Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Old Apr 7, 20, 10:42 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Mandatory swab tests for HKG arrivals starting tomorrow

Arrivals from UK have to stay for their results. Others can leave for their homes/hotels designated for their home quarantine and await results. https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0
Old Apr 7, 20, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Mandatory swab tests for HKG arrivals starting tomorrow

Arrivals from UK have to stay for their results. Others can leave for their homes/hotels designated for their home quarantine and await results. https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0
If the test is negative, would that clear you from the 14 days quarantine requirement?
Old Apr 7, 20, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So how do the quarantine hotels work, you have to pay to stay 14 days there and you can't get out.

Then and only then you would do whatever you planned to do in HK? So book your hotel AFTER you get out of quarantine?
Old Apr 7, 20, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
If the test is negative, would that clear you from the 14 days quarantine requirement?
Good question
I know the answer is no, you still continue to do 14 days' quarantine because Cap 599E still applies.

But why not waive Cap 599E if test negative? This one I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
So how do the quarantine hotels work, you have to pay to stay 14 days there and you can't get out.

Then and only then you would do whatever you planned to do in HK? So book your hotel AFTER you get out of quarantine?
Book your quarantine hotel before arrival.

Once released you can go do what you originally planned.
Old Apr 7, 20, 5:38 pm

"But why not waive Cap 599E if test negative? This one I'm not sure."

"If you test negative for COVID-19, you probably were not infected at the time your specimen was collected. However, that does not mean you will not get sick. It is possible that you were very early in your infection at the time of your specimen collection and that you could test positive later."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g/testing.html

After a few weeks quarantining and testing thousands of people, the CHP should have a lot of data about where the risk lies. If it turns out, say, that of those testing negative, none develops symptoms after something like a week, then there'd be practical grounds for reducing the quarantine period.
Old Apr 7, 20, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Well there are serological tests starting to be rolled out.

So they would presumably show that an individual has antibodies and would be immune.

I know that when you go from some developing countries to industrialized countries, I think you have to demonstrate immunity to various diseases like tuberculosis? Is there some certificate that they show immigration authorities or something?

Maybe a similar certification can become available for those who show seroconversion.
Old Apr 7, 20, 8:26 pm

So they would presumably show that an individual has antibodies and would be immune. I know that when you go from some developing countries to industrialized countries, I think you have to demonstrate immunity to various diseases like tuberculosis? Is there some certificate that they show immigration authorities or something?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_Jaune

Maybe a similar certification can become available for those who show seroconversion.
I would say if Carte Juane were to be accepted by countries and territories still imposing COVID quarantine against foreigners (including HKSAR CHP), the format has to be a lot more secure. Currently it looks as insecure as an International Driving Permit (all countries I rent cars in except Japan demand my HK licence as well).

(These listings were promptly taken down by Taobao once these pics were circulated but it did evidence fake Thailand paper test certificates were being traded)

Old Apr 8, 20, 1:10 am
Suspended

Hmm, like many paper-based documents, easy to forge.
Old Apr 8, 20, 6:16 am

Govt: anything that is closed will continue to be closed for 14 days to 23 April - incl pubs and bars, karaoke venues, mahjong parlours, nightclubs, gyms and amusement venues, and add beauty salons and message parlours to that http://cablenews.i-cable.com/ci/videopage/news/22528 .

Four person social distancing rules (incl restaurant eat-in) to continue to 23 April also.

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 8, 20 at 6:25 am
Old Apr 8, 20, 9:35 am

Programs: CX
Can anyone enlighten me as to why mainland Chinese arrivals are continued to be allowed in and not outright banned? Wuhan lifted its city ban today and some experts predict there could be up to 20,000 asymptomatic virus carriers from the city. This means that in 14 days, they could very well be roaming the streets of Hong Kong.
Old Apr 8, 20, 9:51 am

If I take off my China-hating hat, the entry restrictions into HK for China vs rest of world are roughly identical:

HK Permanent Residents:
- Unconditional Stay admitted throughout, subject to whatever home quarantine and/or swab tests Govt has specified

China:
- G簽 (Group visa) and L簽 (7-day visitor visa) issuance suspended on the NIA end at HKSARG's request
- 7-day transit visa suspended (either China-HK-overseas or overseas-HK-China)
- long-term work visas, S簽 (study visas), T簽 (family reunion visas) and one-way permits still admitted, subject to home quarantine

Rest of world:
- visitor visa-exemptions and visas suspended
- "HK residents" (i.e. anyone with a > 180 day visa) still admitted, subject to home quarantine and swab tests

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 8, 20 at 5:03 pm
Old Apr 8, 20, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
If I take off my China-hating hat, the entry restrictions into HK for China vs rest of world are roughly identical:

HK Permanent Residents:
- Unconditional Stay admitted throughout, subject to whatever home quarantine and/or swab tests Govt has specified

China:
- G簽 (Group visa) and L簽 (7-day visitor visa) issuance suspended on the NIA end at HKSARG's request
- 7-day transit visa suspended (either China-HK-overseas or overseas-HK-China)- long-term work visas, S簽 (study visas), T簽 (family reunion visas) and one-way permits still admitted, subject to home quarantine

Rest of world:
- visitor visa-exemptions and visas suspended
- "HK residents" (i.e. anyone with a >= 180 day visa) still admitted, subject to home quarantine and swab tests
I would have to respectfully disagree, the fact that visitor visas (whether exempt or visa required) are all suspended, but mainlanders can still come to HK via a multitude of ways (long term work, study, family reunion or one-way permit). Why not close those off as well? Especially one-way permits.
Old Apr 8, 20, 10:13 am

The key is that only Mainlanders with documents permitting at least a 14-day stay are permitted entry (VIPs etc apart), and that rule excludes all but a handful of Mainlanders, relatively speaking. Yesterday April 7 for example, only 84 Mainlanders entered HK (and 126 departed). However upset you may get about the principle involved, the numbers say Mainlanders are not in fact a problem now, and won't be unless the 14-day rule is relaxed.

As well, the Government posts the travel history of every confirmed virus case, and offhand I can't recall a recent case involving the Mainland: the UK cases have been overwhelming.
Old Apr 8, 20, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
The key is that only Mainlanders with documents permitting at least a 14-day stay are permitted entry (VIPs etc apart), and that rule excludes all but a handful of Mainlanders, relatively speaking. Yesterday April 7 for example, only 84 Mainlanders entered HK (and 126 departed). However upset you may get about the principle involved, the numbers say Mainlanders are not in fact a problem now, and won't be unless the 14-day rule is relaxed.

As well, the Government posts the travel history of every confirmed virus case, and offhand I can't recall a recent case involving the Mainland: the UK cases have been overwhelming.
Indeed, most of the imported cases are from the UK (returning students I believe). But these are in fact HK citizens, so accepting them is a duty (their right to come back).

I think it will be interesting to see if any such cases happen to be imported from the mainland and leading to the 3rd wave. While they may not be a problem now, closing the border in conjunction with tightening up local social distancing would hopefully snuff out the threat of the 3rd wave.

I remain skeptical, given that our CE announced in Feb that the borders will remain open in order to "not stigmatize mainlanders".
Old Apr 8, 20, 10:43 am

I think she's said opening the border without restrictions won't be on the cards till sometime in May, at least.

By then, we should have a reasonable sense whether the virus has re-emerged as a problem in Shenzhen. If by May 20, say, Shenzhen has been back to normal life for three weeks, it'd be hard to justify continuing the restrictions. Though to avoid a flood of long-frustrated shoppers, the restrictions might be gradually eased.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: