Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Worldwide Infection Rates and Developments (was Europe only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worldwide Infection Rates and Developments (was Europe only)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by nk15
It shows how close the war will be with the virus, it finds one weakness and regains a foothold...
That's why we need to keep our guard up until most people are fully vaccinated.
renila and pudgym29 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
And do not forget that UK vaccinated mostly with AZ and that this vaccine seems less effective on several variants than the mRNA ones. This may play a role in the UK situation.
TravisMT81, nk15, sleepro and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:48 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I think the 3 months between first and second dose may also be at play.

One shot is 50% or less effective vs. Delta variant than 2 shots.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
That's why we need to keep our guard up until most people are fully vaccinated.
In my experience, vaccination doesn’t seem to impact whether one gets Covid. I’m fully vaccinated and got Covid just over a week ago (and passed it on). It isn’t binary sadly.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
In my experience, vaccination doesn’t seem to impact whether one gets Covid. I’m fully vaccinated and got Covid just over a week ago (and passed it on). It isn’t binary sadly.
Sorry to hear this. It may be because you got it from someone unvaccinated, so the viral load was high. Between two fully vaccinated individuals there should not be transmission, or it should be very light load?

Probably degree of exposure (time, proximity, plus load) matters, so precautions should always be taken, even for fully vaccinated...especially in a country with a dominant Delta variant...
Owenc likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Sorry to hear this. It may be because you got it from someone unvaccinated, so the viral load was high. Between two fully vaccinated individuals there should not be transmission, or it should be very light load?

Probably degree of exposure (time, proximity, plus load) matters, so precautions should always be taken, even for fully vaccinated...especially in a country with a dominant Delta variant...
Many thanks 😊

Agreed re how it might have found its way in
and how we still need to be careful. Luckily I’m not particularly unwell. Could be a lot worse.
renila, StingWest and nk15 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Well actually it IS kind of binary for any single person (you get it or you don't) . But at population level it's not. What matters is the percentage of vaccinated people actually getting covid. And this seems to be fairly low even for the Delta variant, at least with Pfizer. In this context, vaccination can indeed achieve virus control at population level.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:14 am

Even with Astra Zeneca, the data presented from Public Health England yesterday suggests that there is very good protection against Delta with both doses. The issue is getting everyone to that point as quickly as possible, and buying time if needed.
adrianlondon and Silver Fox like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:19 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Originally Posted by exp
I think the 3 months between first and second dose may also be at play.

One shot is 50% or less effective vs. Delta variant than 2 shots.
Indeed. Young people have to wait till september until getting 2d dose. That's a whole summer of possible catching/spreading.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by itisme
Indeed. Young people have to wait till september until getting 2d dose. That's a whole summer of possible catching/spreading.
I think the UK is bringing the second jab forward from 12 to 8 weeks, although you only get a prompt to do so; you need to cancel then re-schedule your second appointment yourself.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by itisme
The chances of spreading the virus, though, are a lot less if you've gotten even one vaccination. From this post, fransknorge posted this chart which in my view is a pretty good indication of how well we'll all fare with effective vaccines:

Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
14-day COVID-19 case notification rate per 100 000 population, weeks 22-23 (ECDC - map produced on 16 June 2021)

Geographic distribution of COVID-19 : 14-day COVID-19 case notification rate per 100 000, worldwide, weeks 22-23, date of production 17 June 2021
pudgym29 and adrianlondon like this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 9:23 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

14-day COVID-19 case notification rate per 100 000 population, weeks 23-24 (ECDC - map produced on 23 June 2021)

Geographic distribution of COVID-19 : 14-day COVID-19 case notification rate per 100 000, worldwide, weeks 23-24 (date of production 24 June 2021)

Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:52 pm

14-day COVID-19 case notification rate per 100 000 population, weeks 24-25 (ECDC - map produced on 30 June 2021)

Geographic distribution of COVID-19 : 14-day COVID-19 case notification rate per 100 000, worldwide, weeks 24-25 (date of production 30 June 2021)

adrianlondon, alex67500 and 13901 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 8:28 am
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The mistakes of last summer are being repeated, I even think it is way worse and the first consequences are showing, several countries with low vaccination rates are seeing cases grow again (France, Spain, Portugal, several districts of Germany, ...).
In Catalogne the Reff is above 2 now, this is the case increase. If I were you I would not book flight there, lockdown incoming.
renila and nk15 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.