Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: l etoile
10 June 2022 - The Biden administration will on Sunday end a requirement that air travelers to the U.S. undergo Covid-19 tests before departure, according to federal officials.

The testing requirement is set to end June 12 at 12:01 a.m.

CDC Order and FAQ: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

CDC Order updated 2 December 2021:
  • If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get a COVID-19 viral test (regardless of vaccination status or citizenship) no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
  • If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
You must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

eMed (Abbot BinaxNOW, one of the approved methods) Thread on Flyertalk: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coronavirus-travel/2048940-issues-re-emed-abbot-binaxnow-navica-tests.html
Print Wikipost

US to require air travelers to provide a negative test within 1 day of departure

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by superflysocal
What is the "consensus" here on whether to buy the take home covid test kits for travel that United website lists? Are there false positive concerns with these tests? Are there issues with getting an online proctor in a timely manner? Are there wifi issues to be concerned about. I will be in Paris and I think there will be many pharmacie available for test (at reasonable price?) but if the home test is more convenient then i would prefer that.

There's a thread on experiences with the take home tests. Many (most?) people have used the with no problem. Here are issues that some have reported:

1. Test sometimes yield an inconclusive non-result and then you need to have packed a backup test
2. Some confusion over expiration dates of take home tests
3. A little bit of uncertainty over whether Person A can buy the tests in his name and then have family members use the test (this seems to be allowed though)
4. Some staff of foreign airlines have rejected the take home test results, saying "No take home tests allowed!" and they don't budge even when shown CDC website saying proctored telehealth take home tests are valid
5. Some travelers have reported hours waiting for an online proctor

I don't think there's a consensus, except maybe there would be widespread agreement that it's pretty low risk to use these as long as you pack a backup test AND use it to fly on an airline like United or American that specifically partners with the testmaker and approves the use of the tests
Old Dec 12, 2021, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
There's a thread on experiences with the take home tests. Many (most?) people have used the with no problem. Here are issues that some have reported:

1. Test sometimes yield an inconclusive non-result and then you need to have packed a backup test
3. A little bit of uncertainty over whether Person A can buy the tests in his name and then have family members use the test (this seems to be allowed though)
4. Some staff of foreign airlines have rejected the take home test results, saying "No take home tests allowed!" and they don't budge even when shown CDC website saying proctored telehealth take home tests are valid

I don't think there's a consensus, except maybe there would be widespread agreement that it's pretty low risk to use these as long as you pack a backup test AND use it to fly on an airline like United or American that specifically partners with the testmaker and approves the use of the tests
6. Some folks (myself included) have received defective tests. And I had a backup test and it was defective as well (I carried two for one person) so have a local backup as well. This isn't a widespread problem though.

Since you cannot open the package until you are on camera there is no official way to check this but honestly if you were careful with a razor blade you could probably pull it off (the issues I have see are no reagent (what I had) and no sticky tape on test card). I wouldn't hesitate to try the proctored BinaxNow tests again even so but until they start shipping tests with expiration dates at least six months out I'll personally pass. As always make sure you have a backup plan.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by superflysocal
I will be in Paris and I think there will be many pharmacie available for test (at reasonable price?) but if the home test is more convenient then i would prefer that.
Unless you need to do the test on a sunday, Antigen test is widely available in Paris in plenty of pharmacies (+ all labs). Cost is max 29 Euros.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jphripjah

I've used the BinaxNOW tests quite a few times...

2 - There is no confusion mover the expiration dates. The BinaxNOW tests that were originally marked with a 9 month life are good for 12 months. Details here.
3 - Nobody has reported any problem with letting those other than the person who purchased the tests use the tests. Originally people were told that this was not allowed, but during actual testing there is no check. The person being tested simply has to have their own NAVICA account.
4 - Printed copies of the PDF file (or displaying then on a device) have worked most everywhere. I've not heard reports of any problem in a few months.
5 - There have not been problems reported re: waiting hours for a proctor in months. There was a problem this week when a portion of AWS went down and the testing web site itself was not available.

In short, the tests have been quite cnvenient and reliable. We've used over 20 and have had no problems whatsoever.
ExpatExp and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
There is no confusion mover the expiration dates. The BinaxNOW tests that were originally marked with a 9 month life are good for 12 months. Details here.
So I have three tests all with the 136903G lot number. The original expiry was 9/6/21 and the new one is 12/6/21. I received a 6 pack of these tests on June 8th 2021. There is a 2020-12-20 date under the lot number on the box. I'll assume that is the date of manufacture. So basically e-med screwed me by shipping me a 6 pack of tests that were made 6 months prior.

Nice.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by enviroian
So I have three tests all with the 136903G lot number. The original expiry was 9/6/21 and the new one is 12/6/21. I received a 6 pack of these tests on June 8th 2021. There is a 2020-12-20 date under the lot number on the box. I'll assume that is the date of manufacture. So basically e-med screwed me by shipping me a 6 pack of tests that were made 6 months prior.

Nice.
Indeed - and sadly they've done this to many other people as well. We received some tests that were good for less time than yours. But there is n confusion over the expiration dates.
enviroian and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Indeed - and sadly they've done this to many other people as well. We received some tests that were good for less time than yours. But there is n confusion over the expiration dates.

yo, e-med:

🖕🖕🖕
prof, LETTERBOY and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
The person being tested simply has to have their own NAVICA account.
As I was advised in the emed thread, I was able to add family members to my own Navica account so its not necessary for them to have their own account. Before starting the test you just select which person is going to test and I had to show my own ID at the beginning of the live process. Test results for everyone was sent to my app so that made it much more organized and convenient to have it all in one place.

In short, the tests have been quite cnvenient and reliable. We've used over 20 and have had no problems whatsoever.
I haven't used 20 (yet!) but I agree that these tests are convenient and painless to use.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:29 pm

Do they know the test is expired when they scan the little QR code? Or is there some other way for them to know it’s expired?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
As I was advised in the emed thread, I was able to add family members to my own Navica account so its not necessary for them to have their own account. Before starting the test you just select which person is going to test and I had to show my own ID at the beginning of the live process. Test results for everyone was sent to my app so that made it much more organized and convenient to have it all in one place.

I haven't used 20 (yet!) but I agree that these tests are convenient and painless to use.
how do you add family members to Navica account?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Delta Platinum, ST Elite+
Has anyone used the City Health home test for US entry? The test is marked as "INDICAID COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test." Website says it is approved for US entry, but i want to make sure. I'll be flying back to the US from Rome on Jan 1. Not a cheap test, so I just want to verify. Feeling like maybe I should just go to a pharmacia.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by theplayer
how do you add family members to Navica account?
Sign into your app> click the gear icon on the upper right corner> click Managed profiles > click Add Managed profile and enter the info requested. I think you can also do it online after logging into your account on their site but I did it in the app.
Xyzzy and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
Sign into your app> click the gear icon on the upper right corner> click Managed profiles > click Add Managed profile and enter the info requested. I think you can also do it online after logging into your account on their site but I did it in the app.
thank you, added my wife, although it does state "for children, elders, or other people for whom you manage their healthcare".
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:54 am

if i ordered a 2 pack from optum, i assume my wife and i have to create different navica accounts to take the test, right?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by prof
Do they know the test is expired when they scan the little QR code? Or is there some other way for them to know it’s expired?
I'm curious to know about this too. If they don't know, then the expiration date doesn't mean diddly and you can just use it--although I'm sure the potential for false results would increase.
prof likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.