Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Three-four weeks now is an eternity in the current situation. Nobody knows what will be happening then. Personally I would take stock right now of what the costs to cancel are, what the options for change are, and then monitor the situation until a decision becomes clear and/or necessary. It is more than possible that BA will start cancelling more flights to US in the near future that might allow you to get a refund.
A family member had a 20k trip to Vietnam booked and departing last week. For weeks it looked like they would lose their money so they thought they'd go on the trip. A few days before the trip it was cancelled and they received their money back in its entirety. I agree. A week is an eternity with things changing so often.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Seems to be a mixed bag on rate reductions. I see killer price reductions at some properties and zero impact at others (e.g. Maui). But the situation is very fluid - makes sense to keep checking rates if you have travel planned for the next few months.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:57 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by stimpy
I ended up taking the bar staff out for drinks at an after hour place across the street.
Is that what we're calling it these days?
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Musken
Have a two week trip to Mexico planned for Easter. Do not want to cancel unless there is a negative travel advice by then. Fights and some hotels not possible to cancel.
not gonna happen. Border will be closed and you may be on lockdown as we are here in Kalifornia. I would just wait for airlines to cancel the flights or rebook free by the March 31 deadline.

Originally Posted by richarddd
Is Europe (I'm particularly interested in France) less safe than the US? The US doesn't seem well prepared or organized at the moment.
Putting aside the USA prep or lack thereof we’ve had a total of maybe 100 deaths in a population of 350MM. Hundreds of People are dying in Italy EACH DAY due to lack of medical equipment. With many places on lockdown here I expect the fatality curve will not be as step here.

I know where I’d rather be now and it’s definitely now Europe or China.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Boraxo
not gonna happen. Border will be closed and you may be on lockdown as we are here in Kalifornia. I would just wait for airlines to cancel the flights or rebook free by the March 31 deadline.
Putting aside the USA prep or lack thereof we’ve had a total of maybe 100 deaths in a population of 350MM. Hundreds of People are dying in Italy EACH DAY due to lack of medical equipment. With many places on lockdown here I expect the fatality curve will not be as step here.

That's not correct. Italy is going -fast - toward hospital saturation, but it's not there yet.
At this moment, the mentioned hundreds that are dying, are not dying for lack of medical equipment.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:17 pm

Had a really nice trip planned for late April. Sedona, Death Valley, and Vegas (staying at the Wynn thanks to the Wynn Slots app). But given that Vegas is basically shut down at the moment, probably going to have re-schedule for maybe September.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Putting aside the USA prep or lack thereof we’ve had a total of maybe 100 deaths in a population of 350MM. Hundreds of People are dying in Italy EACH DAY due to lack of medical equipment.
We lost a total of 219 according to worldmondo...

Give it a few more days; it's been shown that we are on the same trajectory as many European countries, just a few days (8-10?) behind...

Hospital staff in the PNW is assembling PPE supplies from hobby store supplies. Other hospitals are asking the local population for donations of gloves, gowns, masks and hand sanitizer.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:51 am
Aman Contributor Badge

[QUOTE=Boraxo;32207911]not gonna happen. Border will be closed and you may be on lockdown as we are here in Kalifornia. I would just wait for airlines to cancel the flights or rebook free by the March 31 deadline.

We are of course not travelling, but huge problems cancelling everything. Not possible to reach anyone.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
59 new deaths in the past 24 hours, per Covidtracking.com. The number of daily deaths climbs daily, e.g. Tuesday saw 19 more than Monday, Wednesday saw 22 more than Tuesday, Thursday saw 48 more than Wednesday, and so on. Bear in mind that we are 10 or 11 days behind Italy, with 5X the Italian population and a less resilient health care infrastructure, and... do the extrapolation. Without more extreme measures the US can easily be at 1,000 deaths per day in 30 days.

Yes, we have a number of big cities on lockdown (I'm in one of them right now -- Chicago -- it is spooky quiet here), but many more Americans are not observing severe conventions and a certain cohort still believes it's all fake news. The results of their choices will be evident in the transmission trend data in two or three weeks.

I'd take Singapore or Japan, where consensus culture lends a huge advantage at a time like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:53 pm

Covid

Originally Posted by offerendum
I will fly to Mallorca on Saturday. Was able to cancel hotel (biggest cost factor) until today but didn´t. Not ready to waste money foralready paid flights, rental cars etc. As many said not afraid of the virus, but to be "prisoned" on the Island or to be quarantined. To be honest I can´t understand all the Panic. As far as I know the 'Virus isn´t especially dangerous and every day many people die because of other viruses. So what....
In July I have bookings for Northern Italy and see nor reason to cancel (1 booking is non-refundable.). In November I have a booking for Thailand and if the Hype isn´t over until November I guess we are all dead
See this video here...
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Ricardo Teixeira
See this video here... https://youtu.be/_UNKr7ot5J8
I must say I was obviously wrong.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Off to Sydney tomorrow.
Then to Brunei, then Tokyo.

Peru/Bolivia two weeks later.

Then back to Japan and into Russia 10 days later.

June is island hoping in the South Pacific.

July moving to Europe to explore for 6 months.

I haven’t seen a single fact that gives me any reason to consider changing any plans.

(I have seen plenty of ridiculous opinions from people who apparently watch the news 24/7.)

You know what is going to *actually* hurt people?
The recession that happens because everyone stops Spending money and not investing.

*That* is going to cause real suffering to millions for years :/
Amazing how two weeks completely changes the world, isn’t it?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Amazing how two weeks completely changes the world, isn’t it?
Well yes, except the part about the recession hurting millions for years to come. Not us fat rich people here on Flyertalk, but the majority of the planet.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stimpy
Well yes, except the part about the recession hurting millions for years to come. Not us fat rich people here on Flyertalk, but the majority of the planet.
I know this has been said many times in many threads, and is insanely cliched, but I really do wonder what the new normal will be.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I know this has been said many times in many threads, and is insanely cliched, but I really do wonder what the new normal will be.
Maybe some new social norms such as not shaking hands or the bises as we do in France and other countries. But travel will certainly go back to normal. Quicker than many people think. Probably quicker than post 9/11. It will be interesting to look at the statistics afterwards and compare. As soon as the health care crisis (lack of masks, ventilators, ICU units, etc) is over, there will be a strong push to get the global economy back on track even though we will still be living with this coronavirus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.