Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Worldwide Infection Rates and Developments (was Europe only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worldwide Infection Rates and Developments (was Europe only)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:37 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Israel is still that dark brown or orange color on the map. Been the same since Jan?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by exp
Israel is still that dark brown or orange color on the map. Been the same since Jan?
I think Israel is just too hard to see on the map, and the dark brown country is actually Jordan.
​​​​
Israel's case rate is 38 per million, and Jordan's is 630 per million.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lobo411
I think Israel is just too hard to see on the map, and the dark brown country is actually Jordan.
​​​​
Israel's case rate is 38 per million, and Jordan's is 630 per million.
Using the ECDC's 14 days /100k rate, the raw data says
Israel 138.92 (same colour as Canada or Ireland)
Jordan 1029.88
lobo411 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:32 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
14-day COVID-19 notification rate per 100 000, weeks 12-13 (ECDC - map produced on 7 April 2021)

Geographic distribution of COVID-19 :14-day COVID-19 cases notification rate per 100 000, worldwide, weeks 12-13 (date of production 7 April 2021)

Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is there a 3-day and 7-day COVID-19 notification rate per 100 000 map too? Juxtaposing those against the 14-day map would make for an interesting tale about developments in the area. Perhaps it would even show much starker differences between some countries than the 14-day map shows.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is there a 3-day and 7-day COVID-19 notification rate per 100 000 map too? Juxtaposing those against the 14-day map would make for an interesting tale about developments in the area. Perhaps it would even show much starker differences between some countries than the 14-day map shows.
Officially 14 days remains the preferred measure and there are a good heap of reasons why that works best. ECDC will stick with 14 days and so won't be doing maps or data support for shorter periods (though their spreadsheet download can be used to extract a weekly figure, so that's a generalisation). There are sites like ourworldindata which unofficially collate data and have a map functionality for rolling 7 days:

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers...OL~BEL~CZE~GRC

[click map tab under chart, will take a minute or so to calculate]

Unofficial data collection has got a lot better in recent months, but take Spain for example, their figure is a compilation of several agencies and multiple Autonomous Communities, each with their own computer issues / reporting periods. So it's quite difficult to maintain this accurately. Moreover the ECDC is probably right when they say that really day to day movements in data shouldn't influence policies or thinking. From experience the 14 day figure does give one particular advantage: if you multiply is 0.85 then that's the number of people who have had a proper test and can be considered at risk of transmitting the disease to others, at the point of the last data day. You can't configure a 7 day figure anything like as easily.

For 3 day averages, it probably works ok for some places, but the data variance is too great. Some places don't do much testing on a Sunday, or if they do, don't report it. And a dozen other such factors.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Apr 9, 2021 at 3:07 am
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The reason I asked is because I've seen some indications that using the 7-day averages has come with a kind of predictive ability in a couple of models that turned out superior than when using 14 day averages. The 3-day averages were of interest for a different reason.

I've got the numbers, I just didn't want to go have anyone spend time plotting them for maps if they too were already there.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:50 am
Suspended

I am confident that Greece is going to be open for summer, but what is the general feeling re. hotels/beaches/bars and restaurants in France/Italy opening for the summer season?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by 747-800i
but what is the general feeling re. hotels/beaches/bars and restaurants in France/Italy opening for the summer season?
They will be fully open, no other possible option seriously. No one will tolerate that during the summer. Patience of people has reached a limit.
Fritz, hugolover, lobo411 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:02 pm
exp
Suspended

I saw a clip of police raiding a private party in Paris. Apparent'y something put together by some high end restaurant for the well heeled to dine in some palatial surroundings.
lobo411 and Owenc like this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by exp
I saw a clip of police raiding a private party in Paris. Apparent'y something put together by some high end restaurant for the well heeled to dine in some palatial surroundings.
Those are 2 different stories/events.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goldorak
They will be fully open, no other possible option seriously. No one will tolerate that during the summer. Patience of people has reached a limit.
I want to believe people have finally had ENOUGH, but then I see the Paris curfew extended AGAIN or pushed to another lockdown, etc...I haven't been back since October because there's been no reason to with the situation. Very sad.
Owenc likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 5:16 pm
exp
Suspended

Macron was advised to increase restrictions in January. He declined and then cases took off and he had to increase them in March.
hugolover, :D! and JEM_NYC like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:42 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
​​​​​14-day COVID-19 notification rate per 100 000, weeks 13-14 (ECDC - map produced on 14 April 2021)

Geographic distribution of COVID-19 :14-day COVID-19 cases notification rate per 100 000, worldwide, weeks 13-14 (date of production 15 April 2021)

Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Netherlands announcing a stoplight system too.

Germany, Portugal, Spain and England will be the first ones to be allowed. Official decision on may 3.
Fritz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.