Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Immunity passport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
there’s enough open right now that I’ll be ok for a while.
’Enough’?

Could you name which countries are allowing vaccinated people skip quarantine? I know two - Iceland and Georgia.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by invisible
’Enough’?

Could you name which countries are allowing vaccinated people skip quarantine? I know two - Iceland and Georgia.
I wasn't referring to countries that are just allowing vaccinated travelers to skip quarantine. I'd go back to places like Turkey, Serbia, Brazil, etc. Ones that are already open to all. Just not without a vaccine.

For the moment I'll tolerate the testing requirements et. al. I'm pretty desperate to travel. It was a big part of my life pre covid and being stuck at home for the past year has taken a toll on me.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:38 pm

A vision of the future for Americans? Who needs a vax passport when you've got herd immunity?

Charles Hymas
Sun, March 14, 2021, 9:47 AM

Turkey is set to become the first country to allow Britons in for summer holidays without requiring a vaccination certificate or negative Covid test.

The Turkish Government is so confident that the vast majority of Britons will be vaccinated by the Summer that it expects to be able to lift its requirement for holidaymakers from the UK to have a negative PCR test.

It means that Turkey will be open to Britons for summer holidays as soon as the Government lifts its ban on non-essential travel, expected as early as May 17.
https://news.yahoo.com/turkey-plans-...164725373.html
ExpatExp and the810 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:24 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I’m actually more suspicious of countries with minimal or no requirements than those which impose some requirements.

Last year Croatia had very liberal requirements and I believe they had outbreaks. Also the Balkan countries had reported low case rates but in retrospect, those numbers were suspect.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by exp
I’m actually more suspicious of countries with minimal or no requirements than those which impose some requirements...
Check out Florida. There was very little covid theatrics, yet the state is doing better than the US average. I guess warm climate didn't hurt either.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/13/u...a-booming.html
Pirrito, the810 and VCURamFan like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some countries don't want test results and/or antibody tests to be part of such "immunity passports". That indicates that it has come up to include these kind of things in some "immunity passports".

Originally Posted by exp
China is deploying vaccine passport for people going from HK to the mainland.

But only if they have been vaccinated with one of the Chinese vaccines.

https://viewfromthewing.com/china-in...-are-eligible/

The question is, will other countries accept vaccine passports showing vaccination with one of the Chinese vaccines being carried by Chinese tourists?

May come down again to money.
The UAE has been giving some of its inhabitants one of the Chinese vaccines, so I would assume that they will accept at least those vaccines that they have been allowing domestically. That said, I think most countries -- if they even get around to demanding an "immunity passport" from visitors -- will just come around to accepting vaccinated visitors from other places even if those foreign visitors used a vaccine that isn't approved for domestic administration.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by exp
I don't think the Chinese or the Russians plan to submit those vaccines to FDA or the EU equivalent?

That is why there will be skepticism about those vaccines in the West.
https://pharmaphorum.com/news/russia...covid-19-shot/
This article should answer both questions whether the US FDA or EMA for the EU, at least for the Sputnik V vaccine. I doubt the Chinese would bother with getting US FDA approval for their vaccines considering widespread ant-Asian sentiment expressed or trust issues in the general public that wouldn't line up to take up such a vaccines and an Biden Administration expressing misgivings on certain issues with China.

At the US FDA can look into companies they are familiar with and have facilities inside the United States they can inspect. It's easier to go after companies like AZ, Moderna, Pfizer, Novavax and J&J if something with vaccines goes horribly wrong, you can't do that with the ones made in Russia or China.

The EMA may entertain using vaccines from Russia and China, but the US FDA is very risk adverse.

If they conducted trials with the standards required by the FDA and the EU agency, I think there would be more confidence. Instead, we get some patchwork of data from UAE and Brazil, as well as Russia?
Other countries have their own standards so they are free to decide what data sets work for them, if they trust data from the US FDA and the EMA, then good for them. No country should rely on standards and decisions made from the US FDA or EMA to make the ultimate decisions, let alone have an increased confidence in a particular vaccine regarding the health and safety of their citizens.

The US FDA, for an example doesn't care for what the EMA or WHO does, they want datasets from participants from inside the United States, so Oxford-AZ will need to present their own data from US trials for consideration. Even J&J/Janssen and Pfizer-BioNTech had to present data from US trials even through they had assistance with their European partners from regulated countries.

It will be a difficult hurdle (or impossible) to get trial participants inside the United States to test out Russian and Chinese vaccinations.

I read that the PRC ordered some small volume of Pfizer vaccines. So who's getting those? Probably not a part of a wider vaccination rollout I'm guessing.

It'll be also telling which vaccines HK residents will get. They're reportedly getting enough Pfizer vaccine to cover a much higher percentage of the HK population than the amount ordered by the PRC would cover the Mainland population.
If some HK residents will be getting Pfizer then its assumed it was approved and acquired legitimately.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The UAE has been giving some of its inhabitants one of the Chinese vaccines, so I would assume that they will accept at least those vaccines that they have been allowing domestically. That said, I think most countries -- if they even get around to demanding an "immunity passport" from visitors -- will just come around to accepting vaccinated visitors from other places even if those foreign visitors used a vaccine that isn't approved for domestic administration.
The approval of what vaccines are approved for use and get distributed is mainly for the benefit for their own citizens and not so much how or where other citizens get their vaccine. They can easily mandate that foreign visitors use a mask in public spaces or anywhere outside their hotel or place of lodging.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Mar 15, 2021 at 3:08 pm
Old Mar 15, 2021, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by i0wnj00
It will be a difficult hurdle (or impossible) to get trial participants inside the United States to test out Russian and Chinese vaccinations.
Sputnik V vaccine and the existing raw data were made available to British researchers for testing & analysis. Their verdict was quite favorable.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55900622
I get the impression that Sputnik's main weakness was manufacturing inability of rapid scale-up.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 3:41 pm
exp
Suspended

Has Putin gotten the Sputnik V shots?

or his daughter?
Pirrito likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
US FDA won't approve the Russian or Chinese vaccines because 1) those vaccines aren't needed as we have 3 already and Astra-Zeneca will probably be approved at some point. And 2), I seriously doubt if the Russian or Chinese vaccines would ever be imported so it's moot to even try and get authorization.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by exp
Has Putin gotten the Sputnik V shots?

or his daughter?
His daughter got it, in August. She was one of the first ones to get vaccinated with Sputnik V
Putin is either doesn't want to get vaccinated or is going to wait.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 5:28 pm
exp
Suspended

They announced that she was going to get it

That was before any trial data, which they only recently released.

did she actually get it?
Pirrito likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by exp
They announced that she was going to get it

That was before any trial data, which they only recently released.

did she actually get it?
Politico reported she had, grain of salt and all that.

"Russia on Tuesday became the first country to officially register a coronavirus vaccine and declare it ready for use, despite international skepticism. President Vladimir Putin said that one of his daughters has already been inoculated."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...aughter-393455
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
Politico reported she had, grain of salt and all that...
There was a brief period when the upper echelon of Russian ruling class got advance access to the vaccine. That was a status symbol, and nobody else in the world had such an option at the time. So it's pretty believable that they all jumped to claim such vanity object.
GUWonder and sapman986 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Mr Tehan said Australia wants to work with Singapore on developing a digital vaccine passport that will prove that a traveller has been vaccinated. "We really want that digital vaccination passport up and running, operating, and in a way that we know that we can trust it," he said.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/au...-travel-bubble
lobo411 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.