Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
How do you all usually present the test result? Email/website on your phone? Print-out of the results on the website?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Smiley90
How do you all usually present the test result? Email/website on your phone? Print-out of the results on the website?
I've always do print and multiple copies. The one time I did phone they had to have me email it to them, which was a pain.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:48 pm

I save the pdf on my phone and show that; it’s never been an issue.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:10 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by prof
I save the pdf on my phone and show that; it’s never been an issue.
Glad that has worked for you. I've traveled to places that work primarily in paper and having it in paper helps for that situation.
prof likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by salut0
Unfortunately, have a quite complicated journey planned from Europe to the USA:

1 Jan night: CDG-LHR on AF one-way arriving around 9:30pm
2 Jan morning: LHR-CDG on BA one-way departing around 8:30am
2 Jan afternoon: CDG-LHR-JFK on BA as first half of an ex-EU roundtrip
What's complicated about it? You take the test at CDG before your flight on the 1st and you are good to go.

I have similar flight this weekend and I'll take the flight on the 18th.
18th RZE-FRA
23 hours in Frankfurt
19th FRA-IAD
I'm doing the test at RZE airport before my flight (they have $40 antigen test in 20 minutes).
Departing RZE 11:30am. Then I have 23 hours in Frankfurt and departing for IAD at 11:40am.
cemlaw likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:10 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
I bought from Optum end of October and got only 2 weeks later expiration than you did (expiring next week with the 3 months extension)! I was really upset.

From where did that person get tests with 10/2022 expirations? That's what I'd like to buy now.
He got them from eMed, but another person who ordered on December 10 got tests that expire in February 2022 including the extension. So it seems to be inconsistent. I emailed eMed about this and finally got a response back:

Unfortunately, I don't have option to see if what will be the expiration date that you will be receiving when you place the order. Right now, we already have newer kits manufactured. Same kit that your friend received. You may try to order the kit, and when you received the kit that there's an issue with the expiration, you reach us through email or call eMed customer support at 866-955-1173.
So I think I'll probably just order and then call them if I get old ones.
friedablass, ExpatExp and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:11 am

We are leaving to France from IAH (houston) on December 26th at 2:25pm IAH-ORD and then ORD to CDG that night. We need a test within 48 hours of departure (I presume it's 48 from the first flight?). However, i can't find a place that will test on the 24th. The hospital outpatient clinic will be closed, no testing on 24th at CVS. Walgreens hasn't show dates yet for the 24th but I suspect it will be the same. Any suggestions what we can do? Will the tests through emed done online be valid for US to France? Will proctors be available on the 24th?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Delta Platinum, ST Elite+
Delta uses some site that lets you upload everything- either a digital copy or snap a pic with your phone. For Greece I was able to upload a pic of my CDC vaccine card and then a pdf from an email of my test results. I think there was also a locator form or attestation form which I also was able to upload.
I also had printed copies just in case, but checking in with Delta, everything was there and I didn't have to show anything physical to the airline at the check-in desk. In fact, the guy checking me in seemed relieved I had everything there already.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Delta Platinum, ST Elite+
Originally Posted by superflysocal
We are leaving to France from IAH (houston) on December 26th at 2:25pm IAH-ORD and then ORD to CDG that night. We need a test within 48 hours of departure (I presume it's 48 from the first flight?). However, i can't find a place that will test on the 24th. The hospital outpatient clinic will be closed, no testing on 24th at CVS. Walgreens hasn't show dates yet for the 24th but I suspect it will be the same. Any suggestions what we can do? Will the tests through emed done online be valid for US to France? Will proctors be available on the 24th?
I fly out of RDU on the 25th for Italy and CVS has appointments available for the 23rd (my testing date) and the 24th. Walgreens doesn't show their appointments that far out, but will absolutely test on the Christmas Eve. I just made my PCR test appointment at CVS yesterday in Raleigh and they had plenty of appointment times open on the 23rd and 24th. No idea why it would be any different in Houston?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 8:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cemlaw
I fly out of RDU on the 25th for Italy and CVS has appointments available for the 23rd (my testing date) and the 24th. Walgreens doesn't show their appointments that far out, but will absolutely test on the Christmas Eve. I just made my PCR test appointment at CVS yesterday in Raleigh and they had plenty of appointment times open on the 23rd and 24th. No idea why it would be any different in Houston?
Italy has tightened entry requirement with regard to testing. Something to keep in mind as what worked for entry yesterday may not work tomorrow.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: JB Mosaic 4, DL Diamond, Marriot Gold, National Executive Elite
What home tests kits are actually valid for re-entry to USA?

Looking for what test kits are valid for entry into the USA. There are far too many results in google to get a valid answer to this, so I am hoping to hear from people who have done this and what they used.

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by superflysocal
If an antigen test will do, eMed will work fine: they will email you a pdf of the lab report and that’s what you need. If France requires a PCR, however, eMed won’t work.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:52 am

There's only 3-4 valid ones, but the main thing that makes them "valid" is that the test must be done with a video-call doctor, not while sitting naked in your home while drinking wine. The most popular is Binax now with emed teledoc.

You can sometimes find these teledoc tests clearly marked valid for travel in cvs etc, but if you have 4-5 days you can order them online:
https://store.optum.com/shop/product...est-kit-3-pack (notice it clearly says telehealth)
https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...pack?hsLang=en (clearly mentions that when testing you talk to a doctor on video).

Remember, if your test is not done while a doctor is video-watching you, it is not valid for travel.

If you're in the UK, then https://patients.qured.com/shop/prod...ableLogin=true
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:12 pm

Can anyone recommend a testing centre near Heathrow T5 that would allow us to book a test and cancel if we decide not to fly/restrictions change? Or is it fairly safe to just book the day before we need it? Travelling to NYC in first week of January so trying to weigh up when to book all of our tests (and whether the trip is still worth it).
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:30 pm

Does anyone know if covidtestonline can be used for re-entry to US? It is video proctored and there are 2 options: a) kit+observation+certificate or b) bring your own kit (there is a list of approved tests) and just use the video observation and get the certificate.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.