Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 and impact on luxury hotels/travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Was supposed to fly CX and stay in Huvafen Fushi in 10 days time so have postponed the trip. And have cancelled St Regis KL for a stay end of the month.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:34 pm

Canceled a leisure trip to AZ and canceled a trip to NYC due to the cancellation of the UN's commission on the status of women events.

I know a ton of people were at the Hilton Millennium for that conference so that has got to be a sizable hit to their bottom line.

Like most have mentioned, less concerned about catching the virus (wash hands, don't touch face), but more concerned about getting quarantined in a hotel or plane for an extended period of time.

Also not leaving the country anytime soon since we could see the borders closing if things head down hill.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Have a trip to Italy in late May... I'm mostly worried about flight cancellations, sites being closed and getting stuck / quarantined. Also my parents are supposed to join in Rome. Even though Rome is fine now, they are over 70 and stats don't look great for people in that age group. We're watching and waiting until the hotel cancellation deadline.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:47 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Have a two week trip to Mexico planned for Easter. Do not want to cancel unless there is a negative travel advice by then. Fights and some hotels not possible to cancel.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:56 am

Taiwan and Vietnam planned for early April, will proceed as booked.

I have the luxury of being able to work from home if self quarantine is imposed.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by ngfan
Not a single cancellation yet on all my planned and booked trips incl. Italy (South Tyrol) next month unless things change.

Impact seems quite large and growing, just look at current luxe property rates i.e. in BKK, PEK, HKG, etc. I guess the hotels in HKG are the worst hit (due to the demos and the virus) and wonder for how long some of them will survive this situation. They seem to get somewhat desparate: A friend of mine recently stayed at a luxe prop in HKG and while the hotel tried to maintain its rack rate, the goodies he negotiated to get thrown in made it the best deal of his life (generous food credit, guaranteed suite upgrade from entry-level room, airport limo transfers, guaranteed late c/o, free minibar incl. alcohol, free bf and a lot of high-value stuff from the hotel shop as welcome gifts).

This debacle is hitting Italy hard as some travel warnings don't differentiate between the affected regions and rest of the country prompting many people to avoid the country at all. But it does look to me that it has become a global problem already as most people seem to stop their vacation planning for foreign country trips right now, no matter how affected the specific country is right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some Amans to be even emptier than they usually are. Dire times for the industry.
LMAO. Rack rate under the conditions of a pandemic pathogen in HKG of all places. Yeah, right. What a joke. Hope these properties go belly up. They can shove their rack rate up their back room.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:59 am

I’m leaving in a few hours for a long ago booked three week long trip to Jordan then Egypt. I’m most concerned about all the hours in planes, 16 for me today, plus long connections at JFK and Cairo. The trip is a tour for 16 people. It’ll be interesting to see how many don’t come.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:10 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I have cancelled all my holiday trips and non-essential travels for the past two months. My only upcoming trip is my long holiday to USA and that one might also be up in the air depends on how the situation unfolds. Personally, I do not think the virus is that lethal as most people only get mild symptoms like common cold, but it's the hysteria and panic and government enforced action as a result that makes it very inconvenient to travel without high risk.

I think if this drags on any longer, we are going to start reading most of these properties are going to start shutting down one by one. How long can they go on with occupancy at 20% or less?
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:12 am

We have a month-long trip to South Africa and Namibia coming up in April. No cases reported yet in either country so I remain hopeful the virus won't affect this trip.

For our 45-day trip to Italy and the South of France in May and June however we have decided to rent a camper van. This way we can avoid certain areas if necessary. Instead of going to Italy we might change our plans and go to Spain or Portugal or the Nordics instead depending on the situation at that time. It won't be luxurious but non-luxurious travel is better than no travel in our eyes!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by drsh99
I just hiked the Grand Canyon with 2 nights at Bright Angel lodge, dinner at el Tovar and one night in a 2 person cabin at Phantom Ranch (tough but doable hike), followed by a night in Sedona and 2 nights at Hacienda del Sol (historic luxury resort) in Tucson. All locations had lots of cancellations and are wide open for wonderful, memorable vacations right now. Stop by Sedona and Canyon de Chelly or any other magical high desert locations between the canyon and tucson for a great vacation. Skip phoenix.
Im definitely going to head west. I was looking at the Ritz Dove mountain (Not typically a fan of RC but have always heard good things about this location) but Hacienda del Sol looks quite nice! Will have to make a decision between the two. Then I'll probably drive up to see the Petrified Forest and end with a few nights somewhere in Sedona.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:58 am

Personally I don’t fear the health impact at all, however as others mentioned, there are several bad scenarios that can play out:

- Airlines cancelling at the last minute, impacting prepaid plans
- airlines cancelling return trips
- Hotels going into quarantine with me in it
- Being quarantined in the hospital with less than stellar standards
- Quarantine location standards crashing due to excess sick people
- random government knee jerk reactions such as travel bans or being stuck in airports

Just too many unknowns.

We are probably just going to stay in europe and expect being stuck at home
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by smithsonga
I’m actually considering a trip to Tuscany. I feel being careful. Hygiene. Smart. It could be a great uncrowned time. I’ve found round trip for under $500. I’m sure hotels or Airbnb would be cheap too.

I guess my largest concern is not being able to return? I can think of worse places to stay for awhile tho

thoughts?
Had the same idea
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:25 am

I did not go with dear husband on a fishing trip to Abaco, Bahamas in February. Will not join him on next trip in April. Due to respiratory issues, I will not fare well if I get this virus.
For healthy individuals and those with no relatives in higher age groups I think the big risk is risking being quarantined.
The travel industry is going to have a very bad bottom line this year.
offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
We have a month-long trip to South Africa and Namibia coming up in April. No cases reported yet in either country so I remain hopeful the virus won't affect this trip.

For our 45-day trip to Italy and the South of France in May and June however we have decided to rent a camper van. This way we can avoid certain areas if necessary. Instead of going to Italy we might change our plans and go to Spain or Portugal or the Nordics instead depending on the situation at that time. It won't be luxurious but non-luxurious travel is better than no travel in our eyes!
Not any longer: South Africa first case today, March 5, 2020. Things are happening so fast you literally have to have a scrolling screen to keep up. Italy sees another 41 dead!
The South Africa case involves a man returning there from Italy trip.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:52 pm

We are supposed to go to Venice, Rome and Ravello mid April to the 27th. Staying at Cipriani in Venice, Spalletti Trivelli in Rome and Caruso in Ravello. Belmond has been very nice in keeping me updated. I just feel bad for everything they are going through in Venice. Spalletti also has been very nice. I really want to go (family trip) but of course the decision is probably out of my hands. Still have not cancelled, waiting a couple more weeks as this situation just keeps changing. Who knows they may not want Americans there in a month, lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.