Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by sbandy
Does anyone know if covidtestonline can be used for re-entry to US? It is video proctored and there are 2 options: a) kit+observation+certificate or b) bring your own kit (there is a list of approved tests) and just use the video observation and get the certificate.
the two basic requirements for a CDC approved home test to enter US

- test kit needs to be FDA approved, received EUA or approved by national authority in the country where the test is administered

AND

- test needs to be video proctored

so you need to find out if the test is approved by German health authorities.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cemlaw
Delta uses some site that lets you upload everything- either a digital copy or snap a pic with your phone. For Greece I was able to upload a pic of my CDC vaccine card and then a pdf from an email of my test results. I think there was also a locator form or attestation form which I also was able to upload.
I also had printed copies just in case, but checking in with Delta, everything was there and I didn't have to show anything physical to the airline at the check-in desk. In fact, the guy checking me in seemed relieved I had everything there already.
United has the Travel Ready Center in their app where it only allows you to get your boarding pass after you complete all their requirements (scan passport, test upload, entry form, and I don't remember what else).

Once all is complete, you get a boarding pass that says in green "Travel Ready". All the agent at the check in desk looked at is your mobile boarding pass and makes sure it says Travel Ready. Since United reviews and approves everything beforehand you don't need to show anything at check in.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by friedablass; Dec 17, 2021 at 7:19 am
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by SamirD
I've always do print and multiple copies. The one time I did phone they had to have me email it to them, which was a pain.
Originally Posted by prof
I save the pdf on my phone and show that; it’s never been an issue.
Originally Posted by SamirD
Glad that has worked for you. I've traveled to places that work primarily in paper and having it in paper helps for that situation.
Thanks, I've printed out a very sketchy/unofficial looking website screenshot, just in case . The US I have their own review/QR tool and they accepted the screenshot I submitted online, so that should take care of it I hope.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Thanks, I've printed out a very sketchy/unofficial looking website screenshot, just in case . The US I have their own review/QR tool and they accepted the screenshot I submitted online, so that should take care of it I hope.
Yep, you should be good, and you have a back up in case.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
the two basic requirements for a CDC approved home test to enter US

- test kit needs to be FDA approved, received EUA or approved by national authority in the country where the test is administered

AND

- test needs to be video proctored

so you need to find out if the test is approved by German health authorities.
I would assume it is approved in Germany since the FAQ says the following (Google Translate).

Is the certificate equivalent to the one from a test center on site?

Yes, the certificate complies with European requirements and is equivalent to a certificate from a test center. You can also choose up to 3 languages ​​per certificate from over 20 languages.

A legal statement confirming the validity can be found here:

https://www.covidtestonline.de/guelt...se-zertifikate
Also

Is the certificate also recognized in Switzerland?

Outside of Germany, please check carefully whether the tests are recognized. In Switzerland in particular, there can be problems with recognition.

The test is recognized for trips back to Germany (status 10/2021).

A legal statement confirming the validity in Germany can be found here:

https://www.covidtestonline.de/guelt...se-zertifikate
So this seems it is valid for entering Germany. They do say for other countries check their requirements. The reason I ask is that it is much easier to pick up a box of approved tests while in Europe and not carry several Abbott BinaxNow. May be I will do both one day (Abbott and this outfit) but then again I do not want to shell out more money for this
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Make sure to order at least one more than you need, since sometimes tests are defective in one way or another and you will be left scrambling at the last minute to find an alternative (and generally very expensive) testing. Also leave lots of time in case the telehealth system is backed up and has a long wait (read some horror stories here: Issues re EMed/Abbot Binaxnow Navica Tests.)
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by friedablass
United has the Travel Ready Center in their app where it only allows you to get your boarding pass after you complete all their requirements (scan passport, test upload, entry form, and I don't remember what else).

Once all is complete, you get a boarding pass that says in green "Travel Ready". All the agent at the check in desk looked at is your mobile boarding pass and makes sure it says Travel Ready. Since United reviews and approves everything beforehand your don't need to show anything at check in.
In my case, SFO-LHR Sunday 12th, they wanted to see all the documentation too. I had it printed out so showed them that rather than trawl through the phone.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
In my case, SFO-LHR Sunday 12th, they wanted to see all the documentation too. I had it printed out so showed them that rather than trawl through the phone.
Same with me at SFO, but United had it figured out properly at LHR.
Silver Fox and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by greenchicken
Can anyone recommend a testing centre near Heathrow T5 that would allow us to book a test and cancel if we decide not to fly/restrictions change? Or is it fairly safe to just book the day before we need it? Travelling to NYC in first week of January so trying to weigh up when to book all of our tests (and whether the trip is still worth it).
I did a little research as I'm hoping to travel on 28/12. I couldn't find anyone who would let you cancel. So I've booked a Zoom one (from Collinson). If I don't travel it's only £30 odd down the drain. The alternative would be a non-bookable walk up at LHR, but a) I would have to arrive super early to ensure I have it before check in and b) I really don't want to find out at LHR that I've got the thing and have to turn round. As it seems that most people have either no symptons or very mild ones, there's really no way to know which way the test will go. I'd rather find out sooner.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: AA, Cap1
Can anyone recommend a testing centre near Heathrow T5 that would allow us to book a test and cancel if we decide not to fly/restrictions change? Or is it fairly safe to just book the day before we need it? Travelling to NYC in first week of January so trying to weigh up when to book all of our tests (and whether the trip is still worth it).
I’ve flown out of LHR three times in the past year. Each time I used the test site at LHR. I booked my test a day or two in advance, and had no problem finding a convenient time slot. One time I got there a little earlier than my test time and was allowed an earlier time slot.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but that’s my story.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
For me it was for a return flight to the USA. I had everything ready to show them and was expecting them to ask, but they didn't. This was my experience but of course it can be different for others.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 11:22 am

Has anyone used the Covid testing at YVR for returning to the US. I expect to be returning at the beginning fo the year and trying to find out the best options for this. Are there any other options in the Vancouver area?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
I booked an LFT test kit through Boots (https://boots.recova-19.com/) after which they sent a link to make an appointment through the main Boots website. I chose the landside Boots at T5 departures on the day of my flight, as the timing worked out best for me. They promised the result within an hour, and I got the email with certificate within 20 minutes (this was last week).

Edit: For clarity, they don't send you the test kit. At your appointment, Boots will check your ID and booking reference from the email, and will provide the kit there and then, and a staff member will handle the swab.
DaveS and SamirD like this.

Last edited by travellingwigbury; Dec 17, 2021 at 1:29 pm Reason: Clarify test kit handling
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by blue_can
Has anyone used the Covid testing at YVR for returning to the US. I expect to be returning at the beginning of the year and trying to find out the best options for this. Are there any other options in the Vancouver area?
I got tested at YVR, it was expensive ($75) and took like a hour to get an antigen test result. Thankfully, I did it the day before. Get there super early.
When I looked, all the non-airport options were even more expensive. While you can get a test at Rexall for $30 and Shoppers for like $40 in Ontario, no antigen pharmacy option appeared to exist in BC.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by nmpls
I got tested at YVR, it was expensive ($75) and took like a hour to get an antigen test result. Thankfully, I did it the day before. Get there super early.
When I looked, all the non-airport options were even more expensive. While you can get a test at Rexall for $30 and Shoppers for like $40 in Ontario, no antigen pharmacy option appeared to exist in BC.
Thanks for the feedback. I thought it would be quick but it sounds like it would be advisable to do it the day before. I will be staying in Richmond so not too far from the airport. Yes I was also told by people in BC that places like Shoppers are not doing antigen testing unlike pharmacies in the US.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.