Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:56 am

Got a 2 week luxury trip to Cambodia booked for the first 2 weeks in May (transiting via Vietnam). Not planning on cancelling unless UK FCO ban travel there or airlines stop flying. Rather hoping that Angkhor Wat might be a little quieter than normal! Like others, only concern is having to self isolate on return if it became necessary.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:13 am

Cancelled a trip that was supposed to start next week to Penang and also a trip for May to Belgrade.

Also, as the wife just arrived back yesterday from Frankfurt, gonna stay clear of others for a few weeks in case she is infectious, doesn't know it yet, and has passed it on to me.

Stocked up on groceries before she got home yesterday and am in an isolated cabin in the middle of nowhere. (That's where we already live, I didn't seek it out because of the virus).

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Mar 4, 2020 at 11:27 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
We are going to France in May ( Paris, Burgundy, and Provence). We are not planning to cancel however a 2 day event we were planning to attend may cancel. Just received notification today they will decide in the next week. We plan to go to France anyway with or without the event unless something really dire happens!
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:38 am

Just cancelled reservations at the end of this month for St. regis Venice and Four Seasons Florence. Like previous posters I was less concerned about contracting Covid-19 and more worried about forced quarantine or closed borders upon my return. Will Rebook for next year. Have travel planned to Asia + South Pacific for Fall and have no intention of cancelling it. Might do a quick US domestic trip to New Mexico or Arizona early April
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
99% sure not going to Singapore, Bangkok and Hua Hin in May. Probably cancelling planned family Fiji trip in November aa have a 3 month old and 2 year.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Not a single cancellation yet on all my planned and booked trips incl. Italy (South Tyrol) next month unless things change.

Impact seems quite large and growing, just look at current luxe property rates i.e. in BKK, PEK, HKG, etc. I guess the hotels in HKG are the worst hit (due to the demos and the virus) and wonder for how long some of them will survive this situation. They seem to get somewhat desparate: A friend of mine recently stayed at a luxe prop in HKG and while the hotel tried to maintain its rack rate, the goodies he negotiated to get thrown in made it the best deal of his life (generous food credit, guaranteed suite upgrade from entry-level room, airport limo transfers, guaranteed late c/o, free minibar incl. alcohol, free bf and a lot of high-value stuff from the hotel shop as welcome gifts).

This debacle is hitting Italy hard as some travel warnings don't differentiate between the affected regions and rest of the country prompting many people to avoid the country at all. But it does look to me that it has become a global problem already as most people seem to stop their vacation planning for foreign country trips right now, no matter how affected the specific country is right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some Amans to be even emptier than they usually are. Dire times for the industry.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA, SW, VA, Marriott, IHG, HH
Have a trip booked to Malaysia and Bali for August/September, will see how things go when it gets closer. Sister has graduation in Vancouver in late May, not sure if I'm gonna go or not, but flight isn't booked yet so that's flexible I guess.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:57 pm
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
My partner decided against going on a planned trip to Singapore in May. We then thought of going to London/Amsterdam instead but have decided against booking anything as yet and are thinking that we will just give traveling a pass for the time being. We usually try to go on a trip once a quarter, but we'll probably be skipping our Q2 trip. We'll see about Q3. As others have said, our main concern is about travel interruption, mandatory quarantines etc. It seems very clear that the infections in Europe and North America are going to get much worse before it gets better so no interest in trying to front-run the uncertainty.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
I just returned from Las Alcobas in St. Helena, Napa Valley. It was awesome!
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I’m thinking that I would get at least some notice and can drive across the border... rearranging international flights would be a pain. I don’t think he would be that stupid but well stranger things have happened....
possible understatement of decade

I agree that its the concern about massive overreaction and possible quarantine somewhere like a room at the Hilton Heathrow for two weeks that is my primary concern.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Trip this India, at the end of this week.. still going
Trip to Hong Kong cancelled (Feb )
Trip to Main Land China.. cancelled of course.. a while back (Early April)
Trip to England and Ireland still going (late April)
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:56 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I had booked a trip to China (Beijing, Xi'an) for next week at the Waldorf Astoria but that is obviously not happening now... Last minuet change to the Vancouver Canada at the Fairmont becuase of the self quarantine and the fact that Trump could screw with the boarders.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:00 pm

Everyone I know here in Hawaii involved in the hospitality industry is worried. I was planning on extending a couple of work trips to Seattle and Chicago. Now I am going to just going to do some stays here to support the local economy.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:36 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I wrote in another thread that I'm in India in April (flying SQ from SYD), Bali June (direct flight from SYD), Bali/Paris/Italy July (SQ/EY), Paris/Tel Aviv October (EY/QR), Austria December (EY). I don't plan on changing any plans unless a government refuses me entry or transiting becomes an issue. I'm assuming as weather warms up the virus will start to slow down similar to how SARS just basically disappeared with no actual vaccine / treatment. I'm not really interesting in changing my plans for a flu-like virus which has a mortality rate of 0.2% in my age bracket. And if I get quarantined on my return, I'm not so worried about that.
offerendum and FlyerEC like this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 3:43 pm

Trip to Italy

I’m actually considering a trip to Tuscany. I feel being careful. Hygiene. Smart. It could be a great uncrowned time. I’ve found round trip for under $500. I’m sure hotels or Airbnb would be cheap too.

I guess my largest concern is not being able to return? I can think of worse places to stay for awhile tho

thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.