fiero and SamirD like this.

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Dec 6, 2021 at 7:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.