Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Immunity passport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
To be clear, the International Certificate of Vaccination (Carte Jaune) is not just for Yellow Fever and it is indeed universal. This document also contains the International Certificate of Vaccination or Revaccination against Yellow Fever. The document overall is not specifically for Yellow Fever, and the section for Yellow Fever is just one of the four sections of the document.

However, the document does not currently contain any section for tests -- just vaccinations and other types of prophylaxis. At the moment, therefore, required tests have to be entered into the "Other" section at the end of the doucument. Perhaps this is something the WHO could address in a future update. But I certainly agree that this document could make sense as a starting point if some kind of standardised international immunity confirmation were to become possible or required.
The important distinctions are that:

1) That certificate is currently required for limited places/activities that many people will never need to be at or do.

2) Most anyone can get the right certificate by getting vaccinations

Implementing a system where a certificate is required and enforced to do almost any economic activity (or where the privilege of having it lets you go on vacation, earn even more, etc), and where the only way to intentionally get it is to deliberatly expose yourself (and then anyone you contact) with the virus IMO would create a catastrophic situation worse than anything else we're doing today. Mitigating it (by paying those who don't have it to stay home, making their tickets/trips refundable etc) would require even more draconian government decisions and market interference that I'd hate to see.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:32 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
These are valid concerns, but it's just an academic discussion unless you offer some practical alternative.
The reality is that we will likely need something to confirm immunity. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but the world economy isn't going to wait on your personal objections.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by jmastron
The important distinctions are that:

1) That certificate is currently required for limited places/activities that many people will never need to be at or do.

2) Most anyone can get the right certificate by getting vaccinations

Implementing a system where a certificate is required and enforced to do almost any economic activity (or where the privilege of having it lets you go on vacation, earn even more, etc), and where the only way to intentionally get it is to deliberatly expose yourself (and then anyone you contact) with the virus IMO would create a catastrophic situation worse than anything else we're doing today. Mitigating it (by paying those who don't have it to stay home, making their tickets/trips refundable etc) would require even more draconian government decisions and market interference that I'd hate to see.
Yes, these are also good points. Given that the Carte Jaune could indeed be used in this context (and despite the fact that it is not currently used in this context), it will be interesting to see if it (or something similar) is actually used for this purpose in the future.

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
The Dangerous History of Immunoprivilege
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/o...passports.html
Fascinating article.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some employers in the US are already thinking of requiring regular testing of employees who have to work onsite.

One could imagine a combined system requiring an immunity certificate or instant test for certain activities.

As it may be 18-24 months before 70%+ of the world has access to vaccinations (assuming they work and roll out on a very accelerated timeline), it seems implausible to me that a yellow fever vaccination-like requirement will NOT start to spring up in many places. The costs (economic and psychological) of will be too high to keep everyone at home indefinitely.

The expectation that everyone will stay home until nearly everyone is vaccinated is not based on reality; six weeks (or in some cases fewer) into lockdowns in the US and people are already protesting (yes, I recognize that there are organized campaigns promoting this, but if there weren't an underlying kernel, the protests wouldn't take place). And if Sweden is successful and reaches herd immunity in the next few weeks, lockdowns will become even more untenable in democracies when August comes around and everyone in the US is still stuck indoors and the economy is closed, while Swedes prance freely in the streets.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sweden won’t reach herd immunity in the next few weeks. Even the architect of Sweden’s response to the virus — namely, Anders Tegnell — is coming around to acknowledging that indirectly.

Being able to go out to buy food, medicine and to do exercise isn’t my idea of being stuck indoors. Most of the US seems to allow me to do the same stuff I’ve been doing in Sweden this week. Either way, I doubt that being in Sweden this month and next month will get me an “immunity passport”.
sdsearch likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 30, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Old May 26, 2020, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
When will we see immunity based travel permissions?

The most recent studies indicate that you cannot catch COVID twice. If someone has been tested and has antibodies, indicating they are immune, what's the argument for not allowing them to travel in or out of various countries? Likewise, what is the argument for not allowing people in if they are willing to submit to a 14-day quarantine?
Old May 26, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
To answer the question in your title, i hope never. I know of a few countries where doctors have no problem in issuing ICVP's(International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis) against a small amount of money, so i don't see them having any issue with faking some immunity certificate.
Pirrito likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: HH Diamond
No studies indicate you can't catch COVID twice. Most studies show a period of immunity. But they don't know how long it lasts. The immunity passport is being looked at, but I think they need further to understand how long immunity lasts.

I think the other big issue is the current accuracy of the immunity tests and too many false positives and false negatives.

This study suggests immunity might not last long (maybe only 6 months)

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/25/...says-new-study

The WHO isn't too confident that immunity passports will work:

https://www.who.int/news-room/commen...xt-of-covid-19
Old May 26, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I wouldn't mind buying such a passport!
🤔
Pirrito likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
No studies indicate you can't catch COVID twice. Most studies show a period of immunity. But they don't know how long it lasts. The immunity passport is being looked at, but I think they need further to understand how long immunity lasts.

I think the other big issue is the current accuracy of the immunity tests and too many false positives and false negatives.

This study suggests immunity might not last long (maybe only 6 months)

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/25/...says-new-study

The WHO isn't too confident that immunity passports will work:

https://www.who.int/news-room/commen...xt-of-covid-19
Immunity passports sound pie-in-the-sky. But I could see a revival of those old yellow WHO vaccination booklets that we had to carry with us when traveling outside of North America, certifying vaccinations for Cholera, Yellow Fever, etc.
Once there is a vaccine, of course.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deckter
To answer the question in your title, i hope never. I know of a few countries where doctors have no problem in issuing ICVP's(International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis) against a small amount of money, so i don't see them having any issue with faking some immunity certificate.
Sure there is always the risk of fraud, but don't you think that, on the whole, a requirement for, say, proof of a yellow fever vaccination substantially increases the number of people coming in that have actually had the vaccination?

Similarly here with an "immunity certificate" or proof of COVID vaccination - the goal doesn't have to be 100% compliance for it to work, the numbers just have to be high enough.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
Sure there is always the risk of fraud, but don't you think that, on the whole, a requirement for, say, proof of a yellow fever vaccination substantially increases the number of people coming in that have actually had the vaccination?

Similarly here with an "immunity certificate" or proof of COVID vaccination - the goal doesn't have to be 100% compliance for it to work, the numbers just have to be high enough.
I think you are underestimating that risk of fraud, considering that it's a certificate needed worldwide, not just useful for a few African nations, mostly by holidaymakers. Without a vaccine, it would immediately create two societies, the immunes, that get to travel for work and pleasure, maybe don't need to wear a mask anymore and "the plebs" that need to stay at home. Anyway, countries are opening up slowly, so we are able to travel as it is.
narvik likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
The most recent studies indicate that you cannot catch COVID twice. If someone has been tested and has antibodies, indicating they are immune, what's the argument for not allowing them to travel in or out of various countries? Likewise, what is the argument for not allowing people in if they are willing to submit to a 14-day quarantine?
FALSE INFO
The current thoughts are that you can. cf the USS Roosevelt where a good number of sailors got it twice https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...covid-19-again
Old May 27, 2020, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by knownothing
FALSE INFO
The current thoughts are that you can. cf the USS Roosevelt where a good number of sailors got it twice https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...covid-19-again
If catching it and recovering doesn't provide immunity, then presumably a vaccine won't either...so then what are we waiting for?

also

YOU CAN'T CATCH IT TWICE - SK
Old May 27, 2020, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
If catching it and recovering doesn't provide immunity, then presumably a vaccine won't either...so then what are we waiting for?

also

YOU CAN'T CATCH IT TWICE - SK
Unfortunately not enough is known about the corono virus. We do know that "The novel coronavirus behind COVID-19 belongs to a family of viruses that has a very uneven track record with the human immune system, With the four seasonal beta coronaviruses that circulate and cause all the upper respiratory infections you see in your practice, those people lose immunity in months to a year or two,"

We don't know enough
Plus it mutates,
Not all + tests are accurate
There are many viruses which do not confer immunity
There are many documented cases of recurrance
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...ing-immunity#1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.