Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by jphripjah
It's not terribly difficult if you're in Mexico or the Caribbean or a place that has regular direct flights to the USA.

It is difficult in some countries where rapid tests aren't widely used. since PCR tests are far more commonly required to travel to countries other than the USA.

The chance of the USA's mask mandate on transportation ending in the next 18 months is exactly zero.
Antigen tests have increased significantly in usage for travel to advanced Western countries, with Canada being the primary notable exception. They are in widespread use in Europe, both for travel and, increasingly, for use for unvaccinated persons to be able to participate in society.

On the mandate, I think your 18 month timeframe is way outside what it will be. The airlines have already started pushing back softly and the FAA's own numbers on incidents are pretty hard to ignore. I don't disagree that continuing the mandate is probably the best idea, but I also think it will last that long.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by friedablass
She's going to need a PCR to get on the plane to go to Dubai anyway. So she should take a PCR test in a couple of weeks towards the end of January and see what happens. She will most likely test negative at its not very common to test positive more that 2 or 3 weeks post infection. Like they say, it "may" happen but it hopefully won't.
Thanks - I was thinking she could probably get a doctor to write up a note about a confirmed infection (which would then excuse the positive PCR test in February) but if that's only a remote possibility I think I'll advise her to take her chances. As things stand now she won't need a PCR to get back to the USA so not being able to go is a lot less disruptive than not being able to get back.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:23 pm

Please help me out. I've been at a small guesthouse in the Caribbean for the past week and not online much.

Several guests returning to the states are frantic, saying the rules have changed to a test required within 24 hours of arrival into the states.

I can't find this any place. Isn't it still within one calender day of departure? Or have I completely missed an update?

Thanks!!!
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Please help me out. I've been at a small guesthouse in the Caribbean for the past week and not online much.

Several guests returning to the states are frantic, saying the rules have changed to a test required within 24 hours of arrival into the states.

I can't find this any place. Isn't it still within one calender day of departure? Or have I completely missed an update?

Thanks!!!
It's "Within one day," NT 24hrs ... official details here:

If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes

Thanks!!!
It is one calendar day prior to the departure flight to the US, not prior to arrival.
SamirD and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:43 pm

Just realized that even if you test positive and isolate for 5 days, the airlines attestation forms say if you tested positive within the last 10 days, they might not let you fly. Is it up to the check in agent? A supervisor at the airport? Even if you show your cleared to fly, maybe they will allow?
Xyzzy and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:18 pm

I wonder what 2022 will bring. I feel and hope that with the latest omi variant things are going to change for the better (but who knows). This variant is more contagious but less potent(at least as long as you are vax). Will 2022 be the year where you can travel internationally without any testing as long as you have a vax card (kind of like yellow fever vaccination certificate)? The virus will exist forever in some variant and continue to spread. We are allowed to go into restaurants, entertainment venues, etc... with only vax proof, no neg test.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Took my Qured proctored exam Monday morning for Tuesday LHR-DFW departure. No problem and easy to do. Connection was good with agent also. The test is pretty much 100% identical to the LFT's that are (or were rather) handed out free to UK citizens.
Silver Fox, SamirD and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by michael1023
Just realized that even if you test positive and isolate for 5 days, the airlines attestation forms say if you tested positive within the last 10 days, they might not let you fly. Is it up to the check in agent? A supervisor at the airport? Even if you show your cleared to fly, maybe they will allow?
the doctor's release letter for a positive test is usually only given after 7-10 days, i think 5 days is too soon.

i re-entered US recently and i wasnt given any attestation form to sign

i feel these forms are a hit-and-miss.

on another previous trip, i wasnt asked to sign but at the final transit point right before entering US, the airline agent must have realized something is missing, and i was called to the gate and asked to sign. but i was ssss on that trip so i think that may have prompted the check for this attestation form.

i dont know where all the signed forms go to - an underground vault?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Sorry guys, I thought it was expired already on the 6th and was going to be nice and do it for y'all, but it will actually expire next week. I'm not going anywhere either way so have no use for it but will need to wait until the expiration actually passes.
Ok so here are the results of my experiment. Test expiration printed on the box was 9/22/21 so with the 3 months extension = 12/22/21, a week ago.

As soon as the proctor came online the first thing she said was that I need to hold up the sticker that has the expiration date to the camera so she can check it. This is not something they asked me to do a few weeks ago. When she saw the expiration she asked me if I have another test so I said that I don't. She apologized that we wouldn't be able to complete the test and to connect back when I have a new unexpired test.

Originally Posted by SamirD
Hopefully we'll discover that the expiration date doesn't matter or is only spot checked--then it won't matter except for potential accuracy issues.
It seems that they are going to be checking the expirations for the near future. I would still use it as at an home self test if necessary but I'm not going to be able to use it for travel or anything else that needs verifiable results.
Silver Fox and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by michael1023
I'm guessing they'll modify now.

Ok so here are the results of my experiment. Test expiration printed on the box was 9/22/21 so with the 3 months extension = 12/22/21, a week ago.

As soon as the proctor came online the first thing she said was that I need to hold up the sticker that has the expiration date to the camera so she can check it. This is not something they asked me to do a few weeks ago. When she saw the expiration she asked me if I have another test so I said that I don't. She apologized that we wouldn't be able to complete the test and to connect back when I have a new unexpired test.

It seems that they are going to be checking the expirations for the near future. I would still use it as at an home self test if necessary but I'm not going to be able to use it for travel or anything else that needs verifiable results.
I believe eMed has published a list of expiration dates based on lot numbers.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 30, 2021 at 12:04 pm Reason: Redacted response to off-topic posts
Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:44 am

This is the same as my experience today. I have unexpired tests which I plan on using for my actual return next week. But I also carried a couple tests which expired Dec 28 and 29. I tried to do a proctored test an hour ago with a kit that expired on Dec 29 and it was rejected (it is morning of Dec 30). I used the expired kit as a self test so no big deal. But you will not be able to do proctored tests with expired kits. Btw the network check failed but everything was fine once I connected via a VPN.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 3:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I need a timeline check on a single PNR/ multi-city Itinerary, please.

Tuesday evening - 1st flight EU-EU
(10h overnight stay)
Wednesday early morning - flight EU-UK
(short layover)
Wednesday late morning - flight UK-US

Can I take the test any time on Monday, 1 day before the first flight for the booked itinerary?
The rules for connecting flights says
Please note, if you planned an itinerary incorporating one or more overnight stays en route to the US, you will need to make sure your test is not expired before your flight that will enter the US. You do not need to be retested if the itinerary requires an overnight connection because of limitations in flight availability.
How do you "measure" flights availability?
From my departure point there are 2 direct flights in the morning. Does this invalidate my itinerary - chosen because of the airline/alliance to fly with - and therefore do I need to take the test on Tuesday?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
I need a timeline check on a single PNR/ multi-city Itinerary, please.

Tuesday evening - 1st flight EU-EU
(10h overnight stay)
Wednesday early morning - flight EU-UK
(short layover)

Can I take the test any time on Monday, 1 day before the first flight for the booked itinerary?
The rules for connecting flights says

How do you "measure" flights availability?
From my departure point there are 2 direct flights in the morning. Does this invalidate my itinerary - chosen because of the airline/alliance to fly with - and therefore do I need to take the test on Tuesday?
the 1 day covid test timing is reset if EU2 has an earlier flight to UK but you choose not to take it.

generally the rule is in place to avoid people having flight itineraries with protracted layover or multiple layovers that are consistently 23hour59minutes or less and still insist they are eligible to use that same covid test taken a few days before to enter US. that is no different from someone who took a covid test T-5 instead of T-1 which renders the policy ineffective

Tuesday evening - 1st flight EU1-EU2
(10h overnight stay)
Wednesday early morning - flight EU2-UK
(short layover)
SamirD and Lefly like this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
the doctor's release letter for a positive test is usually only given after 7-10 days, i think 5 days is too soon.

i re-entered US recently and i wasnt given any attestation form to sign

i feel these forms are a hit-and-miss.

on another previous trip, i wasnt asked to sign but at the final transit point right before entering US, the airline agent must have realized something is missing, and i was called to the gate and asked to sign. but i was ssss on that trip so i think that may have prompted the check for this attestation form.

i dont know where all the signed forms go to - an underground vault?
even JetBlue now had updated their attestation forms in accordance with cdc guidelines. So hopefully after 5 days a doctor can sign off on being cleared to fly, after completed 5 day isolation (and no symptoms of course) see below
  • All travelers must complete a JetBlue health declaration during check-in, stating that you will not travel if you have any COVID-19 symptoms including a fever or have had symptoms or tested positive for COVID-19 up to 5 days prior to departure. We also ask that you don’t travel if you’ve had contact with anyone who tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 5 days unless you are fully vaccinated or boosted within the last 6 months or have fully recovered from COVID-19 within the past 3 months.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.