Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I sometimes think that aliens could land today, with a device that instantly removes every trace of the COVID virus from the planet and cures everyone who is already infected...and it would still take the US 3 months to drop the testing and vaccination entry requirements! lol
Your comment also raises the question whether the testing requirement applies if you arrive via spaceship.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:19 am

Is Klarity acceptable for US travel?

Has anybody used the "Standard Antigen Certificate" from Klarity to travel to the US from the UK? Is their certificate accepted for US travel? Link is here: https://klarity.health/klarity-uk/

I've used them before for travel to other destinations and found them super efficient, and I was thinking of using them again.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by tosaerba24
Has anybody used the "Standard Antigen Certificate" from Klarity to travel to the US from the UK? Is their certificate accepted for US travel? Link is here: https://klarity.health/klarity-uk/

I've used them before for travel to other destinations and found them super efficient, and I was thinking of using them again.
Yes, I used their lowest priced one, I thought it was called basic, if you trawl this thread there is a link that makes it 8.95 for Turkish Air I think....

ETA: This is the link, scroll down to find basic for £8.95

https://klarity.health/turkish-airlines-uk/
flyertalker0013223 and SamirD like this.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Jan 26, 2022 at 9:27 am
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Yes, I used their lowest priced one, I thought it was called basic, if you trawl this thread there is a link that makes it 8.95 for Turkish Air I think....

ETA: This is the link, scroll down to find basic for £8.95

https://klarity.health/turkish-airlines-uk/
Thank you! Is the basic certificate the same as the standard one? Because technically the CDC/US regulations require you to be supervised while taking the test...
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! Is the basic certificate the same as the standard one? Because technically the CDC/US regulations require you to be supervised while taking the test...
I used the basic one to return from the US to the UK in December, nothing to do with the CDC, these are the rules for England and they have changed since my return: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:23 am

I used the basic one to return from the US to the UK in December, nothing to do with the CDC, these are the rules for England and they have changed since my return: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england
I need to go to the US, not to the UK
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:47 am

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I sometimes think that aliens could land today, with a device that instantly removes every trace of the COVID virus from the planet and cures everyone who is already infected...and it would still take the US 3 months to drop the testing and vaccination entry requirements! lol
And another 6 months after that before certain states and municipalities remove vaccine mandates for entry into businesses and participation in normal life activities.

But I digress ...
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:11 am

And that is indeed the question. I thought about using Klarity for US entry a couple of times, but have ended up using eMed/BinaxNOW video supervised testing. However, I suspect that the airlines, the ones performing the checks, may not be too picky.

rb211.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by RB211
However, I suspect that the airlines, the ones performing the checks, may not be too picky.
Unless somebody states otherwise, my personal assumption is that the certificate looks the same. I haven't seen anything that would contradict that.
RB211 and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh. Sorry, saw US to UK and was blinded! I used Qured video supervised to go from UK to the US. All went well.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:07 pm

Ugh. Sorry, saw US to UK and was blinded! I used Qured video supervised to go from UK to the US. All went well.
In which case I'll probably try with Qured. Do you or does anybody know if they offer supervision on Sundays? My flight is on a Monday morning. I know that Klarity are open 7 days a week until the evening.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
Your comment also raises the question whether the testing requirement applies if you arrive via spaceship.
Actually, astronauts have been regularly quarantining since the space race days, so I would say yes.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
In which case I'll probably try with Qured. Do you or does anybody know if they offer supervision on Sundays? My flight is on a Monday morning. I know that Klarity are open 7 days a week until the evening.
They are - what I see for this Sunday
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:20 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Overnight Connection Going to USA?

In a few weeks, I'm flying MAD-AMS-SLC all on one ticket. Fully vaxed and have CDC card.
I depart Madrid at 8pm and arrive into Amsterdam 11pm the same night. Next day, I depart Amsterdam to USA.

1. For my rapid antigen test, is "day before travel to the US," the day before I leave Madrid or the same day I leave Madrid (day before leaving AMS)?

2. Can exit Schiphol airport to sleep at a hotel?
SamirD and altabello like this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by Bowgie
In a few weeks, I'm flying MAD-AMS-SLC all on one ticket. Fully vaxed and have CDC card.
I depart Madrid at 8pm and arrive into Amsterdam 11pm the same night. Next day, I depart Amsterdam to USA.

1. For my rapid antigen test, is "day before travel to the US," the day before I leave Madrid or the same day I leave Madrid (day before leaving AMS)?

2. Can exit Schiphol airport to sleep at a hotel?
1. It's one calendar day before the first connecting flight, i.e. one calendar day before your Madrid departure at 8pm. Since it's all one ticket it will be checked at checkin. If you had two different tickets you could do the test one calendar day before the AMS-SLC leg.

2. Essentially MAD-AMS is treated as an intra-Schengen flight (the onward connecting flight doesn't matter in this case) so there is no quarantine requirement and you can exit the airport.
https://www.government.nl/topics/cor...ry/from-the-eu
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by gudugan; Feb 4, 2022 at 2:01 pm Reason: one calendar day not 24hr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.