Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2021, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
For me at least the 1 vs 3 day is that I take a lot of weekend trips so I use my outbound Covid test to also cover my inbound. Then I don’t have to worry about not getting back!
Old Dec 27, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by friedablass

Although the testing requirement might change our be removed, somehow I don't see them letting the mask mandate just expire after spring break. It has continually been extended and I would be just fine if they didn't extend it this time, but I'm not seeing it happen. I'll be happy if I'm wrong.
Eh, they aren't keeping it forever and the airlines have pretty solid statistics behind them saying that, for better or worse, the mandate and enforcement of the mandate is causing a lot of the passenger behavior incidents. I'm perfectly fine with it and my wife and I have discussed the possibility that we'll potentially keep masking in the future, especially during cold and flu season, but I think all the stake holders know it has to go away at some point. As it is, both the US and Canada have only extended their regulations until March, which coincides with such and also with the usual decline in airborne virus cases.

Originally Posted by enviroian
For me at least the 1 vs 3 day is that I take a lot of weekend trips so I use my outbound Covid test to also cover my inbound. Then I don’t have to worry about not getting back!
Yeah, it is a real pity they did this. Indeed, it may well have been to target folks like you, unfortunately..
enviroian, friedablass and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It's nt terribly difficult to get an antigen test the day before departure.
It's not terribly difficult if you're in Mexico or the Caribbean or a place that has regular direct flights to the USA.

It is difficult in some countries where rapid tests aren't widely used. since PCR tests are far more commonly required to travel to countries other than the USA.

Originally Posted by N1120A
I don't consider being vaccinated (and boosted) to be an inconvenience.

I think the test requirement will go away for the vaccinated after the spring break travel season, which is also when the mask mandate on transportation currently expires in the US and Canada.

​​
The chance of the USA's mask mandate on transportation ending in the next 18 months is exactly zero.
friedablass and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 10:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Does anyone here think Biden will put the test requirement back to T-3 days?
It could go to 3 calendar days with PCR tests while it remains at 1 calendar day for antigen tests. Would that count as putting "the test requirement back to T-3 days"? I would say "it depends".
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
A friend tested positive with an at-home self test kit last week. Very light initial symptoms which cleared within two days but she took the test and so much for holiday plans (she retested using a different product a day later and same result).

She plans to go to Dubai in February but is worried that PCR tests may show her positive for a long time. All I can find online is that "some people" may test positive with PCR tests for up to three months after infection. Just curious if that is common and if this will be an issue. She doesn't have any documentation of this Covid infection - I suppose she could go out and get a PCR test but that seemed unnecessary given her self-isolation. She's just worried that somehow once there she might be selected for a random PCR test and then be stuck overseas (the current US requirement for an antigen test for readmission shouldn't be an issue). Any thoughts on whether her worries are potential issues or decently remote as to not be an issue?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by learnedpaw
A friend tested positive with an at-home self test kit last week. Very light initial symptoms which cleared within two days but she took the test and so much for holiday plans (she retested using a different product a day later and same result).

She plans to go to Dubai in February but is worried that PCR tests may show her positive for a long time. All I can find online is that "some people" may test positive with PCR tests for up to three months after infection. Just curious if that is common and if this will be an issue. She doesn't have any documentation of this Covid infection - I suppose she could go out and get a PCR test but that seemed unnecessary given her self-isolation. She's just worried that somehow once there she might be selected for a random PCR test and then be stuck overseas (the current US requirement for an antigen test for readmission shouldn't be an issue). Any thoughts on whether her worries are potential issues or decently remote as to not be an issue?
She's going to need a PCR to get on the plane to go to Dubai anyway. So she should take a PCR test in a couple of weeks towards the end of January and see what happens. She will most likely test negative at its not very common to test positive more that 2 or 3 weeks post infection. Like they say, it "may" happen but it hopefully won't.
learnedpaw and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
She's going to need a PCR to get on the plane to go to Dubai anyway. So she should take a PCR test in a couple of weeks towards the end of January and see what happens.
Yes.

Some international travelers to DXB take two PCR tests on the same day. I think it's done to make sure the test results come back on time or perhaps to see if there appears to be a discrepancy between the results.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Hi folks can I just double check the requirements for my trip?

I have an Edinburgh to NYC trip:
Day one: Edinburgh to Heathrow, then a long overnight, over 12 but under 24 hours.
Day two: Afternoon flight to NYC.

Does the one day rule kick in:
a) the day before the first flight on my itinerary.
b) 24 hrs before the first flight on my itinerary.
c) the day before my flight to the US.
d) 24 hrs before my flight to the US.

I’ve read a lot (not all) the posts here and my mind reads things differently every time!

Thanks for your help in advance.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by EDIwanderer
Hi folks can I just double check the requirements for my trip?

I have an Edinburgh to NYC trip:
Day one: Edinburgh to Heathrow, then a long overnight, over 12 but under 24 hours.
Day two: Afternoon flight to NYC.

Does the one day rule kick in:
a) the day before the first flight on my itinerary.
b) 24 hrs before the first flight on my itinerary.
c) the day before my flight to the US.
d) 24 hrs before my flight to the US.

I’ve read a lot (not all) the posts here and my mind reads things differently every time!

Thanks for your help in advance.
If this is 1 PNR then the answer is #1.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
If this is 1 PNR then the answer is #1.
The speedy reply is much appreciated! 👍🏻
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It could go to 3 calendar days with PCR tests while it remains at 1 calendar day for antigen tests. Would that count as putting "the test requirement back to T-3 days"? I would say "it depends".
I have no problem with that. I took a rapid PCR test last week to get here ( I had an appointment with Walgreens for an NOW test but when I pulled up at my scheduled time the clerk said “sorry our printer broke so we can’t do testing today” I went to a local ER clinic) and it was still free and got it in four hours.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 1:03 pm

I have no problem with that. I took a rapid PCR test last week to get here ( I had an appointment with Walgreens for an NOW test but when I pulled up at my scheduled time the clerk said “sorry our printer broke so we can’t do testing today” I went to a local ER clinic) and it was still free and got it in four hours.
I wonder why they need a printer. The tests I've taken have reported results by email.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
I wonder why they need a printer. The tests I've taken have reported results by email.
I don’t think it was results related but test package preparation. Either way I’m like “thanks”.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:04 pm

https://abc7ny.com/covid-quarantine-...date/11394395/

this is coming across the news wire

can anyone confirm this would also apply to international travel? 5 days would help a lot. I don’t see why not.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by michael1023
https://abc7ny.com/covid-quarantine-...date/11394395/

this is coming across the news wire

can anyone confirm this would also apply to international travel? 5 days would help a lot. I don’t see why not.
When you say international travel, do you mean testing positive while in another country? Every country has their own policy regarding testing positive for Covid and you would be subject to whatever that is; as the CDC doesn't have jurisdiction outside the US. Some may follow the CDC recommendations and lower the quarantine period, but they don't have to. Most adhere to whatever their own Health Ministry recommends.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.