Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Immunity passport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2021, 2:08 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by tom911
What's the threshold for 'most", though? An NPR survey in the US this week found 30% of those surveyed do not plan to be vaccinated. Is a 70% vaccination rate enough to open up travel to all with no testing/vaccination documentation?
I would say it is. 70% is often mentioned as a target for full herd immunity and let's not forget that there will be quite a few people with natural immunity on top of that, so the overal number of immune people should be well above 70%. Of course covid will be here, it's not going anywhere, but it won't be epidemic anymore.

Originally Posted by Doppy
Most people in the US or UK will be vaccinated in a couple months.

Most people in many countries around the world? Could be a year.
Yes, but those countries will most likely remain closed (and they won't be very attractive destinations anyway). This should not affect the way EU or US reopen.

Originally Posted by 747FC
I actually did just that...in a limited way.

To the heart of the matter is that there would be great utility to have a Vaccination Passport (whatever the name). Currently, the federal government does not keep vaccination information of any kind in federal storage, and that task is left to individual states via the Immunization Information System (ISS). ISS specifies record keeping requirements. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/iis/index.html

It sure would be great if the Biden administration decided that the benefits of federal integration outweighed perceived risks and implemented a federal registry for those who wanted a Vaccination Passport.
But that does not solve the problem of medical authorities issuing vaccination certificate to people who were not vaccinated.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 2:22 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by the810
But that does not solve the problem of medical authorities issuing vaccination certificate to people who were not vaccinated.
I can’t speak for anyplace other than my state, where vaccinations are highly regulated and administered by institutions and not individual practitioners. There is an extremely remote chance of bogus documentation being issued with these controls.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I can’t speak for anyplace other than my state, where vaccinations are highly regulated and administered by institutions and not individual practitioners. There is an extremely remote chance of bogus documentation being issued with these controls.
Fake papers by foreigners seeking to enter the US/EU Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
That seems like Americas problem. Most countries will get over 90% maybe even 95%+ with enough eh... 'public interaction'. If we go from the data from Israel, the virus should be a thing of the past in that country, at which point why would they care who comes in?
A recent survey in Japan revealed only 62% were willing to receive the vaccine, dropping down to 54% for people between 20 and 49 years old. Of course these numbers will continue to decline over time, after the rollout is well underway and it becomes clear that the vaccines are safe and effective. Sadly, there is no place on earth where misinformation and disinformation has not infiltrated and infected the minds of a considerable percentage of the population. Fortunately, the science-deniers are quite prolific at infecting each other, so a significant number of the non-vaxxers will either have attained 'herd immunity' by prior infection, or they will die off if their body is incapable of fighting off the virus.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If the vaccine is to be administed by local clinics, doctors, practitioners or whatever -> then there is a high chance of corruption, esp. if an EU-wide scheme is to be adopted.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:15 am

Our vaccines in Pennsylvania are administered by your CVS, RiteAid and Walgreens pharmacists inside supermarkets... on top of that, there is a lot of small, local pharmacies "on the corner" which receive those vaccines as well to administer.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Our vaccines in Pennsylvania are administered by your CVS, RiteAid and Walgreens pharmacists inside supermarkets... on top of that, there is a lot of small, local pharmacies "on the corner" which receive those vaccines as well to administer.
Here you have it - What's the point of a digital immunity passport then?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by warakorn
Here you have it
Have what?
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
We "have it" that vaccinations are being done by a lot of different kind of parties across the country with control and standardization not being entirely uniform.

Originally Posted by warakorn
If the vaccine is to be administed by local clinics, doctors, practitioners or whatever -> then there is a high chance of corruption, esp. if an EU-wide scheme is to be adopted.
How's a Walmart-issued "immunity passport" or "immunity passport" contribution going to go? We have Walmarts across parts of the US that have Covid-19 vaccines being sent their way too.

This could be interesting for me since I'm sure there are going to be people that get vaccinated in the US against Covid-19 using vaccines approved for use by both the FDA and EMA but who may want to use a US vaccination record for whatever "immunity passport" stuff may end up coming into place in Europe. "Walmart?"
vanillabean likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:15 am

Programs: BA
You're gonna have Americans PayPaling some doctor in Panama $50 who will then issue them with the panamanian green pass whatever.

Replace Americans with whatever nationality, panama with xyz country and sooner or later countries will realise that immunity passports are not going to work.

Unless the entire process in every country is centrally controlled from getting the vaccine to the document being issued then it won't work.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was vaccinated by Orange County Health Department and there is a unique reference number attached. If they only receive 25 ref numbers for every vial of 25 doses of vaccine, and they have to record the names of who received them, there would be no way for doctors or pharmacies to give out more "certificates" than they received.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:57 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by invisible
If you fulfill entry and transfer requirements according to Singapore government- you will be allowed to entry and transit. Vaccination passport will be one of them.

You don’t fulfill the requirements - you won’t. Plain and simple.

It sounded like they were requiring some digital block-chain certificate of some kind. Something which many countries won't roll out.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
You're gonna have Americans PayPaling some doctor in Panama $50 who will then issue them with the panamanian green pass whatever.

Replace Americans with whatever nationality, panama with xyz country and sooner or later countries will realise that immunity passports are not going to work.

Unless the entire process in every country is centrally controlled from getting the vaccine to the document being issued then it won't work.
Familiar with the idea about perfection being the enemy of getting good accomplished when it comes to change management?

Most people traveling across borders are not going to engage in dishonest shenanigans of the above sort. And most adults would know or sense that such kind of deceptive behavior would be illegal. And that's even if the chances of getting caught were to be low.
Doppy likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I was vaccinated by Orange County Health Department and there is a unique reference number attached. If they only receive 25 ref numbers for every vial of 25 doses of vaccine, and they have to record the names of who received them, there would be no way for doctors or pharmacies to give out more "certificates" than they received.
The idea isn't that they will issue more certificates than doses, but that they will issue certificates to people who weren't vaccinated.

This is not new, anti-vaxxers have been doing it for years. Empty the dose into a sink / on the floor / wherever, issue the paperwork and you're done. Easy and completely untraceable.
​​​​​
Old Mar 18, 2021, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I said above, the idea that a tiny amount of fraud undermines the public health benefit is false.

Next are people going to say, "well if we can't guarantee that 99% of people are going to get the vaccine, let's not bother vaccinating anyone"?

If 1 in 10,000 Americans pays someone to forge a credential to travel instead of getting a (free) vaccine, that still means that 9,999/10,000 others were vaccinated and are protecting themselves and others. If vaccines are not required, the number unvaccinated will certainly be higher than the number of fraudsters if vaccines are required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.