Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by chrisny2
For US citizens, at this point - order Binax tests, get 100 percent reimbursement from your insurance - move on. It's so easy!
works for most mainstream countries that US travelers find themselves in. namely, caribbean, europe, south america.

but not all countries.

eg Kenya is one example of mainstream countries where binax has not been well accepted and no serious safari travel companies will advise their US clients to use binax.
84fiero likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
It is not so easy if you're flying out from countries with spotty internet access. Yes, the majority of US travellers are from Europe/Mexico, but I'm concerned that when flying out of Sierra Leone next week I won't have good wifi for the binax test (which I did carry with myself), and there is no fast antigen testing available in the entire country, while the pcr test in the countries come at a steep cost and even then are not really guaranteed to get results within 24 hours (traveller reports usually say about 48 hours).

So at this point I'm praying that my hotel in Sierra Leone will have good wifi for my pcr test, otherwise I'll have to change my flight from going to the US to somewhere in Europe/UK instead (no test needed, just show vax), and once in Europe I can use the good wifi for binax.

So yeah, not easy at all if you're flying out of some remote island or country with spotty internet. This 1-day test requirement by the US has by far been the worst I've encountered while travelling across dozens of countries during covid. And with no benefit to show for it.
has SL start enforcing the need for TT code when exiting? some websites claimed it started Feb 1 but things are often different on the ground in Africa. if yes then only a local authorized test center will work
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Or just get a different internet connection in Sierra Leone.

People from around DC use the internet for video calling with relatives back in Sierra Leone every day. And there are even gamers from Sierra Leone who play online games that are best done with high-speed connections.

If one connection isn't good enough for the remotely proctored test, find a different connection in the country.
Sure, so like I said, its not as simple and easy and bringing out your binax and doing the test. For a traveller to go around the city trying to find a good connection could be simple but maybe not. Unless you pay a lot more for a nicer hotel etc. I'm not saying its impossible, its just a major hassle this 1-day test thing. For absolutely zero benefit to show for it in terms of US case counts.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Sure, so like I said, its not as simple and easy and bringing out your binax and doing the test. For a traveller to go around the city trying to find a good connection could be simple but maybe not. Unless you pay a lot more for a nicer hotel etc. I'm not saying its impossible, its just a major hassle this 1-day test thing. For absolutely zero benefit to show for it in terms of US case counts.
No offense, but that's pure conjecture. It's undeniable that we'd have more cases and deaths if we let everyone fly no matter their positive/negative status over the last two years. And frankly, the number of "international travelers staying in hotels in Sierra Leone" is incredibly, incredibly small to be affected in any significant way by this. The policy is what it is and will be until the calculus and priorities shift. As long as the American public by and large answers "Are you okay with letting international travelers return to the US without making sure they don't have COVID" with "Yes", it's unlikely to change/a low priority.

Discussion of its effectiveness always delves into OMNI/PR though, so let's just stick to the "what" and "when" and leave the "why" for OMNI/PR.
GUWonder and chrisny2 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by seawolf
Reimbursement is up to $12 per test not 100%. Anything above that is done because your insurance voluntarily offered it not because it is required.
That's incorrect. The Binax proctored tests are doctor-prescribed. (You don't actually talk to a doctor, but there is a prescription attached to each order in your emed account.) Accordingly, under the CARES Act, insurers must pay for them in full. This was the case long before the new provisions that came into affect this year regarding Over the Counter tests.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:19 pm

One reason for testing may be that it's easier to fake a CDC card than to fake a test result.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by richarddd
One reason for testing may be that it's easier to fake a CDC card than to fake a test result.
Which, itself, shows how pathetically incompetent all of this has been and continues to be.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
Which, itself, shows how pathetically incompetent all of this has been and continues to be.
The problem is that the US doesn't have a reliable way of determining of a person is actually vaccinated, unlike many other countries. The reason it doesn't is active opposition.

Also, both methods are more likely to reduce transmission than just one.
GUWonder and chrisny2 like this.

Last edited by richarddd; Mar 2, 2022 at 2:43 pm
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it's any easier or harder to fake a CDC card than test result. Test results are simple PDFs that could just as easily be generated.

The reasons for testing are: (1) catches some inbound cases and (2) vaccines can't be mandated for Americans returning, so they have always needed an alternative option.

I would be happy if they eliminated tests for vaccinated folks and kept them for unvaccinated, who are more likely to catch the virus and end up hospitalized if they do. Although, I'm sitting on a stack of eMed tests, so I guess they can keep the requirement in place for a while longer.
84fiero likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Doppy
The reasons for testing are: (1) catches some inbound cases and (2) vaccines can't be mandated for Americans returning, so they have always needed an alternative option.
Nah, it's just theater. Far more people cross by land, but no tests are required of such people.

I would be happy if they eliminated tests for vaccinated folks and kept them for unvaccinated, who are more likely to catch the virus and end up hospitalized if they do.
None of the above makes any sense. Why would it be okay for "vaccinated" people with Covid to fly, perhaps even symptomatic "vaccinated" Covid cases, but not unvaccinated? If the "vaccinated" are protected, why would it matter?
Silver Fox and Howmuch like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by js1993
Nah, it's just theater. Far more people cross by land, but no tests are required of such people.
I'm in favor of harmonizing the air and land rules.

None of the above makes any sense. Why would it be okay for "vaccinated" people with Covid to fly, perhaps even symptomatic "vaccinated" Covid cases, but not unvaccinated? If the "vaccinated" are protected, why would it matter?
The data is unequivocally clear that vaccinated people are way less likely to get covid than unvaccinated people (can't spread if you're not infected), and if they do get it, they are contagious for a shorter period of time. Vaccinated people are also less likely to end up in a hospital.

So vaccinated people are both less of a risk to others, and they are a less likely to be a burden on the healthcare system. Makes sense to me to treat lower risk people differently, just like precheck people get treated differently at security than others.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
The data is unequivocally clear that vaccinated people are way less likely to get covid ...
It's really not that clear, when we look at the Omicron wave, the numbers out of highly vaxxed Israel, etc., but leaving all of that aside, we know for a fact that millions of "fully vaccinated" people contracted Omicron, so it seems bizarre to propose exempting them from testing.

[Off-topic text edited by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 3, 2022 at 4:07 pm Reason: Off-topic discussion.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 4:17 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

Today, this thread has pivoted to off-topic arguments and discussion. Those posts have been edited or deleted.

Let's keep this FT thread useful for members trying to stay up on the latest testing requirements in order to fly, by keeping posts on topic.

Those eligible to join the OMNI/PR forum have ample FT resources to discuss political or more policy-minded aspects of Covid-19 and testing requirements. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Co-Moderator.
seawolf, EmailKid and SamirD like this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 3, 2022 at 4:23 pm
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:12 pm

Anyone with recent experience getting Antigen test in Madrid before returning to US? We are in Madrid for one day on Sunday and early Monday. Any open location, pharmacy, etc on Sunday and what is the procedure? Do we need any prior appt? Thanks.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC
I've tried to search the thread but can't seem to find confirmation for this. My reading of the rules says this should be ok, but wondering if anyone has any experience one way or the other. I am planning to get an approved antigen test during the day on Apr 4th. Then my trip starts from DUB on the evening of the 5th. Then I have an overnight in LHR before departure to JFK on the morning of the 6th. So will my antigen test taken on the 4th be ok as it's from the day before departure? (This is all on the same PNR btw). I'm going to stay the night of the 5th at airport hotel so I guess not a massive hassle to get another test on the evening of the 5th or even morning of the 6th. Would just be nice to plan for it rather than panicking and adding stress and cutting lounge time.
N830MH and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.