Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

EU promises “We will have a summer tourist season” [for travellers from Europe]

Old May 14, 2020, 1:40 am

Outside schengen is more then USA i think
It makes sense to start first lift lock down rules inside country and then inside schengen
You have to check what happens everytime you lift a rule
In the netherlands with 3% covid its results nearly in a collaps of the healt system
I do hope that there is international tourisme before the secondwave
greetings cornelis
Old May 14, 2020, 1:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You may spend 14 days in quarantine there...
nope, Croatia does not require tests or quarantine as of last week and everyone is welcome as long as they have a confirmed reservation. This is from the foreign ministry in Zagreb. I just hope easyjet will still fly by then.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by adenzin7
nope, Croatia does not require tests or quarantine as of last week and everyone is welcome as long as they have a confirmed reservation. This is from the foreign ministry in Zagreb. I just hope easyjet will still fly by then.
People wanting to travel to Croatia may also have to hope that such Croatian circumstances don’t change to the detriment of prospective travelers to Croatia.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by g289t
Statistically, the US is similar to or better than most of Western Europe. Why would the EU ban Americans? Belgium has the worst record of any country in the world. The other EU countries should be banning Belgians if they're looking at numbers.
Yaaa.......no. Testing rates are too low, many places are just starting to peak, things are opening back up despite no control. Everything western Europe learned, the US ignored and is not doing the opposite of.

Plus, EU nationals can't visit there, so US nationals won't be allowed here. I hope they don't let Americans in for a while. Ya know, until we figure out what's going on.
Old May 14, 2020, 2:40 am

Statistically, the US is similar to or better than most of Western Europe. Why would the EU ban Americans? Belgium has the worst record of any country in the world. The other EU countries should be banning Belgians if they're looking at numbers.
How in the world are you rating "worst record"? Cases per capita San Marinow is worst....of larger countries it's Qatar then Spain, but the US will catch them both in the coming weeks. US is only 300 cases per 1 mil behind Belgium. I assume you are going by Deaths per population and you are right, that is quite bad in Belgium. But given the delay in it really starting in the US, I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Plus, deaths seem to be undercounted in the US.

What's really bad is how poor testing is the in the US. Their rate is below Belarus, let alone western Europe.

The fact that there are over a MILLION active cases in the US, is enough to shut down travel.
Old May 14, 2020, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
You can be sure that Irish citizens from Ireland (EU country, but not Schengen) will be allowed to enter Schengen, once travel within Schengen is allowed again.
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by largeeyes
Plus, deaths seem to be undercounted in the US.
Where do you get this? Everything I've heard says that the US is very aggressive in counting virus deaths, such as someone confirmed positive and dying in a car accident being counted. I have also heard of people being sick with cancer for years and then dying recently. The corpses are tested after they died, and counted as a virus death if tested positive. The US is overcounting if anything!

What's really bad is how poor testing is the in the US. Their rate is below Belarus, let alone western Europe.

The fact that there are over a MILLION active cases in the US, is enough to shut down travel.
The testing rates and infection rates are right in there with Western Europe numbers. Some higher, some lower. The death rates in the US, however, are much lower than most of Western Europe. Besides death rates, the US would fit right in.

Also, the US is very large and diverse. It wouldn't be unreasonable to count each US state separately to make a more accurate comparison. And if you do that, New York state would be at the top. Almost every other state would be low, like Germany or Denmark. The federal government largely left it up to each individual state to decide how to handle it, much like the European Union mostly let each EU country decide how to handle it. In the US at least, it makes sense. NYC needs different actions than Wyoming. Ha, Wyoming is so vast and sparsely populated that they practice social distancing by default!

France has cases from 2019. Why isn't France being criticized for not recognizing it and shutting things down then? Yes, I know, they didn't know about it. It wasn't evident, and nobody knew what it was back then. And I agree. However, we know full well that had it been the US instead of France in the exact same scenario, the US would be highly criticized.

As a disclaimer, I will say that although I am American, I am an expat living in Africa. I haven't been in the US for almost a year now. It's interesting that here you don't hear much about the US. It's all Western Europe. The blame goes to Europe rather than the US, probably because the first number of confirmed cases here were people who had been in Europe and brought it back.

I keep reading about how poorly the US is doing, mostly on Reddit. However, nobody ever says what they're actually doing or not doing. Nobody seems to know. The media and every public forum has a blanket viewpoint (for everything, not just COVID 19): US bad, Western Europe good. Look at how other countries are raising questions about China. It's hailed as the thing that must be done. The US did it a long time ago, and it was highly criticized.

OK, I'm finished. I think I've made my viewpoint clear! Fire away!

Last edited by g289t; May 14, 2020 at 3:22 am
Old May 14, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC Silver
Most countries will first invest in their own tourism so that local companies (attractions, hotels and restaurants) can restart. See this as a test. No point in opening borders if we fail at the 'local' phase. After a succesful restart (between now and July), I believe we will see 'bubbles' between European countries that are relatively safe. A lot of people are anxious to travel internationally at the moment. For trips outside Europe (so Americas, Middle-East, Africa, Asia and Australia), I think we'll only see modest returns by the end of 2020 and beyond.

Social distancing and masks will be the norm for a very long time (if not forever).
Owenc likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even as Iceland is not in the EU, Iceland is part of the Schengen zone and is signed up to go along with the EU’s Schengen controls applicable to third country nationals at Schengen ports of entry. So even with a direct US-Iceland flight, prospective US and Canadian tourists to Iceland commonly have to meet Iceland’s national admissibility requirements and the Schengen area’s ones too for third country nationals. Iceland can desire to have all the American and Canadian tourists it wants, but unless and until the EU changes the Schengen zone ban or Iceland quits Schengen — the latter of which Iceland wouldn’t even consider today — Iceland will probably have to wait for the EU to change the Schengen ban rules that currently keep out the average US and Canadian tourist from being admissible into the Schengen zone. Until the EU changes the rules, most US and Canadian passport users remain inadmissible into Iceland. Of course Iceland could just say that they will give an Icelandic residence permit to all US or Canadian passport user traveling to Iceland, but the chances of an Icelandic government doing that this year is about as likely as a non-stop flight from Iceland to Yapp.
Exactly. Iceland will not be allowed to reopen to the US or other non-EU/EEA/EFTA states on 15 June unless Schengen as a whole does, and good luck with that tbh.

I fear many Americans or others who saw that news and started booking trips to Iceland for July or August will be quite disappointed.
Owenc likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Exactly. Iceland will not be allowed to reopen to the US or other non-EU/EEA/EFTA states on 15 June unless Schengen as a whole does, and good luck with that tbh.

I fear many Americans or others who saw that news and started booking trips to Iceland for July or August will be quite disappointed.
A few days ago, nobody could have predicted this so who knows what will happen. It's 2020. Go with the flow and see what life brings.
Old May 14, 2020, 6:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mcbg1
A few days ago, nobody could have predicted this so who knows what will happen. It's 2020. Go with the flow and see what life brings.
How many days ago is a “few days ago”?
Old May 14, 2020, 7:24 am
Suspended

I’ll possibly go and collect an Icelandic pony as a prize one of these coming days. But not an Icelandic dog.

Originally Posted by mcbg1
More than 5 days ago, opening internally for summer was being more than predicted. It was already being worked on and the governments had already made sure some airlines were clued in.

On May 11th, I clued people in on this here:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am saying that they are saying it will be opening at least a bit more internally — at least on some Balkanized basis — and that some airline service being resumed is being welcomed by the governments. Whether and how the governments stick to their representations or not is of course a gamble when resuming service/sales, but airlines also want the sales’ money they can get now even if it doesn’t pan out with delivering on the actual flight as booked/sold.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32365842-post519.html

Not sure that counts as a prediction when it had already been worked on and been making the rounds for days.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 14, 2020 at 7:36 am
Old May 14, 2020, 7:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
the European Union mostly let each EU country decide how to handle it.
It is not up to the EU to prescribe to member nations how to handle the response to virus infections.
Epicura likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Owenc
Because your states are reopening and allowing the virus to spread further. They should not be reopening.
Why? About 1/2 of the cases and deaths in the U.S. are in NY and the NYC overflow into NJ. Some states have almost no cases. Why should they be closed? Since re-opening FL and GA have seen a DECREASE in the number of cases. Beyond that every state NEEDS to open soon or we will have no economy left to save. Can anyone explain to me why we can't let healthy people under 65 go back to living their normal lives? If people with pre-existing conditions or other at risk populations want to stay home and continue isolating, no one is going to stop them.

And you don't think the American governemnt will have even stricter plans for us? I have been watching the broadcasts and many are now starting to blame Europe, including the New York Governor.
Cuomo is a joke. We all know it came from China. Sure some of the cases came from Europe to NY, but it's laughable to leave out that they came to Europe from China in the first place.

The EU does not want to exacerbate it's problems, by allowing people to visit from a country that is not taking the situation seriously.
How is the U.S. not taking it seriously? We have locked down the entire country for weeks, and done more testing than any other country. The point of lock downs was to flatten the curve so the healthcare system wasn't overwhelmed. Not for everyone to stay inside until no one is infected. As noted many times, the U.S. deaths per million #s are much better than W.Europe. It's not fair to compare the total # of cases or deaths between France for example and the U.S., considering the U.S. has a population around 340mm. If you add up the populations of Italy, Spain, UK and France, you're still about 100mm short of the U.S. population, but you have many more COVID deaths. Why isn't Europe doing more?

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I think you confuse Trumps' outbursts RE: Corona vs. what governors of e.g. NY and CA are doing. Newsom of California and Cuomo of New York are taking the situation very seriously.
Newsome and Cuomo are idiots. Cuomo created the problem in NY by not preparing the state at all and refusing to shelter in place in early March because he got into a pissing contest with DiBlasio. His poor actions directly impacted the severity in NY/NJ. As mentioned almost 1/2 of the total deaths and cases in the U.S. are in NY and the NYC spillover into NJ. Cuomo also instituted the brilliant policy of taking seniors discharged from hospitals and putting them back into nursing homes which killed hundreds if not more. He subsequently granted the nursing homes immunity from being sued likely to cover his own role. Great job Cuomo!

Originally Posted by Epicura
https://www.google.be/amp/s/www.bbc....urope-52491210

Belgium has been over reporting. Half of the fatalities are non-confirmed COVID19.

Many other countries do only count hospital deaths and only confirmed COVID19 cases.

Current numbers are also much lower by now, even when still counting non-confirmed deaths in care homes.
The U.S. is also massively over reporting deaths. If you get hit by a car but you have asymptomatic COVID...covid death. I recently read about a drug overdose that was counted as COVID. Health officials have said a patient could have terminal cancer, be in hospice with days to live, then if they contract COVID, they go in as a COVID death. Many hospitals are instructed to count anyone who died with respiratory issues as a COVID death even if there's no test. Dr. Birx stated she feels the CDC death #s may be 25% too high.

The entire world economy is in shambles. What needs to happen is that we open up and get on with it. 80k people died of the flu in the U.S. in 2017, did the entire world close? If we don't open soon, there will be no economy left to return to. People over 65, those with pre-existing conditions and those who work with or live with those people should continue to shelter in place. Healthy people under 65 need to get back to work and restart the world. Let's go already.

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; May 14, 2020 at 8:54 am
Old May 14, 2020, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Now, if you're willing to quarantine for 14 days upon entry to the EU, does it look like after that travel within the EU would be possible without the need to quarantine each time you cross into a new country? In the July/Aug range.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.