Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Slovenia has become the first European country to proclaim an end to the coronavirus epidemic at home, AP reports.

It said on Friday that the Covid-19 spread is under control and there is no longer a need for extraordinary health measures. The government says EU residents are free to cross into Slovenia from Austria, Italy and Hungary at predetermined checkpoints, while most non-EU nationals will have to undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine.

The first coronavirus case in Slovenia was recorded on 4 March, in a returnee from neighbouring Italy. By May 13, there were 1,467 confirmed cases and 103 deaths in Slovenia.
I am happy for Slovenia and all other countries who claim the same, like New Zealand and Iceland but I do wonder - what is next. The fact that these countries have been so successful in erradicating the virus would make you think that they are also the most vunerable ones if they open their borders, that's why word out of New Zealand, as well as Australia is, that borders won't be open for anyone outside of these two countries for at least until 2021.

I am not posting this to say it's right or wrong, just really wondering what is next for these countries. Words from the Swedish scientist Professor Johan Giesecke I watched in a recent interview come to mind where he is wondering what these countries will do who have "zero" cases and the only answer he could give was that they will be closed to the outside until there is a vaccine.

Slovenia and Iceland are opening up at least to EU citizens (Iceland maybe to Intl. travelers as well without the quarantine) and maybe these will be good case studies to see if it works together of course with other countries who have been relatively sucessful.

Last edited by yvrcnx; May 15, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Old May 15, 2020, 2:07 pm

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/norway-...e-over-summer/
Norway has now already extended most measures until the end of August.

Article didn't translate the Norwegian too well though. They will readdress entry from other Nordics in mid June and then from some other European countries in mid July.

Last edited by Dan1113; May 15, 2020 at 2:17 pm
Old May 15, 2020, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So if the EU opens borders for other EU nations, does that mean tourism is reopened?

Hotels, restaurants, museums, attractions, etc. will be open?
Old May 16, 2020, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by wco81
So if the EU opens borders for other EU nations, does that mean tourism is reopened?

Each country is responsible for deciding what opens and when, with most taking a phased approach through summer. For example, in Germany Museums have now reopened, but large events like beer festivals have been cancelled through to the end of August.
Old May 16, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC Silver
Same here in Belgium. All festivals like Tomorrowland cancelled up to 31/08. Bars and restaurants will be the last to reopen.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
So I guess when hotels reopen they will most likely be room only in many countries or with limited access to restaurant and bar areas at best. Some UK hotels are now not allowing the general public to book until 4th July which is when the PM said certain restrictions MAY be lifted subject to the R rate.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If restaurants and hotels aren't open, where are tourists supposed to sleep? Visit relatives or camp? AirBnB seems less safe to me than chain hotels because hotel chains have implemented housekeeping standards and procedures. And how will they get food? Regular hotel rooms don't work with self catering, and many people staying in suites or apartments wouldn't want to cook all the time on vacation. Plus, often part of the fun of a vacation is going to great restaurants. Others associate vacations with bars, pubs, and clubs, and some destinations in Europe are (in)famous for this.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Swedish government is annoyed that Denmark doesn't want to fully re-open to Sweden until weeks or more after Denmark has re-opened to Germany and Norway. The Danish government is telling Sweden that Denmark won't re-open to Sweden this month and will re-examine the border control matter closer to June 1st and see how Sweden is doing at that point.

When Denmark doesn't even want to quickly agree to open up to Sweden by June 1st, it's wishful thinking to think that Denmark is going to want open up to US and Canadian tourists coming into the Schengen zone two weeks later.

There are other places where this kind of internal friction is also in play. When there is so much friction in play between long-time siblings Denmark and Sweden, the idea of getting the critical mass of the EU to agree to opening up to US and Canadian tourists on June 15th seems like wishful thinking.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If restaurants and hotels aren't open, where are tourists supposed to sleep? Visit relatives or camp? AirBnB seems less safe to me than chain hotels because hotel chains have implemented housekeeping standards and procedures. And how will they get food? Regular hotel rooms don't work with self catering, and many people staying in suites or apartments wouldn't want to cook all the time on vacation. Plus, often part of the fun of a vacation is going to great restaurants. Others associate vacations with bars, pubs, and clubs, and some destinations in Europe are (in)famous for this.
There are hotels open across various parts of the EU/Schengen area, and probably more will be more open at some point in June or at least July. Even when the internal borders have been shut in parts, those countries have mainly had some hotels still operating. But I wouldn't be surprised if hotel service levels this summer are a shadow of their former self in many parts of the area -- even with government restrictions easing up and internal border controls becoming more relaxed.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 16, 2020 at 9:10 am
Old May 16, 2020, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If I were booking an Airbnb I would be asking the host what increased cleanliness measures they have introduced in light of COVID. Of course there is no guarantee they will do as they suggest but it should offer a bit more comfort.

Also, rightly or wrongly it seems that Airbnb (in the UK at least) are honouring bookings that were made prior to the Government extending the closure of hotels. In contrast, all active hotel bookings will be automatically cancelled by the hotel chain regardless of when the booking was made. In that sense it seems that Airbnb are less likely to leave travellers 'homeless'. This obviously doesn't apply to those countries whose Governments have closed hotels and Airbnb indefinitely.

Last edited by Saint4805; May 16, 2020 at 9:20 am
Old May 16, 2020, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by wco81

They already are in many places, and some of those did not close. I posted that I mentally 'recreated' a recent weekend in Berlin, where I usually walk 20++KM/day and see a lot of cultural sites and indulge in gastronomic. Other than the hotel pool/gym/sauna, every museum, gallery, restaurant, food outlet, shop that I visited is open today, and some have been for some time. That includes one of the top restaurants. The hotel never closed. There is a lot of misinformation especially as the term 'lockdown' is overused (particularly in parts of America, which were far more open this entire time)
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:28 am

I don't blame the Danish Government for not letting Swedes in yet. Besides the obvious public health considerations, they know that their citizens have had to endure a more strict lockdown than the Swedes and that they'd be well p'd off if the Swedes are allowed to waltz over the border this soon.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:34 am

I just step out for ma WE messages and oh my!..lots of people on their feet! 3/4 with masks, 1/4 without. Some having a cafe outside or/and eating ice creams...people are mad to feel free right now as if everyone is showing the virus the V sign!
Old May 16, 2020, 10:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Saint4805
I don't blame the Danish Government for not letting Swedes in yet. Besides the obvious public health considerations, they know that their citizens have had to endure a more strict lockdown than the Swedes and that they'd be well p'd off if the Swedes are allowed to waltz over the border this soon.
Given that:

1) most all Danes living in Sweden have been able to cross from Sweden into Denmark easily;
2) Danes residing in Denmark have been playing tourist in Sweden during March, April, May;
2) many thousands of Swedes are employed in Denmark and have been commuting or otherwise crossing across the Danish-Swedish border; and
3) most of the Swedes who go to Denmark are most commonly coming from parts of Sweden with a lower incidence (per capita) of cases of this virus than Copenhagen and other areas where Swedes mostly go in Denmark;
4) Sweden made significant investments to increase integration between Denmark and Sweden,

I can see why it rubs Sweden the wrong way that Denmark wants to keep Swedes out.

It's going to be really interesting if Denmark makes it more possible this month or in early June for a Swede to come and just play tourist in Denmark if the Swede is willing to route to Denmark via Germany but the same person would be denied the ability to go directly from Sweden to Copenhagen to just play tourist in Denmark.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Are Denmark and Sweden siblings or are they rivals?

IOW, would they be predisposed to not extend privilege to each other?

Though in the border area, there should be little friction in normal times?
Old May 16, 2020, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Italy is also reopening to travel within Italy at the start of June.
Per the Financial Times and other mainstream media, Italy is planing to lift all travel restrictions entirely on June 3. I wonder how the rest of Schengen will feel about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.