Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Worldwide Infection Rates and Developments (was Europe only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worldwide Infection Rates and Developments (was Europe only)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2021, 10:45 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Most of Europe is seeing a rise in cases, expected to peak some time in April. It is the English variant of the virus. And I believe international Easter holidays in Europe are a bad idea this year. Hopefully we’ll have proper summer holiday options.

But I was replying to the previous post, which talked about Spain and Portugal seeing reduced rates and being a possible Easter holiday destination for Germans.

It seems lockdowns drive the numbers down faster than vaccinations, if we can compare the numbers in some EU countries vs. Israel. You've seen much quicker decline in new cases in some of the EU countries while Israel's new cases remain stubbornly high despite the high percentage of vaccinated adults there.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by exp
Israel's new cases remain stubbornly high despite the high percentage of vaccinated adults there.
A >60% reduction in positivity rates, when neighboring countries like Turkey are seeing spikes, is a fabulous testament the the success of vaccination.

He pointed out that Israel continues to have thousands of new cases per day, not dozens or even hundreds, although the number of new daily cases is on the decline and on average less than 4% of people screened are testing positive. On Wednesday, only 2.9% of people tested positive, the Health Ministry showed. Last month, Israel had days where 10% of people tested positive.
​​​https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.jpost...ael-661739/amp
VCURamFan likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 1:43 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Italy

Italy has imposed tough new restrictions for most of the country, as a 'third wave' of Covid takes hold. From Monday, schools, restaurants, shops and museums across most regions will close in an effort to halt the surging coronavirus infections.

Italy’s tiered system of red, orange, yellow and white zones remains in place, while local authorities are also able to declare ‘mini red zones’ or other additional restrictions in case of a spike in infections, meaning some coronavirus restrictions vary around the country. Based on the latest announcements, there will be no yellow zones from Monday.
People in Italy are urged to stay at home whenever possible and to avoid unnecessary contact with anyone they do not live with. Masks must be worn at all times in public. There is a 10pm-5am curfew in place, and a ban on non-essential travel between all regions.

A national ‘red zone’ is in place for Easter, with some changes to restrictions for April 3-5th.
https://www.thelocal.it/20210310/wha...tion-in-italy/
Old Mar 13, 2021, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
The stupid vaccine rollouts are soooooo freaking slow, get on with it already, and the animals keep infecting each other with corona parties, weddings, and $ht, this is going to be another 3-4 wasted months of our lives, let's hope there is some serious improvement by summer.
EC and ministers are working on it or at least laying the groundwork, they are feeling heat from the councils.
EU closes ranks over Covid surge and vaccine delays
- A few weeks ago there was talk of European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen possibly having to resign over the fact that contracts signed with vaccine producers came late and weren't tight enough to guarantee delivery. European politicians and voters alike wanted to know why the UK was able to get all its vaccines but the EU wasn't. But the EU mood has shifted slowly since. Ursula von der Leyen (belatedly) admitted that mistakes were made and EU governments privately acknowledge they share some of the blame as they were consulted by Brussels before it negotiated the vaccine contracts on their behalf. –

- By now though, there's a growing feeling in the EU that they're "all in it together", bearing in mind the single market and the open-border Schengen Agreement. This was the opinion of one European politician I spoke to on condition of anonymity. "We're not protected at all if we're not all vaccinated at a European level," he told me. "Going it alone could never have really been an option, even for the rich countries. So the pan-EU plan is really an investment in each of us."

That said, the European Commission is hardly off the hook. On Friday, Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz accused it of presiding over a vaccine "bazaar" and failing to distribute jabs according to each country's population size, despite an agreement to do so. A charge the Commission denies. And the European medical body the EMA consistently comes under fire for being "slow" to approve vaccines. –

- While some in the EU favour a much tougher stance on exports, as long as pharma companies fail to deliver to the bloc, others I speak to think that would be a terrible idea, affecting the EU's image abroad. "Just look at the soft power Russia and China are exerting by bestowing their vaccines around the world," one of the diplomats I spoke to said to me. "The EU has to step up and honour its commitments to those less fortunate than ourselves. It's a moral and political imperative. At the moment these vaccine rows are a stupid competition between rich, privileged nations. I hope we can co-ordinate our international obligations at the upcoming EU leaders' summit." –
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:19 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

14-day COVID-19 notification rate per 100 000, weeks 9-10 (ECDC - map produced on 16 March 2021)

Geographic distribution of COVID-19 :14-day COVID-19 cases notification rate per 100 000, worldwide, weeks 9-10 (date of production 18 March 2021)

Owenc likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 5:14 pm

I'm not a scientist, but I am of the opinion that leaders ought to inform the public. Yes, Germany's in another wave. Yes, it's caused by the UK variant. Yes, measures are required to control the situation.

No, it's not "basically a new pandemic." No, the UK variant is not "a new virus of the same kind." To say otherwise is utterly preposterous and very irresponsible.

Germany is extending its lockdown until April 18 and calling on citizens to stay at home for five days over the Easter holidays to try to break a third wave of the Covid-19 pandemic, Chancellor Angela Merkel said early on Tuesday.In talks that ran deep into the night, Merkel pushed the leaders of Germany's 16 states to take a tougher stance to fight the pandemic, reversing plans for a gradual re-opening of the economy agreed earlier this month after a sharp rise in the infection rate.

"We are now basically in a new pandemic. The British mutation has become dominant," Merkel told a news conference.

"Fundamentally, we face a new virus of the same kind but with very different characteristics. More deadly, more infectious, and infectious for longer."
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...aster-n1261815
:D! and FlitBen like this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by lobo411
I'm not a scientist, but I am of the opinion that leaders ought to inform the public. Yes, Germany's in another wave. Yes, it's caused by the UK variant. Yes, measures are required to control the situation.

No, it's not "basically a new pandemic." No, the UK variant is not "a new virus of the same kind." To say otherwise is utterly preposterous and very irresponsible.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...aster-n1261815
What cannot continue must stop someday.
Coronavirus: Germany's Merkel reverses plans for Easter lockdown
- It had been widely criticised by business leaders and scientists. The head of Mrs Merkel's Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party, Armin Laschet, told a regional parliament meeting on Wednesday that the lockdown was "not enforceable in this form".

"This mistake is mine alone," Mrs Merkel told reporters in Berlin. "The whole process has caused additional uncertainty, for which I ask all citizens to forgive me." "There were good reasons for it but it could not be implemented well enough in this short time," she added. –

- This was an extraordinary statement. Chancellor Merkel said she alone bore responsibility for the plan to extend what is usually a three-day Easter holiday to a five-day shut down. The German leader will be conscious that - as case numbers soar exponentially - public trust in her government's pandemic response is wavering. She was seen as a safe pair of hands who brought the country through the first wave of infections. But - as regional leaders bicker over lockdown measures - Germany's response is becoming increasingly chaotic. Mrs Merkel appears to be struggling to keep the country together. –
lobo411 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 1:09 pm

14-day COVID-19 notification rate per 100 000, weeks 10-11 (ECDC - map produced on 24 March 2021)

Geographic distribution of COVID-19 :14-day COVID-19 cases notification rate per 100 000, worldwide, weeks 10-11 (date of production 25 March 2021)

alex67500 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Italy - 5 day Quarantine

Due to a third wave of infections in Italy, they are introducing quarantine for travellers.

The Italian government is to introduce a mandatory five-day quarantine for EU travellers amid a third wave of infections in a number of countries.

Previously, only arrivals from outside the bloc had to self-isolate.

Tuesday's decision comes as new rules requiring all air passengers to Germany to provide a negative coronavirus test come into effect
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56576657
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Due to a third wave of infections in Italy, they are introducing quarantine for travellers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56576657
Nothing to do with the third wave...The idiots who govern us, in Italy, have introduced this measure to avoid helping the tourism of other countries like Spain, many Italians had booked their Easter holidays in Spain ... the day before they find themselves at a change of rules.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 12:09 pm

Not sure if this is the right place but now Spain requiring face masks when sunbathing - how to kill off tourism! Also reported in more reputable sources not just DM?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...in-summer.html
hugolover and Owenc like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:47 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by DL77
The idiots who govern us, in Italy,
? Including (or especially ?) Draghi ?

It is about jealousy and populism and is intended for people who will have left before 6 April 2021. The same was over Xmas and New Year. To keep a resemblance to the now defunct "free movement" they did not ban traveling within the EU altogether. I see Schengen seriously in danger.

Idiots is still a compliment for what is happening and I can assure you that in practice the "puttanieri" are going ahead with life as usual.

And be reassured, it will be back to negative fast test soon. Everybody is desperate for money. This action was just to penalize the local population.
hugolover, lobo411 and DL77 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by behuman
? Including (or especially ?) Draghi ?

It is about jealousy and populism and is intended for people who will have left before 6 April 2021. The same was over Xmas and New Year. To keep a resemblance to the now defunct "free movement" they did not ban traveling within the EU altogether. I see Schengen seriously in danger.

Idiots is still a compliment for what is happening and I can assure you that in practice the "puttanieri" are going ahead with life as usual.

And be reassured, it will be back to negative fast test soon. Everybody is desperate for money. This action was just to penalize the local population.
Including Draghi.😡
behuman likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 2:27 pm

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by DL77
Including Draghi.😡
Dark clouds over the EU and kudos to the UK (for one time). The world will not be the same and (for me regrettably) the US and the UK will be the winners. We have to admit defeat. And yes the high spending US tourists will be much missed this summer.
Owenc, James91 and DL77 like this.

Last edited by behuman; Mar 30, 2021 at 2:32 pm
Old Apr 1, 2021, 5:43 am

14-day COVID-19 notification rate per 100 000, weeks 11-12 (ECDC - map produced on 31 March 2021)

Geographic distribution of COVID-19 :14-day COVID-19 cases notification rate per 100 000, worldwide, weeks 11-12 (date of production 31 March 2021)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.