Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by stupidhead
It's legal to fly on a domestic flight even if you are Covid+. Period.
This is incorrect. There are always attestations that one must commit perjury to fly if Covid+, which would be in violation of the airline carrier agreement.

One thing that may happen that wouldn't be the end of the world is if T1 negative tests are required for ALL flights with destinations in the US, international or domestic. That would cut down on the covid flyers (and problem flyers as well).
Old Jan 7, 2022, 3:35 pm

Negative test one day prior (similar to international inbounds) is unlikely to happen. There isn't enough testing infrastructure in many parts of the country to support this. I can find test sites easily where I am (DC metro), but when I visit family in western NY the usual providers like CVS etc only offer PCR and do not offer any rapid tests. There are some entities (similar to XpresCheck) which offer crazy expensive fast PCR mostly for travel to Canada. They also offer rapid tests which are also quite expensive. Rapid tests adminstered by trained personnel and covered by insurance is hard to access in many places.
LETTERBOY and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbandy
Negative test one day prior (similar to international inbounds) is unlikely to happen. There isn't enough testing infrastructure in many parts of the country to support this. I can find test sites easily where I am (DC metro), but when I visit family in western NY the usual providers like CVS etc only offer PCR and do not offer any rapid tests. There are some entities (similar to XpresCheck) which offer crazy expensive fast PCR mostly for travel to Canada. They also offer rapid tests which are also quite expensive. Rapid tests adminstered by trained personnel and covered by insurance is hard to access in many places.
While unlikely, it wouldn't be that tough actually as I've found rapid testing almost everywhere--even in the small towns where I have to go. RT-PCR is still tough for sure though. Insurance coverage is another thing, but you can always manually file a claim and get reimbursed.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by SamirD
This is incorrect. There are always attestations that one must commit perjury to fly if Covid+, which would be in violation of the airline carrier agreement.

One thing that may happen that wouldn't be the end of the world is if T1 negative tests are required for ALL flights with destinations in the US, international or domestic. That would cut down on the covid flyers (and problem flyers as well).
Wouldn't be the end of the world, it would just be a colossal waste of time, money and resources that would accomplish nothing. It's almost as if you work for a test manufacturer.

[mod edit]

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 7, 2022 at 5:59 pm Reason: Redacted OMNI comment
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:36 pm

Wouldn't be the end of the world, it would just be a colossal waste of time, money and resources that would accomplish nothing. It's almost as if you work for a test manufacturer.
I don't think it would be a waste of time. I don't work for a test manufacturer--I lost my dad to covid even after tremendous precautions to keep us away from all the covid zombies.

It would have been nice to ship everyone that didn't want to try to keep their fellow citizens safe to PR and other territories. Then at least my dad would still be here.

But as you mentioned, not much of a chance of required testing measures for domestic flights so let the 1M+ death toll pile on and on and on...

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 7, 2022 at 6:01 pm Reason: Confirm to edited version of quoted post
Old Jan 8, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I thought it has always been prohibited by the CoC of major US airlines to take a commercial flight if one has a communicable disease?
AsiaTraveler and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I thought it has always been prohibited by the CoC of major US airlines to take a commercial flight if one has a communicable disease?
Depends on the communicable disease.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Depends on the communicable disease.
Is Covid one of them?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
The US first started shutting down in March of 2020, and the vaccines weren't widely available until about a year later. Are you suggesting that everyone just sit in their houses for a year or more? That's insane.
It's not insane, it's a speed-bump in the rearview mirror of your life. People have wasted more than a year's time doing things that would not have contributed to saving lives, which is what people in that one year would have been doing. I did it and continue to do it. I don't understand how others cannot do it knowing that otherwise their actions can contribute to the death of another human being.

It's not like this is forever, which is what the 'new normal' and other memes have ingrained into people's heads--I'm very confident that this will all be gone at the end of 3 years as every other pandemic has in the past, even with the changes in time, technology, etc. And I told myself this from the onset in Jan of 2020 when my dad and I locked down hard. It's just setting your eyes on the goal and not being wavered, which anyone here earning status knows exactly how to do.
MileageAddict likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I wasn't talking about the land border entry - I was talking of using the land border entry combined with getting on TWO domestic flights with COVID to circumvent the "flights to the US" rule.
I would argue that US government forcing airlines to require tests from US nationals travelling to the US because the government itself can't legally require them is a loophole itself. So if combining flights + land border crossing is a loophole, it's only to circumvent loophole used by the government.

Governments should always set example when it comes to following the spirit of the law. If they don't, they can't expect citizens to do it either.

Last edited by the810; Jan 9, 2022 at 7:51 am
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by the810
I would argue that US government forcing airlines to require tests from US nationals travelling to the US because the government itself can't legally require them is a loophole itself. So if combining flights + land border crossing is a loophole, it's only to circumvent loophole used by the government.

Governments should always set example when it comes to following the spirit of the law. If they don't, they can't expect citizens to do it either.
Add to that the fact that current tests are unreliable, and every day you've got plenty of tourists flying to the US with false negative tests, and plenty of US citizens denied boarding due to false positive tests, by ground handling staff that are not US citizens.
friedablass, LETTERBOY and volabam like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by RedChili
Add to that the fact that current tests are unreliable, and every day you've got plenty of tourists flying to the US with false negative tests, and plenty of US citizens denied boarding due to false positive tests, by ground handling staff that are not US citizens.
Aside from a lot of unsourced claims, what does the citizenship of the ground handling staff have to do with.. anything?
RB211, ExpatExp, the810 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
data point from Mexico: unlike USA tests were available everywhere in Cancun - both antigen and PCR - all at a reasonable cost. By everywhere I mean booths every block in the hotel zone. Result are emailed within 15 minutes for antigen. Many hotels also have rooms set up to provide tests to guests.

At the airport the airline checks your test results then hands the papers back to you. That’s the end of it. Quick and easy.

Of course nobody asks any questions when you deplane in the USA as a negative test is not required to enter the country, only to board a plane that originated outside USA.

No one is advocating anything. It's legal to fly on a domestic flight even if you are Covid+. Period. People are free to do with that information whatever they wish.

Personally I'm reserving judgment on people who fly while Covid+. It's never been a concern for me anyway.
I’m not. Flying with covid is morally reprehensible. You could kill someone. A bit different than flying with the flu or a common cold. If you are so seriously ill that you need to fly for treatment elsewhere there is medevac insurance that covers special flights with proper safety protocols.

But we are delving into Omni territory.
SamirD and Smiley90 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:50 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Moderator note:

I’ve removed numerous posts for various reasons, including being overly personalized and off topic.
Please stick to the topic of this thread.

l etoile
forum moderator
chrisny2 and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
The within 1 day of departure requirement worked well for me just a few days ago. I got an antigen test in Denmark for free on my way to morning coffee on the day before departure, and upon arrival at SFO I merely had to look at a Global Entry face recognition stand for a second or two. That was about it. The wait at Kaiser for me to get a PCR test though is two weeks.
GUWonder and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.