Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
FWIW, they must have gotten a lot of complaints about the expiry dates. The eMed website now has the fllowing disclaimer on the page that sells the tests:

SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
FWIW, they must have gotten a lot of complaints about the expiry dates. The eMed website now has the fllowing disclaimer on the page that sells the tests:

For some reason the Muppet Show music appeared in my head...
Xyzzy, enviroian and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hello! Have a flight from LHR-MIA on 26th December at 14:15. In terms of booking up a test for the US, clearly no where is open on the 25th December, so test will have to be taken on the morning of 26th December. Currently, am able to book up a Rapid Antigen test at the Regenerative Clinic in Marylebone first thing on the 26th, but are there options closer to Heathrow that I can use instead? Looks like the test site at the Marriot Hotel isn't open on the 26th

thanks for your help!
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JMac82
Hello! Have a flight from LHR-MIA on 26th December at 14:15. In terms of booking up a test for the US, clearly no where is open on the 25th December,
I'm surprised there's nowhere in London to get the test on the 25th. Even in Las Vegas we have at least one small private hospital that offers 24/7 COVID tests, which I assume includes holidays, because hospitals don't close. Pharmacies are open on Christmas too here I think. I'm surprised there's nowhere in London.
SamirD and cemlaw like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello! Have a flight from LHR-MIA on 26th December at 14:15. In terms of booking up a test for the US, clearly no where is open on the 25th December, so test will have to be taken on the morning of 26th December. Currently, am able to book up a Rapid Antigen test at the Regenerative Clinic in Marylebone first thing on the 26th, but are there options closer to Heathrow that I can use instead? Looks like the test site at the Marriot Hotel isn't open on the 26th

thanks for your help!
Can't you book a video one for that date?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
what I was thinking too.

I would have Qured mail you a test. Don't contact Emed though. They might send you a test made in 2010
SamirD and cemlaw like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
what I was thinking too.

I would have Qured mail you a test. Don't contact Emed though. They might send you a test made in 2010
I used Qured the other week. Video call was supervised by someone in the Philipines. Very slick in my experience and there are always discount codes for them it seems.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used Qured the other week. Video call was supervised by someone in the Philipines. Very slick in my experience and there are always discount codes for them it seems.
I ordered one a week ago and it was shipped to my moms house in the UK. I'll be using this test to get back home to the US on 12/28.
Silver Fox, SamirD and JMac82 like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
what I was thinking too.

Thank you for all the suggestions! Does Qured work with the US though? I thought tests had to be taken in person? Or does the video call in person by-pass that requirement?
Silver Fox and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for all the suggestions! Does Qured work with the US though? I thought tests had to be taken in person? Or does the video call in person by-pass that requirement?
Yes it's a video call/proctored (rapid) test. It's good for US entry. It better be as my mom has a lifespan of me for only 8 days and fires me out of her house.
SamirD, cemlaw and JMac82 like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

thanks for your help!
We're taking tests at LHR on arrival n December 25th -- Expresstest will be open. But for coming to the US a monitored antigen test is all that's required. As others have noted, you can do some of them at home.
SamirD and JMac82 like this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that is what I used it for.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Unfortunately, have a quite complicated journey planned from Europe to the USA:

1 Jan night: CDG-LHR on AF one-way arriving around 9:30pm
2 Jan morning: LHR-CDG on BA one-way departing around 8:30am
2 Jan afternoon: CDG-LHR-JFK on BA as first half of an ex-EU roundtrip

How can I minimize the number of tests and costs for what I'd need to do? Can a departure test from France to UK serve also as the requisite test for France>UK-USA?

Complicating matters is that:
1st Jan is a Saturday
AF from CDG arrives late to LHR that night
2nd Jan is a Sunday
the first flight LHR-CDG leaves early which means not much or any time to test and get results beforehand!
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by FlyToLive
I also bought tests with these dates in June and am pretty annoyed. But if you think that's bad, my brother and his wife got a six pack in late September with these same dates! Can't even use some of them for their Christmas trip and they bought them less than 3 months before! Ridiculous.

Someone I know recently ordered from them and got tested labeled for expiration in October 2022 but someone else who ordered shortly after that got tested labeled November 2021 (so actually expire February 2022). Has anyone ordered recently? If so, when did you order, from eMed or Optum, and what expiration did you get?
I bought from Optum end of October and got only 2 weeks later expiration than you did (expiring next week with the 3 months extension)! I was really upset.

From where did that person get tests with 10/2022 expirations? That's what I'd like to buy now.

Originally Posted by Xyzzy

This had been up there for awhile, at least since the beginning of November because I've been wanting to buy tests with later expiration so I keep periodically checking to see if they're already shipping newer tests.

Actually before this message with the February expiration, they had the same message but with December 2021 instead.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 7:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, UA Premier Platinum

thanks for your help!
Express Test in T5 departures is open from 8am on the 25th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.