Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Balkan countries are the main rumours at this point, the likes of Montenegro etc.
Case in point - Hungary has a bilateral agreement with Serbia ensuring free travel between the two. Once a Serbian citizen is in HU, nothing stops him to go most anywhere in Schengenistan.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
What if you flew to Portugal then drove across the borders to your next destination? An American friend of mine departed the UK ~2 weeks ago and drove through France to Monaco and on to Italy with no problems.
You might get away with it because there might be only random spot checks at the border, but it would still be illegal.

Indeed it was as France, Italy, and Spain do not allow non-EU/EEA/CH/UK residents in just now.
the810 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
EDITED to correct: according to legislation 291/2020 all EU, CH, NO, IS, LI & RS citizens may freely enter HU. Also UA citizens may enter, but must stay within 20 miles of the border. KR & JP citizens may also enter on business, if they are mangers/working for a company registered in HU (read: Samsung, Suzuki, etc) (or maybe registerd in the EU - the text is ambiguous. If I read it correctly, UK citizens are NOT allowed in, they are explicitly excluded from the list.
Do you have a link? UK citizens are covered by freedom of movement so countries that have reopened in a generic way to all EU/EEA etc have included the UK in every other scenario, so this would surprise me (especially if Portugal and Sweden are ok on their list).
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:49 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
EU launches official website.

https://reopen.europa.eu/en

For each country, you can select the globe icon on the upper left to see the current rules of "third country" tourists.

Currently most of the EU is red meaning no tourists from outside the EU. But Greece and Portugal are yellow, "with limitations" for third country tourists.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have a link? UK citizens are covered by freedom of movement so countries that have reopened in a generic way to all EU/EEA etc have included the UK in every other scenario, so this would surprise me (especially if Portugal and Sweden are ok on their list).
Here it is in the original Hungarian on the gov't website - decree 291/2020

https://konzuliszolgalat.kormany.hu/...orlatozasokrol

This is what you'd look for:

"
  • a magyar állampolgár,
  • az Európai Uniós tagállamok, az EGT megállapodásban részes államok, valamint Svájc állampolgárai (kivéve Egyesült Királyság),
  • és a fenti személyek harmadik ország állampolgárságával rendelkező családtagjai. "
Hungarian citizens
Citizens of the EU, of member states of the EEA and Switzerland (except United Kingdom)
and third country citizen family members of above persons

There a number of exceptions for others, but none that would cover Johnny Tourist.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exp
EU launches official website.

https://reopen.europa.eu/en
Which is in cases shows information from over a week ago - way outdated.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Hmm if I'm Canadian but I fly into Ireland from Iceland where I will have spent 2 weeks, would I be allowed to enter? Have a trip booked in September...
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by mcbg1
Hmm if I'm Canadian but I fly into Ireland from Iceland where I will have spent 2 weeks, would I be allowed to enter? Have a trip booked in September...
That's a long way a way, I wouldn't think about it now.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
That's a long way a way, I wouldn't think about it now.
Yeah. I was wondering because that new EU website says I would be allowed to enter if I fly from Iceland. I'm also flying into London for 24 hours before heading to Iceland so I'm waiting to see what happens with the quarantine there.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Here it is in the original Hungarian on the gov't website - decree 291/2020

https://konzuliszolgalat.kormany.hu/...orlatozasokrol

This is what you'd look for:

"
  • a magyar állampolgár,
  • az Európai Uniós tagállamok, az EGT megállapodásban részes államok, valamint Svájc állampolgárai (kivéve Egyesült Királyság),
  • és a fenti személyek harmadik ország állampolgárságával rendelkező családtagjai. "
Hungarian citizens
Citizens of the EU, of member states of the EEA and Switzerland (except United Kingdom)
and third country citizen family members of above persons

There a number of exceptions for others, but none that would cover Johnny Tourist.
Well thats very annoying of them considering the UK now has a lower infection rate than Sweden and Portugal which are allowed in.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Finally bit the bullet and booked Geneva 29th-31st July. Praying that the UK quarantine will be over, and the Swiss will still let us in!

The Swiss actually have one of the more liberal policies. All EU/EEA/UK allowed in with no covid19 test or quarantine, only thing are temperature checks on flights from Sweden (how long will that last?).
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by mcbg1
You're being too logical for governments.
And too innocent for this cruel world.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
You might get away with it because there might be only random spot checks at the border, but it would still be illegal.

Indeed it was as France, Italy, and Spain do not allow non-EU/EEA/CH/UK residents in just now.
True, they still talk about him at the border as "the one who got away"...
Old Jun 19, 2020, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Well thats very annoying of them considering the UK now has a lower infection rate than Sweden and Portugal which are allowed in.
Ok, I think the Hungary thing is a misunderstanding. On a different page it says that citizens who are NOT allowed in are citizens of non-EU/EEA/CH countries, except the UK. So I think it is a double negative: it is saying that non-EU citizens can't get in, with the exception of the UK (which is not an EU country anymore, but whose citizen are allowed in).

That is my interpretation of it now.

Those who do not hold a citizenship of a country from the European Union or the European Economic Area (with the exception of citizens of the United Kingdom), cannot enter the country yet.
https://hungarytoday.hu/hungarian-bo...-among-others/
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by nk15
True, they still talk about him at the border as "the one who got away"...
I am not trying to argue about this in terms of whether the rule is stupid or not, or whether it is easy to get away with or not. Just the legality of it. Indeed, those who have been following my posts know that I will be travelling all around Europe this summer but as a UK resident, am desperate to go to Prague and possibly Austria but am not allowed as it stands. Currently, those two countries let in EVERYONE from the EU except for 2-3 countries (UK included). So would I get away with it? Probably, yes. Is it any less legal? No.
the810 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.