Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SEAFlyer23
Might be in a bit of a bind here:

I'm in London for work and take the 1:10 flight back to the US tomorrow.

I have a 40 minute lft test scheduled at Heathrow for 10:30. Results guaranteed by 11:10. I figured this would be more than enough time since I'm not checking a bag.

But I just looked in verifly and they said "upload negative covid test AT LEAST 4 hours before departure". Are they actually strict about this? I don't want to run into any trouble but also don't have many options for a Sunday AM covid test, unless anyone can recommend one.

Would really appreciate any help you all can give. Thanks!
I can’t say I know what “verifly” is but I have from time to time seen directives to add name, address, passport number etc to booking to bookings to the USA 72 hours before the flight and I’ve never heard of it being strictly required or anyone being denied boarding for not doing this.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I can’t say I know what “verifly” is but I have from time to time seen directives to add name, address, passport number etc to booking to bookings to the USA 72 hours before the flight and I’ve never heard of it being strictly required or anyone being denied boarding for not doing this.
Verifly is the app that American Airlines uses to check flight requirements. You upload your test results and vaccination information into the app, the company checks it over, and it generates a QR code that you can show to the counter when checking in or it should let you check in online.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah

Lol I think people are so used to thinking singularly these days (everything must be done online) that they forget that there are still a lot of people out there that are either technologically-challenged or never check in online for various reasons (no internet connection prior, no smart phone, dont want to or dont care to or forget, etc)
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
If that's the case, even though I'm on 1 PNR with just one long connection, will I even be allowed to board in TBS? Day N-1 I will already have left Tbilisi.

I'm going by this note on the CDC FAQ's about connecting flights. We'll be fine. LH has only 1 flight a day from FRA to ATL that leaves before we get to FRA on our transit day.

Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability
yes I am aware of the bolded and also aware how things may go wrong with some agents.

btw you dont really need binax test for your first two legs if germany doesnt require it and if you tell the agent you will take the test while in germany. you are unlikely to receive the boarding pass to atl at your first airport because the flight is still too far out .
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I am planning to fly to NRT via ORD. Flying from YYZ to ORD or New York to NRT and then to BKK. I am fully vaccinated and would need a PCR to fly to BKK. Do I also need the antigen test to fly via USA to NRT and then to BKK?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
btw you dont really need binax test for your first two legs if germany doesnt require it and if you tell the agent you will take the test while in germany. you are unlikely to receive the boarding pass to atl at your first airport because the flight is still too far out .
I thought as much, and we both got the CovPass when we were in Berlin in September and October, but as our itinerary is to the US won't they ask for the covid test at initial check-in?

Will telling the agent I'll test in MUC/FRA raise eyebrows?

If not, that just makes it easier the next morning. Was concerned they'd want to see the test for US entry.

Thanks for the insight.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Dec 6, 2021 at 3:04 pm
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
I thought as much, and we both got the CovPass when we were in Berlin in September and October, but as our itinerary is to the US won't they ask for the covid test at initial check-in?

Will telling the agent I'll test in MUC/FRA raise eyebrows?

If not, that just makes it easier the next morning. Was concerned they'd want to see the test for US entry.

Thanks for the insight.
personally, I have never need to do something like that but I dont see why it is a problem. if you dont show covid test proof, the agent at the first airport will just not issue you the fra-atl boarding pass (and you wont get the BP until you show proof). you are overnighting in germany afterall. just use the one day requirement excuse and explain to them that you wont be able to fulfill it if test too early.

this also means your bags cant be tagged to final destination.

there are people flying in single itinerary with final destination to US, but have multiple layovers / stopovers. for example, those on RTW tickets. yours is a layover but a very long one.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by friedablass
Which means you took a test for nothing and need to repeat it which I am absolutely not planning to do (hopefully!). One is more than enough for me. I'm doing an antigen test so I will wait patiently for Monday morning.
If your test results report show you have tested more than one day before, even uploading it Monday won't help. And it's probably why they haven't updated the app because everyone should be uploading 1 day before even if uploading earlier is possible.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Where can you get a PCR test result within 24 hours? I mean is it possible at YYZ or YUL?
YYZ has it possible here as I asked my sister-in-law who lives there about it recently: https://covidtraveltestgta.ca/
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by SEAFlyer23
Might be in a bit of a bind here:

I'm in London for work and take the 1:10 flight back to the US tomorrow.

I have a 40 minute lft test scheduled at Heathrow for 10:30. Results guaranteed by 11:10. I figured this would be more than enough time since I'm not checking a bag.

But I just looked in verifly and they said "upload negative covid test AT LEAST 4 hours before departure". Are they actually strict about this? I don't want to run into any trouble but also don't have many options for a Sunday AM covid test, unless anyone can recommend one.

Would really appreciate any help you all can give. Thanks!
So I appreciate that this is probably too late for your specific case SEAFlyer23 but you don't have to use VeriFLY - it's not mandatory. There'd be nothing to stop you checking in at a check-in desk at the airport. You could simply show the AA agent your negative test results. VeriFLY is essentially a way of outsourcing the review of the testing and attestation requirements. I have found that even when I have uploaded the requisite documents to VeriFLY that I still need to check in at the airport, mainly due to mixed carrier flights and / or passport checks. Agents like VeriFLY because it allows them to see at a glance that people are cleared to fly from a COVID testing perspective. It saves considerable time in terms of reviewing paperwork, ensuring that what's presented is in fact valid for the eventual destination and any transit stops en route. That said, it's not mandatory. While waiting at the gate at LAX for a flight to LHR back in August there were literally dozens of people with either digital or paper copies of the relevant paperwork being scrutinised by the gate agents. None of these passengers used VeriFLY but had all checked in and were at the gate.

Please, for the benefit of others, can you report back here on how your experience was? It would be a useful reference point for anyone else with the same query.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:12 pm

I guess the confusion and all this uncertainty is making me think even if I have to pay an extra 1K it may be better to avoid the US and fly from Canada to BKK via SEL.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by SamirD
If your test results report show you have tested more than one day before, even uploading it Monday won't help. And it's probably why they haven't updated the app because everyone should be uploading 1 day before even if uploading earlier is possible.
Yes of course I understood that and was waiting to take the test within 1 day, not just to do the upload. They actually sent an SMS late Saturday night with the new updated rules. I didn't check the app to see if it was updated there as well to block the upload prior to 1 day but I'm assuming they did.

I did the emed test and it was an easy painless process.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:36 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Traveling from MLE to JFK with the following itinerary on Emirates

MLE to CMB 16:20-18:20 Dec 20 Layover 8 hrs 35 mins
CMB to DXB 2:55- 5:55 Dec 21 Layover 3 hrs 10 mins
DXB to JFK 9:05-19:00 Dec 21 with a stop in MXP

Would the Binax test on Dec 19 at the resort work to travel all the way to JFK or do we need to re-test along the way?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Moflav
Traveling from MLE to JFK with the following itinerary on Emirates

MLE to CMB 16:20-18:20 Dec 20 Layover 8 hrs 35 mins
CMB to DXB 2:55- 5:55 Dec 21 Layover 3 hrs 10 mins
DXB to JFK 9:05-19:00 Dec 21 with a stop in MXP

Would the Binax test on Dec 19 at the resort work to travel all the way to JFK or do we need to re-test along the way?
Why don't you speak with EK in MLE and get a direct flight to DXB? That would negate going via CMB. They can do that if they have seats. have done so in the past.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:48 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Davvidd
Why don't you speak with EK in MLE and get a direct flight to DXB? That would negate going via CMB. They can do that if they have seats. have done so in the past.
That would be awesome but since the flights are award tickets using AS points, I doubt that would happen
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.