Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:50 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Musken
Have a two week trip to Mexico planned for Easter. Do not want to cancel unless there is a negative travel advice by then. Fights and some hotels not possible to cancel.
Flying home from Zihua today. Thus far no disruptions but have yet to go through immigration at LAX. am planning a return to Zihua after Easter, assuming no border disruptions, quarantines. Will monitor closely. Some good deals in Mexico if one is flexible.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IKDR
Got a 2 week luxury trip to Cambodia booked for the first 2 weeks in May (transiting via Vietnam). Not planning on cancelling unless UK FCO ban travel there or airlines stop flying. Rather hoping that Angkhor Wat might be a little quieter than normal! Like others, only concern is having to self isolate on return if it became necessary.
Have you seen this? https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...after-pictures

We're flying to BKK and straight on to Cambodia on Saturday. Our plans haven't changed, we're looking forward to the big sites being less crowded than usual!
IKDR likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:02 am

So I have a special trip coming up on the 4th April, its both mine and the Mrs' 40th this year so we booked with BA first class and high end hotel - now Seattle seems to be the epicenter for US outbreaks of covid-19 - I'm completely screwed because if I want to cancel or change I lose everything I paid? or should I just throw caution to the wind and enjoy an empty Seattle?

I have thought about hiring a car and just driving round the countryside and national parks and just staying in the hotel. Am I being too paranoid?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:28 pm

Good luck! Even if things are opened, they have so many restrictions you hardly will be able to enjoy yourselves!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jamman
So I have a special trip coming up on the 4th April, its both mine and the Mrs' 40th this year so we booked with BA first class and high end hotel - now Seattle seems to be the epicenter for US outbreaks of covid-19 - I'm completely screwed because if I want to cancel or change I lose everything I paid? or should I just throw caution to the wind and enjoy an empty Seattle?

I have thought about hiring a car and just driving round the countryside and national parks and just staying in the hotel. Am I being too paranoid?
Three-four weeks now is an eternity in the current situation. Nobody knows what will be happening then. Personally I would take stock right now of what the costs to cancel are, what the options for change are, and then monitor the situation until a decision becomes clear and/or necessary. It is more than possible that BA will start cancelling more flights to US in the near future that might allow you to get a refund.
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by Jamman

This is the definition of paranoid

Why not go and enjoy yourselves. Its not a zombie apocalypse.

Also, things might be less busy (but the homeless will certainly be everywhere).
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
This is the definition of paranoid

Why not go and enjoy yourselves. Its not a zombie apocalypse.

Also, things might be less busy (but the homeless will certainly be everywhere).
OK, right now a trip from Europe to the US is not a great idea but otherwise I agree. Will be interesting to see how long the chaos will last.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:09 am

Unhappy

I planned to go to Rome for conferences in May. Unfortunately, everything was canceled after buying the flights
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KatW
Flying home from Zihua today. Thus far no disruptions but have yet to go through immigration at LAX. am planning a return to Zihua after Easter, assuming no border disruptions, quarantines. Will monitor closely. Some good deals in Mexico if one is flexible.
Nope, I am checking flights from California to MEX or GDL for early April. The price are the same as before, no bargains.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
I am going to disagree with you here in part. I don't disagree with your general supposition but when I am at home in the US due to the fact I can work from home full-time, I can go days, maybe a week or more without any physical interaction with another human if I choose. If I travel I have to interact with a lot of other humans (I mean what is the point of travelling if I am just going to hole up in an AirBnB/hotel). So to me even if the US is on average more risky than say Taiwan, I am still better able to isolate myself in the US. All that said I still plan on traveling in the near future but I do see it as an increased risk of exposure because I will not be practicing nearly as much social distancing as I do at home. As with everything YMMV.
OK. It sounds like your best travel destination is Taiwan. :-))
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by budumpst
Have a trip booked to Malaysia and Bali for August/September, will see how things go when it gets closer. Sister has graduation in Vancouver in late May, not sure if I'm gonna go or not, but flight isn't booked yet so that's flexible I guess.
i changed our flights to go to Malaysia/Cambodia and Singapore mid September as well. Hoping 5 months is enough time for everything to quieten down.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:05 pm

I am currently in a gorgeous hotel in Aswan, Egypt. Hardly any people are here, but I’m flying home tomorrow to Boston. Originally scheduled for March 25, but flights being cancelled left and right...
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Orient Express are still going to Venice
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA, SW, VA, Marriott, IHG, HH
Originally Posted by Desirees
i changed our flights to go to Malaysia/Cambodia and Singapore mid September as well. Hoping 5 months is enough time for everything to quieten down.
Fingers crossed!
Desirees likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Barrheadlass
I am currently in a gorgeous hotel in Aswan, Egypt. Hardly any people are here, but Im flying home tomorrow to Boston. Originally scheduled for March 25, but flights being cancelled left and right...
I was at the Intercontinental Boston March 13th and 14th. I ended up taking the bar staff out for drinks at an after hour place across the street. I was feeling very sorry for them as they will likely soon be laid off.
BearX220 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.